Sign in to follow this  
RvT

e36 Door Coupe Opening Issue

Hi All

Someone at work showed me an e36 325 coupe he had just bought for his daughter. Nice ride and well priced but to open the door up, he has to push it in slightly for the door handle to allow it to pull open. It happened on both the doors which is strange as I would have assumed it would be driver door only due to higher use. The first thought is the striker plate needs adjusting but thought I would post here in case it is something else others have experienced.

Thanks

Ron

parts on the outer door handle break ,

plastic bush perrish and fall off

ali brackets break and you have to pull up much higher etc.

have the parts if needed

ls the door glass dropping a about 1.5 cm when the door handle is pulled. If not this would make it harder to open and close door.

I had this issue with both my E36 and the parents E36, both drivers and passengers door, got extremely frustrating as it made it almost impossible to open the doors. This may or may not work for you, but worked mint for both these 2, over a year now hasn't happened again. I just lubricated (CRC) the latch/tongue clip in the side of the door whilst the door was open and manually clipped it (simulate the door closing) and open with the handle and repeated a few times. Worked a treat, is worth a shot. ^_^

I had they same problem on my sedan but only on drivers door, and then the arm on the inside snapped so had to replace the whole handle

You are right - the striker plate needs adjusting outwards. When loosening the Torx screws, be careful not to remove them entirely - there is a metal plate on the other side of the body which holds the striker in place. If you remove the screws entirely this plate will fall into the body and although the wire will probably keep it in sight, it is a pain to screw it back on again.

In my case only a tiny adjustment was needed to make it reasonably easy to open again. Any more and the door would open really easily but it looked like it wasn't fully shut when closed. If this doesn't work then I have read replacing the latch helps.