Sign in to follow this  
jeffbebe

Lumbar support replacement

Okay, here's the situation: The driver's side lumbar support was b*ggered in my car and had become pretty uncomfortable to drive (I'm getting old!). I picked up a working secondhand active seat from Brent but neither of us realised (until I'd installed it) that the newer one didn't have the steering column adjustment wiring harness. So the new seat throws up an airbag fault.

I want to put the original seat back in to clear the fault (before WOF time in Feb) and fit the working lumbar support from the other seat. It doesn't look to complicated to swap the lumbar supports, just got to clip some cable ties and unhook the thing (unfortunately I have no idea what's wrong with the old one so probably best to swap the whole assembly) but I don't have the right tools to remove the seat.

I have been gradually recolouring spare leather skins and was planning to get an auto trimmer to reassemble but have run out of time and money to do that. Just wondering if anywhere on here might be able/willing to help - or has some experience of changing seat parts. I can pay or bring beers or whatever.

Thanks in advance.

I've taken the old one apart and it looks reasonably straightforward... I hope. My bigger issue is getting the seat out, I don't have the torx screwdrivers required and can't seem to find them anywhere (tried Repco and local Placemakers, Mitre 10, etc).

Got mine via Supercheap. They are similar to Allen key L style tools. Also brought one of their plastic trim removal sets which is great for getting trim apart without marking it.

I like the idea of lumber support and was thinking of retrofitting to m3 seats at some stage.

Got mine via Supercheap. They are similar to Allen key L style tools. Also brought one of their plastic trim removal sets which is great for getting trim apart without marking it.

I like the idea of lumber support and was thinking of retrofitting to m3 seats at some stage.

Thanks I'll give them a try. The lumbar support mechanism is a bit fragile IMO but the extra comfort it provides (for an old bugger like me) is second to none. Couldn't do without it now on longer drives.

I have one of these sets, except i think powerbuilt branded. http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-...n-550740525.htm

Thanks. Picked up a set at Supercheap... Now just need to take the plunge, preferably with the help of someone who knows what they're doing!

All very confusing. When I originally got the codes scanned after the replacement seat had been put in the fault code for the lit airbag warning said incorrect control module - which I interpreted to be the missing steering column adjustment wiring in the replacement seat.

Tom (M3_Power) very kindly offered to see if he could recode this weekend just gone and after playing around with a while cleared all the old faults and found that the airbag fault registering now relates to a faulty seatbelt tensioner on the driver's side. A much easier fix admittedly which is a relief with the warrant due soon but still want to sort the steering column adjustment.

Anyway, just wanted to say a big thanks to Tom for putting aside a bit of his weekend to help out.

All very confusing. When I originally got the codes scanned after the replacement seat had been put in the fault code for the lit airbag warning said incorrect control module - which I interpreted to be the missing steering column adjustment wiring in the replacement seat.

Tom (M3_Power) very kindly offered to see if he could recode this weekend just gone and after playing around with a while cleared all the old faults and found that the airbag fault registering now relates to a faulty seatbelt tensioner on the driver's side. A much easier fix admittedly which is a relief with the warrant due soon but still want to sort the steering column adjustment.

Anyway, just wanted to say a big thanks to Tom for putting aside a bit of his weekend to help out.

This is Modus operandi for Tom - I am a little ashamed to say that Tom did similar for me but not a weekend - New Years day!!!! Such members make this place pretty special

This is Modus operandi for Tom - I am a little ashamed to say that Tom did similar for me but not a weekend - New Years day!!!! Such members make this place pretty special

Hear hear.