Sign in to follow this  
tangalife

E39 Stereo adapter and surround spacer/filler

Wondering where I could get my hands on a adapter plug for my stereo wires that currently plugs up to my current system? Also where I could find one of those 'fillers' that fills the gap of the standard stereo space for the smaller aftermarket head units (sorry I have no idea what both of these items are called but Im assuming you will know what im talking about).

I have the 4:3 monitor + tapedeck radio in a 540i.

Im probably going for just a standard head unit but is there any such aftermarket monitor/stereo/dvd combo that plugs up?

Dynavin and some other Chinese units are the only one that plug and play.

Heaps of threads on bimmerforums re these units.

For a single din aftermarket unit, look at edsauto.co.nz for wiring harnesses and fascia

Just curious why you want to replace the monitor with an aftermarket head unit?

cd player, aux, usb iphone/pod maybe?

Valid.

Although they can all be easily integrated. I would've thought keeping the monitor would be better and have the other things added on.

2c

Or rip the monitor out and fit a tablet into the frame.

the older non widescreen 4:3 ones arent big enought for a tablet, even a nexus7.. is it??

Curious to know why WOULDN'T I replace the unit I have? Essentially I want to add in a subwoofer and amp so I will need an aftermarket headunit - im not particulary looking for anything more than just a standard cd/aux player however with the room I have it might be nice to just put in a bigger unit with screen etc.

you can add a sub and amp to the factory setup .

just need a amp with speaker level input or speaker to line level adaptor

also ipod adaptors , cd players etc etc

or get one of the those dynavin setups , plug and play etc

you can add a sub and amp to the factory setup .

just need a amp with speaker level input or speaker to line level adaptor

also ipod adaptors , cd players etc etc

or get one of the those dynavin setups , plug and play etc

Dynavins are like $1350 by the looks, stuff that!

ah really, is there any instructions on how to wire amp to the factory set up?

Dynavins are like $1350 by the looks, stuff that!

ah really, is there any instructions on how to wire amp to the factory set up?

They're a bit cheaper to import direct from US, but yeah it's still a decent cost on a old car. For just an amp & sub, it's pretty easy to hook up to factory.

step by step guides with pics

E39 with DSP

E39 without DSP

Edited by rogan

I think Josh (hybrid) put in a Dynavin unit in his E39 - it looks absolutely mint! I couldn't afford it so picked up a rip off version from China. I've had it installed for the best part of a year now and it's been great. All up cost $500-600 from memory including shipping and is plug and play with non-DSP MID unit.

Looks like this (sorry about the shite phone pic):

Posted Image

Bluetooth works well and has iPod, aux, digital TV, DVD, VCD, USB and SD inputs. Also great factory look and feel. Might not be a Dynavin and functionality not quite as good (e.g. you can't use Playlists on iPod) but otherwise it's great and cost less than half the price of the Dynavin unti.

Got mine from eBay but I think there are other similar units on TM.

Edited by jeffbebe

thanks Rogan for those links.

jeffbebe, that's more like it, I could manage that price range. What are they called so I can search it?

How do I tell if I have Dsp or non dsp?

thanks Rogan for those links.

jeffbebe, that's more like it, I could manage that price range. What are they called so I can search it?

How do I tell if I have Dsp or non dsp?

From memory there's a button on the top right of your MID that says "AUDIO" if it's non-DSP or "AUDIO DSP" if it's with DSP.

I'll dig out a link to the place where I got mine - and any other better offers I find as I got mine a while ago!!

DSP's a bit of a pain in the ass if you're swapping units (straight plug and play for non-DSP) so fingers crossed you don't have it.

EDIT: This is the one I bought - http://www.a-sure.com.hk/products/car-dvd-...x5-e38-642.html - I think the price is in USD. If you add built in Digital TV antennae and reverse camera it'll be a bit more expensive. From memory shipping was under $100.

Here's one on their eBay store (bit safer buying that way I guess): eBay - Not sure why it's more expensive, maybe it includes TV antenna.

Edited by jeffbebe

Thanks for the links.

has anyone used the Eonon unit? Looks like a really nice unit and have been on one of the bimmer forums where Eonon were selling to members and they even uploaded test videos (extreme temperatures, water resistence) etc.

(product website) http://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&rct=j....42261806,d.dGY

(showcase video)

Can buy from their Australia website with NZ loaded maps for $555AUS + postage. Their official website lists them at $368 US + postage but are out of stock.

Sorry, not come across it. Personally, I'd miss the factory look that you got with the Dynavin (and the Dynavin knock-off that I got), this one looks very much 'aftermarket' so won't blend into the dash.

Is it possible to install a new amp and have that run possibly the front speakers + sub but leave factory amp (assuming I have one) running the rears and mid speakers?

Also, without really having a look I think I have non-dsp, as I have no equalizer options or DSP option in the menu which im told I should have

Dsp was an option so your car may not have it.

If your going to repower front or rear speakers then I recommend you replace them. The have power handling that has been matched to the factory amp so repowering is more than likely going to destroy them. The bmw system runs active on each speaker which means it has an amp for each speaker. I'd either just run a sub via taps into the front woofer outputs or gothe hole hog, with a 5 channel amp or a 4 channel plus sub amp and replace all the speakers.

The tuner which acts as a mixer also has balanced audio outputs. Best to get a amp that can take balanced preamp inputs. Otherwise you'll either need to get balanced to unbalanced converters or mod the tuner circuit board to add RCA outputs. Cabling wise it's easier to use the midbass wiring for replacement speakers as its not too bad for wiring gauge. Otherwise you'll also need to get heavier gauge cable through the door connectors which is possible but makes it harder to return the car to standard when you sell it.

Sounds complicated... I'd just get the Dynavin - or a knock off - that is straight plug and play. The sound quality of the existing system is excellent and unless you want the street to shake when you drive past, it's more than adequate in terms of volume. E39's are well sound-proofed too so the interior is pretty quiet - you don't have to drown out engine or tyre noise.

Much easier to on sell if it's factory (or OE -looking).

The bmw system runs active on each speaker which means it has an amp for each speaker.

Only with the DSP amp

With the normal HiFi amp it is a standard 4 channel amplifier: FL, FR, RL, RR.

Does anyone know where I can find a wiring harness for the 4:3 nav system, Its not the singluar 12pin plug, but two plugs in the back of the unit? Cant find one anywhere