Sign in to follow this  
Filth

BMW E39 2001 Petrol Issue

Hi Guys,

I bought my E39 around two weeks ago now... it's been an absolute dream so far and loving it however...

A complete retard at the petrol station offered to fill my car up - I said sure just $80 of 95... she puts in 91... Today when I was driving the car it started shaking whilst idling and the engine came on.

I have put in an octane booster in the fuel tank and filled the rest of the car up with 95 which so far seems to be doing the trick.

I'm posting on here to see if anyone has had the same unfortunate issue happen to them and any possible problems I may expect if any?

Hi Guys,

I bought my E39 around two weeks ago now... it's been an absolute dream so far and loving it however...

A complete retard at the petrol station offered to fill my car up - I said sure just $80 of 95... she puts in 91... Today when I was driving the car it started shaking whilst idling and the engine came on.

I have put in an octane booster in the fuel tank and filled the rest of the car up with 95 which so far seems to be doing the trick.

I'm posting on here to see if anyone has had the same unfortunate issue happen to them and any possible problems I may expect if any?

shouldnt cause any problems at all.Not sure the engine light would come on just cause its got 91 in it

shouldnt cause any problems at all.Not sure the engine light would come on just cause its got 91 in it

Yeah I thought the same too but thought I'd let it get through the tank, put in a full tank of 95 then see if it goes away... service is due next month

I'd recommend getting it looked at, The 91 won't cause much issue maybe a back fire more common in V8. but the engine light would worry me, its possible that the fuel filter is starving the engine but more likely a sensor or something. I'd get it scanned. easier than waiting for issue to develop.

Get the timing chain guides checked after you get it scanned.

Youll be looking for a Cam position out of range error.

On M54?

Didn't know they had timing chain issues. Learn something everyday.

Will do thanks mate!

Were there any faults when the pre-purchase inspection was done ??