Sign in to follow this  
Jazzbass

Tiptronic

Apologies if this is old ground - I did a search and couldn't find anything on this.

My current car is my first with steptronic.

A friend has just bought a Mazda 6 and his version of steptronic is the opposite way to mine.

Mine has upshift = tilt forward and downshift = tilt back. His is the other way round, which I find counter-intuitive.

For me, pulling the lever back is like shifting from 3rd to 2nd in a normal gate and pushing forward is like shifting from 2nd to 3rd or 4th to 5th.

Which way works best for you?

Edited by Jazzbass

If you look at most race car 6spd sequential gearboxes they are forward downshift, backward upshifts. Not actually driven one but due to my racing experience it would make more sence to push forward to downshift as it would feel awkward pulling back while under heavy braking. WRC cars tend to have their paddle shift set so you pull towards the wheel to upshift and push it away from the wheel to downshift. If you take note of the gear lever (on the trans tunnel) it moves back and forward in the opporsite direction as the paddles.

I have driven most of the Honda tiptronic's and they are set to forward - upshift, backwards - downshift.

I would prefer forward- down, backward - up.

I can work both. Your one harkens to a traditional Auto with down shift being a click rearward, and this is often the way the old daytona racing games were too if I recall those dim dark days.

However I have driven a falcon? I think it was the falcon (if not then some other large sedan like a diamante or something) with the lever opposite and was up with the play in no time flat as it was just foot to the floor and flick down to change up -changing down was then a short series of up-flicks - easy.

So long story short - no preference really.

I agree with Kaelib, it would seem weird that while braking you would have to pull the lever back to change down a gear, i'd prefer to push it foward since your body is being pushed forward as you decelerate hence giving you more of an arms reach.

It seems many agree with you - here's a procedure to swap the sequence round so that + is toward the back of the car.

Steptronic pattern shift procedure

I guess I must be wired differently - although maybe, since BMW bring them out 'my way' I'm just wired into the BMW way???

It is interesting how we (people) think differently about things... I can see your point of view and how it would work. I guess if mine was round that way I'd get used to it.

Guest Andrew

I'd rather pull back for upshift -

yep was about to say its really easy to change

OK, I'm going to be anal for a start. Tiptronic is a trade mark that relates to VW group cars, i.e Porsche, Audi etc.

Automatics are automatics and manuals are manuals.

If you are talking about BMW's first generation of a Sequential Gearbox, it was pulled toward you to change down and away from you to change up. This is counter intuitive and they have since corrected it.

Our race cars have sequential boxes. Think about it. When you are decelerating which way are the G forces on your body? Toward the front of the car. So, if you and your body are being thrust forward whilst braking, you should be changing down gears in the same direction. The opposite goes for acceleration.

Automatics are shithouse whichever way you look at them.

> Automatics are shithouse whichever way you look at them.

That's an opinion I don't share.

Ever since I stuffed my left ankle, autos are all that's allowed me to drive, as I don't have any power to depress a clutch. Therefore I love automatics.

As for the name - sorry to offend you :-)

UR correct - BMW call them Steptronic.

> This is counter intuitive and they have since corrected it.

Obviously it is to many people, but not to me...

Its all personal opinions....

Edited by Jazzbass

jacque villeneuve changes gears on one paddle whereas most the other F1 drivers use two paddles..

jacque villeneuve changes gears on one paddle whereas most the other F1 drivers use two paddles..

I suppose that does leave his other hand to play with himself or wave to people

OK, I'm going to be anal for a start. Tiptronic is a trade mark that relates to VW group cars, i.e Porsche, Audi etc

When did Porsche become part of the VW group? ;)

Porsche introduced the 'Tiptronic' thing with the 964 series 911s in, i think, 1989? Cleaver marketing way of making soft cocks feel like they own a real sports car.

Actually I do like autos though, they have their place.

A Porsche is a VW in wolf's clothing. Designed by the same Austrian.

No need to drive an auto (although you have a good excuse until now) get a DSG and you have 2 pedals and a proper manual gearbox. I seriously recommend you drive one. Awesome.

Actually I do like autos though, they have their place.

DSG. And then where do auto's have their place?

JV has also not won a race in a decade nearly! Not really helping your cause (whatever it was :D ).

Automatics are shithouse whichever way you look at them.

Not necesarally Cain, they are good for people who can't be bothered changing gears all the time (think the Auckland stop and start traffic jams, or like Rog said, he has an injury)

Autos do have their place, but Manuals are way cooler to drive. Yes I have driven a manual.

Tiptronic, I'd rather have flick up for upshift down for downshift.

It is logical as up to go up a gear and down to go down a gear.

H patterns rule :P

Now,where did my manual gbox get to???

they are good for people who can't be bothered changing gears all the time

Exactly my point Emma. The DSG gearbox is a manual that you don't have to use a clutch for. Why would you want a transmission that has more power loss and shifting ability is glacial?

Nothing wrong with Auckland's traffic. Don't start that argument. Try driving around London, or park in Rome if you'd like to horrid conditions.

The manual/automatic box is a very old argument and once upon a time I was firmly in the manual-only camp saying "you'll never see me in an auto - ever" - how naiive I was.....

Personal circumstances can change perpectives.

I also used to say I'd never (btw - I've learned not to use never - LOL) be seen dead in a Honda again. I've been seen driving one for the past week on work business. Nowhere to hide in Palmy.. B) Good job my daughter didn't see me (she lives in Auckland) - she's threatened to disown me if she sees me in a Honda.. :lol:

horses for courses....

Manual my preference of course and I'm looking at the conversion option, but nothing like the auto changing it's mind mid-corner in the wet for you to get the tail out.

Also - E30stz taught me a trick with the 320 auto the other day - move off to about 40km, relaese gas momentarily to allow slight engine braking and then floor it - damn thing takes off like a scalded cat - wheelspin definately possible in wet! tried it in a 325 auto with sport selected = wheelspin in the dry.

Otherwise manual all the way - although I would like to get my hands on a true DSG to have a play.

Mitsubishi also brand-name their sequential auto's tiptronic I believe.

Edited by bravomikewhiskey

Never owned one. Doubt I ever will. Drive one nearly every day.

My point is, why do you want an Auto?

1. Don't want to change gears?

2. Unable to work 3 pedals?

3. Heavy traffic driving, so continuous clutch usage is strenuous.

All used to be valid points. Now with DSG, SMG and whomever elses actuated MANUAL gearboxes you might like to use.

Auto, why?

pull back to up shift > pushing forward.

Auto, why?

I've got a Land Cruiser which is auto, I wouldn't want it to be a manual, the auto is better to tow with, is surprisingly good off road and suits the character of the vehicle way more than a manual would.

For drivers cars autos should be illegal (for example, it should be illegal for Porsche to make an auto 911 Turbo) But for cars that are supposed to be relaxing, comfy, cruising vehicles autos are perfectly acceptable, so long as they have lots of power and the auto is a good auto not a unintelligent powerglide.

Do the DSG 'boxes run in auto mode?? whats the shift quality like with them?? I know the SMG is pretty harsh in auto mode.

Yes, the DSG runs like an Auto normally.

You can slip it through the gate and shift manually. It was very smooth and the changes were fast and positive at the same time.

The main advantange is that it has 2 clutches, so the next gear (up or down) is engaged as the gear is selected. i.e. Clutch for 1, 3 & 5, another for 2, 4, & 6.

The SMG is a normal manual gearbox with a single clutch, so there is a loss of drive whilst the clutch and box grab the next gear, so you can get jerky changes without practice.

Towing, well the 540 does a pretty good job of that. Doesn't notice much attached to it. And you can use 6th gear.

Off road, well, it's a BMW, and doesn't really like paddocks.

Seriously, go and drive a VW 2.0 TDi DSG and tell me it's not great.

Traded my manual E34 535i in for a Steptronic E39 528i last week. I was abit concerned about.

1 The power of the 528i.

2 Not being a manual.

I need not have worried. The car feels every bit as responsive as the old 535i and handles like a dream. I can drive it in auto in traffic, flick across for sports mode if I feel like some fun, or use the steptronic if I'm having fun on the hills.

I do agree with Cain that Manuals are the best, but as I'm sure your all aware the ratios of BMW auto's to manuals is not great.

Its the only steptronic box I've driven and once you get the hang of it its not bad.