Sign in to follow this  
RichardPercy

X5 2009 3.0d

Hi new to forum. I have a 2009 X5 and have had extreme front tyre wear on both wheels- outside edge noe almost bald. Tyre pressure checked monthly. And driven in urban conditions so not extreme. Is this normal?

Need to replace so any feedback on a good spot to go to in Auckland would be much appreciated.

Thanks- PAL

Welcome.

Check alignment first and any worn bushes in the suspension. if they checks out, could be just driving style.

For tyres, Firestone East Tamaki is a good place for me. Very friendly and knowledgable. Run flats are fairly limited in choices. Do phone ahead or drop by to make a booking and quotes. You could also try places that does Pirelli, Continental and Michelin

Hi new to forum. I have a 2009 X5 and have had extreme front tyre wear on both wheels- outside edge noe almost bald. Tyre pressure checked monthly. And driven in urban conditions so not extreme. Is this normal?

Need to replace so any feedback on a good spot to go to in Auckland would be much appreciated.

Thanks- PAL

bridgestone also do run flats..Urban work can be hard on edge tyre wear with sharp turns which tends to cant the whole wheel over exposing the edges to wear,add a bit of speed and the outside edge has to cope with that as well.A word of warning tho.In my experience run flats are more expensive than equivalent size non run flats

X5. Famous for tyre wear. Awsome trucks though.

The rears are usually the first to go with extreme inner edge wear.

The 4x E53's I've had never had issues with tyre wear. We probably need pictures of the E70!

Try the main BMW dealers for the tyres, especially if you are after the run-flats, Team McMillan or Jerry Clayton on the shore. Keep lots of tyres in the warehouse, especially odd-sizes and run flats.

X5 is a pretty good truck, and it can be driven quite hard, however as said above the tyres will get chewed up if you push it quite often. Camber wear on the inner edge of the rears is quite common too due to the suspension set up.

+1 for pics.

Whats extreme?? 10,000km is not an uncommon life span on modern high end tyres, maybe look at a different tyre.

What fitment are you running and how many sets have you gone through?

10,000 on an E70 is average. If pushed hard they won't get near that.

They have massive camber on the rear.

reading xoutpost forums and some aussie folks are running tyres up to 40-50k on xx psi

i'm still on my original set of tyres and just hit 35ks

will be ditching the RFL when replacements are required as i've got a spare in the trunk

Thanks - appreciate the feedback. Talked to hyper tyres and seems to be part issue with the camber set up on X5.

Replaced with new Pirells rung flat and had the front and back wheel alignment reset. They recommend getting it done ever six months and swapping wheels - as wel as running at higher air pressure 38 -so will see how theses go up.

Thanks

i've got the staggered fitment, so swapping them around is not an option. i think i run 39 PSI. What size did you get and what was the damage for Pirellis?

Isis - have also offset so different size tyres on front and back . the replacements for the front - Pirelli zero 220/40 /20 - installed and aligned all up $ 1750. hyper was suggesting rotating right and left tyres every six months or 10 km. Hopefuly theses will last a few more k.

Isis - have also offset so different size tyres on front and back . the replacements for the front - Pirelli zero 220/40 /20 - installed and aligned all up $ 1750. hyper was suggesting rotating right and left tyres every six months or 10 km. Hopefuly theses will last a few more k.

Can you get away with that if you have 315's on the back?