Sign in to follow this  
Ugan

E46 330i Coupe

Hey Guys\Gals

Has anyone run their 330i coupe on the track, looking into getting one and i know they not the fastest but its a compromise between commuting to work and 4 track days a year.

looking at getting a 2004 NZ new Msport coupe steptronic.

Also whats the diffrence between a Msport 330i and 330ci as far as i can see it looks like the kit and the Msport revs out 500rpm more.

Cheers

The Msport has the Msport suspension too.

If you plan to track it I'd get the Msport, the handling difference is night and day (at least in my 5 series)

I tested a few non-M 530s and they didn't feel anywhere near as tight as my M.

Hey Guys\Gals

Has anyone run their 330i coupe on the track, looking into getting one and i know they not the fastest but its a compromise between commuting to work and 4 track days a year.

looking at getting a 2004 NZ new Msport coupe steptronic.

Also whats the diffrence between a Msport 330i and 330ci as far as i can see it looks like the kit and the Msport revs out 500rpm more.

Cheers

For track work a manual would be much better and any BMW is better with a manual, would go as far as to say I would rather track a 320i Manual than a 330i Automatic :)

If you do go automatic and plan on tracking it maybe look at a transmission cooler and be ready to try and use the retarded gear leaver as much as possible to save the brakes from turning to cheese..

Thanks Guys

Will stick to msport.

My understanding is that the E46 coupe and the M/Sport 4 door use the same suspension - which is around 20mm lower than the non-M/Sport 4 door. There is no difference in the suspension, engine or transmission between the M/Sport & non-M/Sport coupes (it's only cosmetic differences between the two). Where did you see the 500 rpm difference? I guess it could be a 325 or 328 vs 330.

If I remember correctly Josh tracked his 330i 4 door with steptronic trans - he might have some comments about the auto on the track.

My understanding is that the E46 coupe and the M/Sport 4 door use the same suspension - which is around 20mm lower than the non-M/Sport 4 door. There is no difference in the suspension, engine or transmission between the M/Sport & non-M/Sport coupes (it's only cosmetic differences between the two). Where did you see the 500 rpm difference? I guess it could be a 325 or 328 vs 330.

If I remember correctly Josh tracked his 330i 4 door with steptronic trans - he might have some comments about the auto on the track.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/...n-556392870.htm this revs to 6500

There is a difference even between 330i's motorsport.

There is quite a few on trade me that vary.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/...n-556392870.htm this revs to 6500

There is a difference even between 330i's motorsport.

There is quite a few on trade me that vary.

Looks like the facelift tacho is slightly different to me that's all - that one in your link has white stripes between 6 & 6500, my 330 coupe has red stripes from 6 to 6500. They are all the same M54B30 engine...

Looks like a nice car.

Ran my 330i several times at track days with quite a bit of success. The only thing with auto is you can really engine brake and it chnages gear at silly times in the corners, basically your never in the idle gear.

It can be hard on the transmission so its not a thing you do all of the time. But it never did mine any harm at all.

You will have a lot of fun in an e46 at the track, theyre a very poised car. Even better with 235/265 rubber on it :)

Thanks for the advice guys. Thats clarifies alot up for me :)

If you setup an automatic nicely they can go well - yes manuals are great but they are more expensive as used parts and can be annoying if you also want to daily drive the car.

I've got a high pressure valve body in my 5 speed box along with a large trans cooler, it's run by a full custom computer to control the line pressure and shift points. I've also set it up so I can manually shift by using a retro fitted cruise control stick. I have engine brake available in 2nd through to 5th with the main shifter in drive, 1st can engine braked too but the main console shifter needs to be in a lower gear for mechanical reasons beyond the electronic control.

The lack of a clutch tends to annoy the manual gurus out there which is understandable, but I like the full throttle changes with quick responsive gear changes at the pull or push of a lever. Its great to have a full automatic mode available that remains civilised at low speed too.

On the plus side this cost 2k as opposed to 6k for a standard manual conversion.

Edited by Michael.

How often do you track it Michael?

Well, that will be the test wont it. I haven't with this current setup

I don't see how it will be too bad on the track, especially having full control of the changes rather than a stock auto. The quick changes encourage less internal slipping so in theory the clutch packs and brake bands should last longer too

I've only done this as an experiment and so far so good - but put it this way if I had the extra money it would have been manual!

The e46 EGS is unfortunately not as trick as your custom setup. However if you can get over the fact they change gear or more importantly dont change gear when you want it just requires more fancy brake work and car placement. Also be ready to catch any brake induced weight shifted oversteer moments. Its not all that scary, you just have to be mindful of it and youll be more than fine! :)

I left my in sport and didnt even both changing the gear in the end. Was just flooring it most of the time and letting the EGS sort it out. I gave up trying to tell it what to do and it ignoring me.

Cool the E46 steptronic is old now compared to modern units but i am no track hero so should suit me fine for now. I went out for the BMW advanced driving Level 1 which got me hooked and the DCT boxes are really cool.