Sign in to follow this  
Mungous

New(ish) member

I joined a while back with a view to getting an M3 of some kind (to satisfy my M cravings after selling the M5 I had while overseas), and finally found one I liked at the right price.

Have done a couple of track days in the M3, and am already worried about the addictive nature of it... But promised the accounts department I wouldn't spend too much on modifying it. That said, a dedicated set of wheels and semi-slicks for track days seems like a good way of not wearing out the Michelins!

Pics of both cars:

post-13057-1353318614.jpg

post-13057-1353318639.jpg

Edited by Mungous

Yeah, I found out at an early age that modifying cars to make them go fast is a false economy - just buy a fast car to start with!

Wow great cars!

What made you choose a M3 over the M5 this time round?

Both great cars though and last of all welcome! :)

What made you choose a M3 over the M5 this time round?

I know I'll be preaching to the choir here, but the M5 has got to be the best all-round car in the world. To qualify that statement, I know it is a bit of a "compromise" car, in that there are other cars that are faster, cars that handle better, some have more space, many are cheaper (to buy and to maintain) and some are better looking. But no other car scores so consistently highly across all those areas. (And I also hear rumours that a Prius uses slightly less gas.)

When overseas, I only had space for one car but needed to be able to transport visiting family and friends. (And who needs a Prius when gas was as cheapity-cheap-cheap as in the Middle East?)

But back in NZ, my parameters changed. The cost of fuel for one thing. Also, I need to carry bulky objects (like bikes and stuff). But having a garage meant I could have more than one car. So for my daily driver, something that is cheaper to buy and run, uses less gas and has space for lots of stuff is needed. So that's where a diesel estate comes in.

I still had a hankering to hit the track and drive for fun, and a diesel estate is not going to tick those boxes. Without having to worry about fuel economy, space and comfort for rear seat passengers (and remembering how awesome the M5 was), the M3 was a bit of a no-brainer...

Well done on the M3 and welcome, great car's.

Good luck with the accounts department.