Sign in to follow this  
vendt

E46 330I AIR PUMP HELP

Hi all emission air pump has died my mechanic reckons not really needed in NZ :huh: does anyone run there car with out this or do i need to replace it? my car's a e46 330i m-sport 2000 if that helps.thanks

Edited by vendt

Not needed, throw it away.

Hi all emission air pump has died my mechanic reckons not really needed in NZ :huh: does anyone run there car with out this or do i need to replace it? my car's a e46 330i m-sport 2000 if that helps.thanks

What a lazy mechanic.

It not even on all of them anyway is it? Isn't it (mostly) only for US, Japan and Aussie?

my E39 doesn't have EGR or the pump, from factory.

What a lazy mechanic.

Ha's a very good mechanic,he just said there's no point spending $$$$ on a part you don't need, ask your mechanic if the part is needed if he say's yes then maybe you should change mechanics ^_^

It's on for thirty seconds whe the engine is stone cold, it pumps air into the exhaust syytem, it does not require to be there. Remove and throw away. If they work then leave them be.

It not even on all of them anyway is it? Isn't it (mostly) only for US, Japan and Aussie?

my E39 doesn't have EGR or the pump, from factory.

Our NZ 330i doesn't, but the NZ 540 does. shrugs

Bin it.

It's on for thirty seconds whe the engine is stone cold, it pumps air into the exhaust syytem, it does not require to be there. Remove and throw away. If they work then leave them be.

Thanks Greg i will take your advice on this one, just don't understand why the mechanics and parts people on site want to sell me something i don't need :lol: :lol: :lol: cheers have a good weekend

I disconnected pump last night drove to work today,about 1hr drive in total on open roads checking fuel usage and it stayed the same,performance seemed a little better or maybe it was just in my head B) sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

Does it trigger a CEL light when it's removed/non-functional?

no warning lights came on.

No it won't, it's simply an air pump for emissions.

No it won't, it's simply an air pump for emissions.

I'm aware of that... the reason I asked is that the CEL is designed to monitor the emissions system, or rather the systems of the car that keep it running with the lowest possible emissions. At least that's what my manual leads me to believe.

I just find it strange that they wouldn't connect this pump to the system which monitors everything, perhaps because it was not market specific.

It seems it bypasses all that, it pumps air into the system to burn off all the excess gas, the 02 sensors are constantly reading and adjusting.

It seems it bypasses all that, it pumps air into the system to burn off all the excess gas, the 02 sensors are constantly reading and adjusting.

hi greg your ganna hate this question,but what do i do with the holes where the secondary valve goes?cheers