Sign in to follow this  
E30nut

E30 Engine ticking

Ive got an 318i E30 with a M40B18 motor and it makes a horrible ticking sound every now and then and its annoying and sounds terrible. I've been told that it can be dirty lifters or the engine needs to run thicker oil, or a clean. Anyone got any suggestion as to what could be wrong ?? and how i could get it to stop ?

Cheers

Jordache Dias

Probably as you have been told - Lifters

Could try an engine flush, replace oil (correct oil, not thicker) If no fix then - lifter replacement

Probably as you have been told - Lifters

Could try an engine flush, replace oil (correct oil, not thicker) If no fix then - lifter replacement

ok will try an engine flush at next service, when you mean correct oil you mean 15w-40 ?

Don't forget too its a 23 year old engine too - it's going to reflect that ^_^

Play around with some different grades of oil, see if that helps.

Otherwise try rebuild the cylinder head, measure all components to factory spec and replace those not with in the correct tolerance.

Don't forget too its a 23 year old engine too - it's going to reflect that ^_^

Play around with some different grades of oil, see if that helps.

Otherwise try rebuild the cylinder head, measure all components to factory spec and replace those not with in the correct tolerance.

True that, now when you mean different grades of oil what are the types that i can go for ??

Yeah if running different oil doesn't work then i might just have to give that a go.

Cheers :)

Just get your valves adjusted. 90% of the time thats what it is. Pretty much every e30 will do it. You're meant to get them done every 50,000km I think

Just get your valves adjusted. 90% of the time thats what it is. Pretty much every e30 will do it. You're meant to get them done every 50,000km I think

The M40 has hydraulic lifters, there is no adjustment

Edited by JKSE

if its tapping off and on, try MBL8, its not cheap but its birlliant. Very common in Mitsubishi circles. have used it on an M43 several months ago and two days ago on my M70. silky smooth now. but if its tapping all the time then one or more of the lifters are dead, and not reversible.

Bit of a thread dig, but cleaned my oil spray bar yesterday, and it made a BIG difference. It wasnt overly dirty or clogged, but it now no longer makes a massive "TICK TICK TICK TACKTACK TACK TICK" when cold or returning to idle/low revs.

Took 30 mins, and wasn't a big task.

also pays to check "T" junction/ joiner for leaks in the centre of the oiler bar, they can leak and cause starvation to either end of the camshaft and cause premature wear

seen new cams destroyed from this being overlooked

Edited by JKSE

Another little update, thanks for the tip Andy, ProMa MBL8 worked really well. Added recommended amount into oil and mixed before re-fill. Now engine hums along nicely without "TICK TACK" at all. Cleaning the oil bar only worked for a week or so, and soon the ticking came back.

John, is there anymore technical ways to check the "T" junction? I just used air intake cleaner with the straw tip, and sprayed into it to check for leaks and spray pressure.

^ could you give some more info about MBL8 etc

I replaced the oiler bar and T piece in my M40B16 in one of my E30s, didnt make that much of a difference in my particular case. thats when i tried the MBL8 stuff. Yes it is pricey, but trust me on this, its worth it. But as jon said, check that oiler bar first, thats a free fix by cleaning it out. I used petrol to clean it, just make sure its nice and dry before putting it back in the engine.

not really sure how it works to be honest.

But will work on any car with hydraulic lifters. If the car is a bit ticky, reletively quiet but still annoying and/or ticking comes and goes, get this in there and it sorts it all out and stops it. not sure if its a cleaning product or what the story with it is. But swear by it now.

obviously wont work on M20 etc engines, as they dont have hydraulic lifters, mechanical adjustment is required.

hope this helps.

Think it was Michael (antil33t) that put me onto this stuff from memory

don't know too much, but it aids lubrication, heat conduction. and it's a micro-filler that repairs some of the wear/tear if not too FUBAR'd

If cleaning oil spray bar and increased revs reduces/eliminates the sound, i guess its to do with amount of oil getting to the lifters and oil pressure. Cleaning the oil spray bar is a good exercise, as it reduces cam wear.

/dunno

Edited by dubman