Sign in to follow this  
Tristan

Tyre issues

Hi everyone

I took the wheel off my car to give it a good clean and when I put this one back on (Bridgestone 050 run flat) I could hear air escaping when about 70% of the car's weight on it.

I took the wheel and tyre to beaurepaires quay st. and their new guy found a tiny leak from the bead. One small bubble every 60 or so seconds.

The young (apparently new) guy didn't understand what I meant when 70% of the cars weight made the air leak so I went home (5 mins away) to get my car so I could replicate the problem for him.

When I came back there was a large (1 sq. inch) piece out of my bead that he said the last tyre shop must have done.

I assumed that this was Beaurepaires Newmarket who fixed a puncture 2 weeks ago.

I went to BR Newmarket to sort this, manager said that they didn't work on that tyre (saw the work log to prove it) and then he said the damage could have happened with someone not knowing what they were doing (new guy) trying to take the run flat off the wheel.

The tyre in question has not been touched since its install by Firestone 6 months ago and had no issues up till yesterday.

After I had a good think about it yesterday afternoon/this morning I've come to the conclusion that:

A) I would have noticed the damage when I was scrutinising every millimetre of the tyre and wheel yesterday afternoon cleaning

B) There would be substantial wheel damage to bugger the bead How it is (there is none)

C) Before new guy touched it he said it would take at least a day to leak dry the way it was damaged, when I got back he said that it wouldn't hold air at all and blamed the last people to work on the tyre.

Apparently if someone hadn't removed the tyre properly they could've taken the chunk out of the bead, and BR Newmarket said run flats are a bitch to get off.

Anyone got any opinions on what I should do?

Could I have been driving on that (totally f***ed) bead for xx amount of time without issue?

I know it seems very much "he said, they said" but I don't like being given the run around and forking out more $$ on a car that is likely going tomorrow or Friday!!

Thanks in advance

Posted Image

Edited by Tristan

What's the stuff all over the side? That tyre looks pretty munted to me. I'd be telling them to fix it - nobody else has removed it from the rim from your explanation.

Beaurepaires left the wheel bolts finger tight on both LHS wheels on my wifes car 2 years back - we only realised after a week of motorway commuting. I won't be going back to them for anything - they could have killed someone.

What's the stuff all over the side? That tyre looks pretty munted to me. I'd be telling them to fix it - nobody else has removed it from the rim from your explanation.

Beaurepaires left the wheel bolts finger tight on both LHS wheels on my wifes car 2 years back - we only realised after a week of motorway commuting. I won't be going back to them for anything - they could have killed someone.

It's bead sealer. Provided he did damage the wheel, I'm assuming he panicked and lathered on a heap of it to try and repair. Have found a tyre and bought it. Will be chasing them for reimbursement...

sorry to hear whats happened.. but whats done is done and luckily there was no accident.. its good of you to find a new tyre to replace it before selling the car! i personally wouldnt bother about $200 or whatever when im selling a car for 10k or whatever, but i guess there is no harm in harassing them a little bit about the safety of the tyre and or their services of taking off/putting on a tyre.. obviously when you buy a set of tyres you dont expect to fork out money for damage when mounting a tyre, nor do you expect it to happen when you take it to a place for wheel balancing, puncture repair or whatever. they should guarantee their work, not be playing the blame game.

Write to them to try and resolve. Keep it civil and to the point. Don't assign blame. Next thing after that is fair go.

My friends were on last night after being jipped by Allely House for their wedding after they tried to hike the fees moments before the day.

I wouldn't be bothered going to Fair Go over $150. It's more annoying than anything else. I'll give them a ring and see what they say. Like Hybrid says, no blame game.

Email the manager or headoffice if you can, that way there isn't an issue of them taking back what they said. list out the facts and issue, then ask them for their comment and solution (poke holes in what they say). Be polite and logical, like hybrid said, don't blame a party

Good luck and use words like "negligence" and "matter of saftey/harm"

Edited by dubman

When was the bead sealer put on?

It actually looks it could have happened when initially fitted. If you look at the picture you provided you can see it has torn on the very left and it looks like it has started under the bead. This tearing is generally caused when fitting. Most tyre machines fit in a clockwise direction so you cansee how the tear starts and then gets worse as it moves to the right. The bead sealer could have been put on when the tyres were fitted.

When the guy took it off it would have caused the tearing to become more pronounced and could have torn the whole chunk off. From my years of fitting experience it is pretty hard to tear a bead when taking a tyre off, even a run flat tyre which is pretty hard to remove. Generally they only tear coming off when there is already a split or tear in the bead caused by fitting.

The young guy at BROrepaires could be telling the truth.

Edited by Juxu

Which young guy at BR?

What you've said makes sense. Thanks for that.

Which young guy at BR?

What you've said makes sense. Thanks for that.

Hi everyone

...... and their new guy found a tiny leak from the bead. One small bubble every 60 or so seconds.

The young (apparently new) guy didn't understand..............

thats the youg guy

Edited by kiwi535