Sign in to follow this  
jjs

Clive Matthew-Wilson

Drivers locked in to high key costs

Another idiotic quote from the Dog and Lemon Guide authour Clive Matthew-Wilson... Why do media always go to him? No one in the motoring respects him, and his opinionated crap is very rarely based on fact.

This recent article claims that dealers "gouge" customers by charging too much for spare keys on modern vehicles.

A dealer buys product from an importer and then applies a standard mark up. Why would a dealer think, "wow, lets see if we can get away by putting a massive mark up on keys because customers have no choice". I am sure dealers hate charging the amounts that they do for additonal keys and probably cut their margin as they feel awkward about the asking price. But remember, the dealer doesn't set the price!

Whenever a friend tells me about something they have read in the Dog & Lemon Guide I just laugh in their face...

I don't know about anyone else here but if I were a dealer I would charge a higher margin on keys.... precisely because there is no alternative. What a great way to make extra margin when it's a non-commodity product.

Just out of interest - what does he do outside of the Dog and Lemon guide? I wouldn't think that would be enough to make someone a reasonable living.

I don't know about anyone else here but if I were a dealer I would charge a higher margin on keys.... precisely because there is no alternative. What a great way to make extra margin when it's a non-commodity product.

That would be a very "short term" decision. I know the new car industry is heavily focussed on reducing ownership costs (via service plans, reducing part prices and the like) as perceived high cost of servicing etc is a big reason people will not buy a particular brand again.

Just out of interest - what does he do outside of the Dog and Lemon guide? I wouldn't think that would be enough to make someone a reasonable living.

exactly

That would be a very "short term" decision. I know the new car industry is heavily focussed on reducing ownership costs (via service plans, reducing part prices and the like) as perceived high cost of servicing etc is a big reason people will not buy a particular brand again.

okay, so buy a Kia. Its better than your BMW right?

unless you leave your spare keys on the back seat of your car (cough) then your never going to have this problem anyway. I've only ever cut another key for cars I've purchased the previous owner cant be bothered to find the spare keys for

Oh how I hate the Dog and Lemon Guide.

also some of the more tricky keys, like 4-way cut E34 keys ect.. actually are not simple to cut... a generic locksmith can't cut one at all. Mine had to be Laser cut with a special machine... and cost $46.

and most of the cars with simple to cut keys can be broken in with a f**king dinner fork anyway....

Best way to do it?

1. Don't buy a POS Used Import with only one key.

2. Don't lose your key like a retard.

To give them credit... the things they listed that go wrong with FIAT Punto's did with the GFs car. But anybody that knows FIATs could've told us that. And it hardly had any helpful suggestions like the ECU in a plastic bag tip the mechanic gave us! (Only a week too late).

But I've always bought vehicles they rate poorly. Euros.

The guy is a total f**kwit...if you listened to him youd be in a horse & cart.....& he'd still find plenty wrong with that

Don't loose ya bloody keys then, I've got 3 for my 3 series, two main keys, one little grey one.

"He estimates between $1.50 and $2.50 to manufacture a key" - I don't think so...

Regardless of the cost of manufacture, I find it hard to believe that some manufacturers have a legit basis for their charges other than "you can't get it from anyone else, nah nah nah nah nah".

Toyota Avensis (Caldina sedan) in the UK - we had two keys, button on one would not work. I took it apart, the chip itself was fine, as was the key - just needed a new case.

Would Toyota sell me one though? F*** no! "You can only have a complete new key as we don't sell key parts, that'll be GBP123.50 please, and another 40GBP for coding it". 7GBP on ebay later, I have a used replacement case. Not ideal, but it worked.

Can't say it doesn't leave a bad taste in the mouth...