Sign in to follow this  
qube

535i e34 - any kind of feedback

3k is a bit low considering it is fairly well spec'd, 3.5-4k would be more reasonable assuming every thing is in order.

Just needs a manual conversion and an lsd and it would be iS spec

What are some common issues with e34s? Anything in particular to look out for when inspecting?

wheels could be worth a grand with tyres to the right person. I dont look at pics of E34s to tell you if thats an M Tech kit or not, but its definately different to my ACS kit

Sounds about right. though V8s are the same money these days. the wheels on that are hard to find those Haaman ones so if you like the wheels its probably worth jumping on.

I've read good things about the m30 engine. Hence my interest.

Anything I should look out for when viewing?

No experience with e34s

I've read good things about the m30 engine. Hence my interest.

Anything I should look out for when viewing?

No experience with e34s

only thing i can think of with these E34s, are that they do tend to jitter between 80-120km/h and is the front suspension that goes in them. when you have a look you will see how complicated it looks. see if the owner has any history of rebuilding it as it can get pricey pretty quick. tend to chew through front brakes too in my experience. have never HAD to do anything else to my E34s, ive had 4 of them now.

535's tend to do head gaskets at around these K's, so check coolant and oil, and be prepared to do one soon if it hasn't been done.

The 3 head gaskets(2 @ 300,000ish and 1 @ 500,000) ive done on E34 were coolant usage and over pressuring of the cooling system, never had coolant or oil mixing myself. Problem is most of the time you dont know the cars history so its a roll of the dice but it is easy to change.

Besides the hg and checking oil spray bar bolts are tight the M30 is solid as it gets.

yes the M30s blow headgaskets no matter how well you look after them.Its the diffferential movement between the alloy head and iron block.Mine did and i changed the coolant regularly and never overheated it

E34s 535 have a few well known issues .

90k shimmy = thrust arm bushings

weird tail light,fog light.number plate light issues= short in wiring on boot hinge OR electric headlight adjustment motors

thirsty

cant remeber any more.If you beleive evrey thing you read they are unreliable car but i had mine for many years over 100 000 ks and it let me down only once.

I would have a nice manual 535is again tomorrow

will be getting this car this morning!

Nice! It's a good looking machine... Not a fan of the wheels though but if you love 'em, keep 'em and if not that's an easy fix. Edited by jeffbebe

im thinking of putting them on my dads e39 maybe, and swap his ones onto this for the time being while i source some 17" basketweaves!

but i dont mind keeping it as is. wont be fussed about mags until i know the car is in good condition.

time to get an oil service done and check out the gaskets and other bits and pieces..