Sign in to follow this  
slasH

e38 brake pads recommendations / skimming

hey guys.. currently wanting to get my brakes skimmed (as i get the shakes when braking from high speeds etc) but was told new pads will be required.

my current pads are quite loud with the squeals etc as ive read here with many others lol..

just wanting some recommendations for e38 front brake pads, i have searched online but im unsure of what a good option/brand is..

after a low noise/ low dust (not very important, il clean often) / good stopping option if there is one

any recommendations please :D?

e38 728i 2000

Edited by slasH

shakes could also be the trust arm bushes , control arms etc

Very likely!

Our E39 used to have a slight shake braking from 80 down to 100. Rebuilt the front end, and no shake whatsoever now.

E38's and E39's eat suspension.

do you guys recommend the skimming option first or replacing the bushes and arms?

It's hard to say what it is, but if you have a bit over 100K on the clock, and the bushes etc haven't been done, it's probably due. Our car had 115K on when I did it all.

I guess in theory, if it's brakes, you should have the shimmy at all speeds when braking. If it's bushes etc, it tends to do it at certain speeds (at least on E39's, it's usually around that 80-100 bracket, under light to medium braking).

If you choose to do the brakes first, just be aware that it will make very little long term difference IF it is bushes.

As I say, I never touched the brakes, and our shimmy has gone 100%, and all the front suspension was original. I replaced the control arm bushes, thrust arm bushes, tie rods, shocks and top hats, sway bar links, and sway bar bushes.

E38's are renowned for shimmies from worn parts - they ride and handle so well that something has to wear with absorbing all those shocks and loads - it's all those parts above, and they need relatively regular replacement to be "right".

only in the high speeds 80+ i get the shakes, especially noticed when i drove to tauranga. odo is currently at 135km so im guessing its the bushes?

Thanks for advice il look into it further :)!

Ive fixed a lot of vibrations with a proper wheel balance and\or switching fronts wheels to rear

Ive fixed a lot of vibrations with a proper wheel balance and\or switching fronts wheels to rear

That may solve the issue if it was happening all the time. OP says it is when braking and having had a couple of E38's I would suggest it is the bushes. It is pretty easy to check them to so it would be the first thing I would be looking at

Edited by Juxu