Sign in to follow this  
Jazzbass

The V8 sound

In general, I absolutely loathe the sound of American V8 engines. But BMW V8s do not sound like that.

Why is it that BMW manage to make a V8 which sounds so much sweeter than Ford or Chevvy etc?

Is it because a BMW V8 is a refined engine, compared to an American engine, where there is less refinement required - eg: if you want more power, make it bigger etc?

I'm sure some of you V8 owners would be able to help me here??

I know that there was a problem with the NZ V8 Tourings a couple of seasons back where one car in particular was a lot faster than the rest and sounded much different to the rest of the same make. This was because the team had found (by accident on the dyno) that by swapping the order of the plug leads it made more power. This also turned it into sounding like a constipated frog at full song, but hey the result was there. BMW may have a different firing order that the rest of the V8's out there. This will change the sound and performance so it is a win win situation. Also bore and stroke and max revs will all add to the sound. F1 cars are small capacity V10's pulling upto 20,000rpm. The revs make them shrek and the small capacity makes it possable for them to rev so hi.

If you listen to a Ford staight 6 and a Holden(Nissan) straight 6 they sound different, then throw in a BMW 6 and it is different again. There are so many reasons as to why they are different. At the end of the day you are correct, American V8's are unrefinded boat anchors, single cam pushrod motors.

Go drive an LS1 Holden before saying it's unrefined.

What cars are you basing your opinions off?

The BMW V8s sound awesome, but imo the Ford V8s sound the best, go in an old Mustang or Falcon and find out.

But it all depends on the exhaust, the Commodores sound like a V6 from the factory at anything below 3000, a lot of people go aftermarket. Same story with my Merc, has go a 3' exhaust from the headers, and sounds just as good as an 'unrefined' US V8. I couldn't give a f**k, it sounds better and goes harder.

How can you not like the sound of an American V8? They sound sweet.

I love the big lazy loping V8, that suddenly somes to life when the boot is buried.

Cheers

Grant

At the end of the day you are correct, American V8's are unrefinded boat anchors, single cam pushrod motors.

What a load of sh*t. Look at all the 'great' dohc engines the HSV LS2 out performs. Ohh, that includes the heavier, physically bigger Ford 4.6 dohc and Cadillac dohc made in the US :gay:

your a pussy, and your mums a man if you dont like the sound of V8's (any)

Man people take it so personally. And some even live their entire life based around the fact that they prefer/worship a piece of metal that has 2/4 extra holes in it than other pieces of metal.

Thanks for that *sic.

I don't know if I'm a pussy, but my Mum's dead, so isn't a man.

Not only do I loathe the sound of American V8s, I also loathe the sound of Harleys, two strokes, blow-off valves, hot fours and rap/hiphop .... :-)

FWIW, I've owned a Camaro, Mustang and Impala, so I do have some experience of US V8s (aka boat anchors). Ownership of them does not imply I have to like their sound.

As far as performance, my 13A RX3(aka sewing machine) used to eat my Mach 1 although I wasn't that keen on the Wankel sound either...

Edited by Jazzbass

Thanks for that *sic.

I don't know if I'm a pussy, but my Mum's dead, so isn't a man.

Not only do I loathe the sound of American V8s, I also loathe the sound of Harleys, two strokes, blow-off valves, hot fours and rap/hiphop .... :-)

FWIW, I've owned a Camaro, Mustang and Impala, so I do have some experience of US V8s (aka boat anchors). Ownership of them does not imply I have to like their sound. My 13A RX3 used to eat my Mach 1 although I wasn't that keen on the Wankel sound either...

Obviously not a true vehicle/engine/machine enthusiast.

I feel sorry for not being able to enjoy the wide plethora of mechanical symphonies.

LOL - I've had 49 cars and 5 motorbikes - not everyone thinks the same about things... we have to allow for individual tastes! :-)

LOL - I've had 49 cars and 5 motorbikes - not everyone thinks the same about things... we have to allow for individual tastes! :-)

i have had 50 cars and 6 bikes Edited by m325i

The difference in sound must surely come from the differnces in displacement. Hell some of the Holdens and Fords are nearly 6.0 where as the Audis and BMWs are closer to 4.0.

You can't beat the sound of the last M5 V8 or the latest Audi S4's. They're beautiful. :wub:

Guest Andrew

I agree with the M5 - very nice indeed - haven't listened to the Audi.

the new M5 sounds pretty terrible unless at WOT.

I think the newBMW V8s sound great - they got it a bit wrong in cains car. I'm not sure if that is just exhaust or what.

Sweetest sounding BMW V8s are

645 (in fact anything with that motor in it.. the 4.8 X5 is badass also)

Range Rover (MY03 - 04)

M5

540 etc etc

American V8s sound totally badass as well - just not as crisp as BMW ones.

One thing the US V8s excel at is making an old XJ6 Jag into the car it should have been.

The first time I saw that was in 1979 - I couldn't believe anyone would do that to a Jag - then I drove it....

645 (in fact anything with that motor in it.. the 4.8 X5 is badass also)

540 etc etc

Thats the same engine as the 745 right ?

Dads got the 745 and i do like the engine noise, especially at the instant when starting the engine ... and also love the sound when racing it up hills ...

The 540 sounds good as well, we used to have one of them ...

The older shape 750iL sounded real good with the changed exhaust, that was mint i loved it ! But that was a V12

When I was at Cookies a few weeks ago, one of the guys went to drive the 645 outside. He started it up, and drove really slowly out, so the revs were under about 2k, best sound in the world.

You can't beat the sound of a BMW 6 or 8.

And Ali, your Dads bloody lucky - he gets to race up that huge Mosgiel hill. I'd love to hear it when hes in a rush for a meeting or something :wub:

Edited by BMW POWER

they got it a bit wrong in cains car.

I'm working on it. :finger:

The new 645 sounds great. They got that right. Maybe I should have a peek under one of those to get a similar sound.

Flat plain crank anybody??

Alluminium blocks??

Higher comp??(in years gone by)

All engines sound badassness with the right work(even a scrotery :lol: )

> All engines sound badassness with the right work(even a scrotery)

I agree, you are quite right - I've heard otherwise identical cars, one of which sounded miles better than t'other. The setup and tuning can make a huge difference.

I've even loved the sound of one of my friend's Stingray - whilst hating the sound on another's similar 'vette.