Sign in to follow this  
sidewayswhat!

clutch slave problem

okay really annoyed now, I'm onto my 3rd slave for my clutch, I've just complete a manual conversion on my e30 320i, I brought a new slave about a year ago, and the seal broke, got another one and same thing happened, just bleed my 3rd slave and all good until now, I have just got back from my first drive and the seals seemed to have split again.

I had a nice pedal feel and then nothing, I'm using a stage 2 NZAD H/D clutch which I had the pressure plate balance with the flywheel.

Also I'm not using the normal clucth res, I taped into the brake res.

Why do I keep popping slaves??? help

There are two different release bearings. The carrier on one is 10mm longer than the other. You might be pushing the piston out of the cylinder.

There are two different release bearings. The carrier on one is 10mm longer than the other. You might be pushing the piston out of the cylinder.

Thanks Glenn, I'll check and make sure the piston isn't coming out, It didnt for the first two, I'm using a g240 box if that makes any differences

do you use a clutch stop (i.e a stop bolt behind the clutch pedal)?

When i got my clutch done, was advised to adjust the travel of the clutch, to limit how much the slave rod pushes

do you use a clutch stop (i.e a stop bolt behind the clutch pedal)?

When i got my clutch done, was advised to adjust the travel of the clutch, to limit how much the slave rod pushes

just looked and the standard one is there, problem is after I bleed my clutch I had the free play at the start then hard pedal, I'll make something up still and see if that will solve my problems also, Thanks

I'm using the release bearing that came with the clutch

okay so I just got my 3rd slave out and found my problem Posted Image

I have my new slave in but I don't have a rod for it now :(

how the hell did I manage to bend the rod???

where can I get another rod or what can I use???

I'm using the NZAD stage 2 H/D clutch kit including the provided release bearing, getrag 240 box, I just put in a clutch pedal stop which gives me about 3-5cm distance, is there anything else I can do? I dont want to pull the box off to change release bearing.

HELP this is really annoying me now and I want to drive my car

Hi You might want to check that your fork and especially the pivot are all okay becuase if they aren't the fork might move and then the slave will either need to push more (piston goes out the end of the bore= leaking) If it is moving around this could be one reason the pushrod the pushrod misaligned and bent.

That kit is for the 6 cylinder with a 260 box but as far as I'm aware you should be fine with a 240. If the bearing is too low then the slave may have to push alittle more but you would have issues straight away and most likely wouldn't be able to get it to disengage. Those pressure plates don't have an increase in pedal effort so it's not from a too heavy pressure plate. Feel free to call me if you have issues thanks Darren 0800-55-6923

sweet I'll check the fork tomorrow, might have come out of alignment when i was putting the box on.

next problem where can i get another push rod, for cheap or nothing

Ok need advice on this one

Posted Image

will that be okay for a push rod??? Its just a grinded down bolt I'm going to put some solid grease on the ends as well.

I'm still yet to check the fork, how will I know if it is out of place?

wanna drive my car soo much over driving my friends FWD trueno, silvertop

let me know if that horied pushrod will by algood to use

in theory it could work but the standard push rod has grooves im sure for the metal clamps that seal it up soo mmm quite a gamble where are you based i got an old clutch slave if you want it? got the push rod comes off a getrag 260

in theory it could work but the standard push rod has grooves im sure for the metal clamps that seal it up soo mmm quite a gamble where are you based i got an old clutch slave if you want it? got the push rod comes off a getrag 260

Based in Palmy North, I'll take a gamble with this one and hope it works lol really need my car going

Based in Palmy North, I'll take a gamble with this one and hope it works lol really need my car going

thing is you could get it going but may be temporary-which will mean you be back in the levin in no time haha fix it with the right part the first time around else it could fail on you on a roady-no one wants that

thing is you could get it going but may be temporary-which will mean you be back in the levin in no time haha fix it with the right part the first time around else it could fail on you on a roady-no one wants that

haha yeah fair point,

haha yeah fair point,

I was in the same position with a torn slave boot leaking fluid.

I was desperate to get the car going, and very nearly just replaced the slave without identifying the cause of the problem.

Experienced advice from Glenn stopped my eagerness.

I found the piston rod was being pushed across to the left by a fork that had become detached at the pivot. If I had gone ahead, it would have just recurred and I'd be back to square one.

Good advice.. do it once, do it right.

I was in the same position with a torn slave boot leaking fluid.

I was desperate to get the car going, and very nearly just replaced the slave without identifying the cause of the problem.

Experienced advice from Glenn stopped my eagerness.

I found the piston rod was being pushed across to the left by a fork that had become detached at the pivot. If I had gone ahead, it would have just recurred and I'd be back to square one.

Good advice.. do it once, do it right.

wheres the like button??hahahah do it once do it right unless you like laying on your back getting sh*t in your eyes haha that sound bad but you get the point

wheres the like button??hahahah do it once do it right unless you like laying on your back getting sh*t in your eyes haha that sound bad but you get the point

There are a few people on this forum and many who have left that can actually give the right advice with the knowledge gained over many years and try to help. It's your choice as to if you want to listen or not. Many don't listen and have regrets with the situations they get themselves into.

I agree with the do it once do it right, haha in a desperate state atm tho :/ I checked the pivot point on the fork and was in the center where I'm guessing it should be, all my slaves popped the piston out, I had about 10mm of free play before the release bearing hits the pressure plate. I have put the made push-rod in the slave and it didn't come out easily and when I depressed the clutch it felt ok without bleeding it yet.

I agree with the do it once do it right, haha in a desperate state atm tho :/ I checked the pivot point on the fork and was in the center where I'm guessing it should be, all my slaves popped the piston out, I had about 10mm of free play before the release bearing hits the pressure plate. I have put the made push-rod in the slave and it didn't come out easily and when I depressed the clutch it felt ok without bleeding it yet.

The fork pivots on the driver's side of the gearbox. That is where my fork had disconnected from the pivot.

Whilst at rest the left end of the fork looked central aligned with the slave rod, you might find the whole fork slides across to the left and bends another slave rod.

Without an inspection panel, the only way to check and correct the fork pivot mount is to remove the gearbox, drive shaft ...

Good luck, and let us know how you get on ..

The fork pivots on the driver's side of the gearbox. That is where my fork had disconnected from the pivot.

Whilst at rest the left end of the fork looked central aligned with the slave rod, you might find the whole fork slides across to the left and bends another slave rod.

Without an inspection panel, the only way to check and correct the fork pivot mount is to remove the gearbox, drive shaft ...

Good luck, and let us know how you get on ..

yes have seen a few pivot pioints worn down , which then makes the clutch fork push on funny angles ,

and damage the fingers on the pressure plate and allow the slave cylinder rod fall out etc

I did check the side to side and had very little so guessed it was still on the pivot point, have bleed the clutch and I have firm pedal feels awesome atm, will be doing a bit more driving this coming week as I have no gas and money for gas atm haha.

I have to address my next problem which is my brakes, I took my HUGE bmw booster out swapped it for a vw one and didn't know I had to extend the rod, so will be doing that tomorrow, Its really scary driving with almost no brakes haha.

Also bleed the whole brake system with new stuff and WOW was the old stuff dirty and brown.

Will post later on how my homemade rod holds up after more driving

Just reporting my I haven't poped another slave after fitting a clutch stop, I'm also using my home made push rod and seems to be mint as I made it a bit longer maybe 3mm.

Thanks everyone for their help etc always good to get the extra knowledge, and I can drive my e30 again which is awesome :)

My schnizzles been running a home made bolt rod like yours for 3 years...no probs at all

My schnizzles been running a home made bolt rod like yours for 3 years...no probs at all

That puts me at eas so much more haha thanks dude, good to know the DIY stuff does work mint