Sign in to follow this  
tobytoblerone

Saddest looking Mercedes S-klasse

I like the wheels & color on this one, I think I know what my next car purchase will be!

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/...n-551393790.htm

Hopefully not this one - ex-Singapore on 200,000kms.. electrics will be shot! You'd know much more than me about these luxo-barges, but having been burnt on an ex-Singapore A6 before I'd stay well away...

I have a mate who had a NZ new 300TE, lovely car but crippling repair bills.

Every time he drove it something broke !!

And it was NZ New, one owner who always serviced at dealer etc.

Sold it for scrap in the end :(

And that is from the era when Mercs were supposed to be built well !!

Pull the running gear & scrap the body. Could make for an interesting donor for a project? Certainly cheap enough!

Hopefully not this one - ex-Singapore on 200,000kms.. electrics will be shot! You'd know much more than me about these luxo-barges, but having been burnt on an ex-Singapore A6 before I'd stay well away...

I've had two ex-singapore 7 series now (E65 & E38) & both of which never had problems with any electrics. That electrics thing is an absolute myth! And the 7 series is one of the most complicated vehicles out there.

Mercedes used in certain E and S classes of the '90s a wiring loom with biodegradable insulation. It is O.K provided the climate is dry, as it is sealed from any rain. But the constant high humidity in that area got at it anyway, causing gremlins in the loom.

Jaguar had something similar.

Mercedes used in certain E and S classes of the '90s a wiring loom with biodegradable insulation. It is O.K provided the climate is dry, as it is sealed from any rain. But the constant high humidity in that area got at it anyway, causing gremlins in the loom.

This is true, post facelift S Classes of that shape didn't have wiring harness issues. They just had issues with wiring in the mirrors.

I owned a pre F/L one for 5 years, ex-Singapore. It was an excellent car and I drove it to 250,000km's and it was still driving well when I traded it for my E39. I had no electrical issues as the wiring was replaced before I got it.

For that car you really want the S500 with the V8 if you're going to be doing lots of open road driving in it IMO.

For more info on them I'd head over to BenzWorld - it's a pretty good community by the time I left I'd racked up 7000 posts... :blink:

^^^ Yup, Have seen plenty of Benz's through work with severe wiring insulation degredation, not just models above & also well into the 2000's. This not just in engine bay but headlight/tail light wiring also. Some scary sights & potential cans of worms. Have seen one with engine wiring catch on fire - burning back into the vehicle writing it off.

The problem much worse on ex Singapore cars having been in the humid climate - even after only 5 yrs there.

Opel also have problems with wiring breakdown in the engine loom

I would never own an Asian imported Benz!

Have never seen the same issue with import BMW's, my understanding that because of Euro recycle requirements - Benz use recycled plastics in their wiring, BMW don't.

BMW however - probably in everything that breaks - cup holders, seat squab panels & probably all the plastic engine components that fail...

I've never seen the appeal of that Mercedes era, dull looking and undesriable in my mind.

I loved the W126 series, but the W140 was pretty woeful, of corse the poor quality issues that cropped up just worsen it further.

I can actually see why they end up ruined like this, they have depreciated to their lowest point and seem to miss being a proper enthusiast car, if someone wanted a big cruiser of the same era, there are plenty of other better choices, the E38 7er, Lexus LS400, or Audi S8 to name a few.