Sign in to follow this  
Ace Of Spades

e30 broked Help?

Update... gearbox is all swapped over but now the drive shaft doesn't fit!

It's 22mm to long with the gilbo on and the bolt holes for the out put shaft are 16ish mm off the old gilbo bolt holes.

Help/Ideas?? start back at work next week!

Heres what i know,

The Car can start with clutch in,

Can't select any gears,

Wont go forward or backwards.

When i let the clutch out it stalls and even if i rev it and let it out slowly is just burns the clutch.

Cant push the car downhill, even when the clutch is in

Went it was pulled down the hill (only 5meters to get it on to the curb) it made a really loud clicking/crunching noise while moving down very slowly.

Clutch still had plenty of meat left.

Help? Ideas?

Cheers

Edit...

So had the car up in the air 2day..(mate wouldn't give me back my stands ) and had a look at all the shifter setup / gear linkages and it looked like it was working fine (no clips loose). No bumps or funny noises with the shifter and it moved and selected gears fine.

I can move the shifter through 1,3,5 and reverse gear but it wont go into 2nd or 4th??

So i'm pretty sure it's the gearbox as the clutch fluid is fine and everything else seams to work.

Anyway of definitely knowing its the gearbox??

Edited by Sam_e30

Sounds like the gearbox has selected two gears at once. Does the gearstick move freely even though you cant get any gears, or is it stuck in one position?

Check the shifter linkages are all still attached correctly.

Can move the gear stick through the set but wont select gears.

Ok thanks, how do i fix it? or do i need to take it in?

As oli said, check the gear linkages

Posted Image

All that is between the gear stick and the transmission (look under the car)

Edited by _Matt_

As oli said, check the gear linkages

Posted Image

All that is between the gear stick and the transmission (look under the car)

if you need a better view place a jack under gearbox loosen cross member on gear box easy az two 13mm nuts each side and lower it slowly on the jack

add a mirror and torch for extra viewing pleasure haha hope it works out sweet probably a circlip bent and let one of the rods out of its hold

Cheer's guys for the tips, had a quick look 2day (cars not at my house...it's on the side of the road) an it looks like it maybe the shifter mechanism but i had work early so haven't had the time yet to have a propper look.....

On a sad note some F***ing Wanker has stolen my Fl front lip :(

So had the car up in the air 2day..(mate wouldn't give me back my stands <_< ) and had a look at all the shifter setup / gear linkages and it looked like it was working fine (no clips loose). No bumps or funny noises with the shifter and it moved and selected gears fine.

I can move the shifter through 1,3,5 and reverse gear but it wont go into 2nd or 4th??

So i'm pretty sure it's the gearbox as the clutch fluid is fine and everything else seams to work.

Anyway of definitely knowing its the gearbox??

Edited by Sam_e30

What happens if you move into first, start the car and try move forward?

Does it drive in neutral ??... sounds like its locked up in 2 gears

Since you say you can't even move the car have you tried jacking the rear and checking your diff isn't seized or something?

Other than that it probably is your gearbox screwed / stuck.. Crunching is never good.

Will not drive under its own power, was pulled onto the tow truck and could here clicking/crunching..

Well ive got the gearbox now but now for the real noob question.... How do i get it out easily?

Eg. undone all the shaft bolts and most of the bell housing bolts but I can't get at 1 starter-motor and the top bolts.

Do i need to take the intake manifold off? or could i just lower the engine and gearbox 2geather and get to them that way??

Its been a year or 2 since i last did this.... and have kinda forgotten how i did it last time.

You can get the starter motor off pretty much a pain in the rear but get yourself a ring spanner on one end you can slide it right against the firewall to get the bolt behind the bellhousing, then some extensions and maybe a ujoint on the engine side one under the intake manifold and you can get it out eventually.

If you have the driveshaft off and exhaust (which you probably should have already) lift the gearbox abit at the back to tilt the engine and gives abit more room.. But not so much you will bend up all the radiator hoses and all that.

What gearbox do you have in there now?

You can loosen and maybe slightly shorten the driveshaft on the center spline if you loosen the retainer where the CSB is, But depends how much free space you have to slide the front have back abit.

Are you saying the 16mm for the guibo is diameter wise the holes off by 16mm?

The bolt holes are off buy 16-20 mm eg. the out put flange on the new gearbox is bigger than the old one.

you've prob got a different gearbox, 260 vs a 240 or some thing.