Sign in to follow this  
E30 325i Rag-Top

Just Been For A "Bedding In" Drive.

Back from a short spin through a few twisties trying to bed these new bad boys in..

post-2707-1354009619.jpg

Will be interesting to see how they come on after a few hundred kms and a bit more confidence to stand on them. B)

Awesome

How did you go about bedding them in?

I need to do this with the new M3 brake setup I put on recently, although I need to finish the exhaust before I can take it for a run.

I've done some research so got a fair idea on the dos and don'ts but just curious to hear how others went about it themselves.

Fairly similar to what it says in that article I guess.

Do when there is not much traffic about on quiet roads, so you can speed up and brake as you want without getting in the way of others.

Some very light application of the brakes to start with, knocking any high spots of rotors and pads...

Then into some long, light application of the brakes, raising the temperature and taking the surface layer off the top of the pads and rotors..

Finally a bit more speed, and some fairly heavy application of the brakes, not quite to the smoke generating point of the article but then these aren't race pads.. key point is not to come to complete stop so pad is resting on a part of the rotor...

And then a gentle cruise home to cool them down again.

Different types of pads may require different procedures, if they are full-on race pads then there may well be some instructions with them, I've found the above has worked well for me across a variety of cars, pads and rotors.