Sign in to follow this  
antil33t

E30 M5x OBDI Conversion parts.

Need all the electrics, ecu, loom ect to put an M52 Into an E30.

Engine is from an E39 528i so ugh the loom is basically useless.

Also require engine arms (E36??? M52B28?)

Mounts I'll buy brand new, uhm... what else?

I might need an M50B25 fuel rail, but I'll see what the one I'm getting has first.

I have 8 months to finish this car, and drive it to Auckland...

Edited by antil33t

Have you decided if you're going odb1 or odb2?

Once you have all the parts, it's an easy conversion. What are you doing for brake booster?

Can't be f**ked going OBD2... will be going OBDI.

Probably going to move it? all the other options look painful to get.

Well I've got a ODB1 405 ECU and air flow meter here I'm never gonna use, but that wont run your vanos.

Moving it sounds like a bit of work, be interesting to see what you come up with. I've used E32 / E34 vacuum boosters on every setup I've done, but they are becoming a bit hard to find now. The brakes are much better than standard with the larger master cylinder and it pretty much bolts right in, just need to make some new brake lines and I like to run it through a proportioning valve as it can brake a bit hard in the rear at times.

Theres a 94 520i at mangere pick a part, could be a good donor for ODB1 parts (loom, ecu etc), just reflash the ECU to 325 eeprom.

Can't be f**ked going OBD2... will be going OBDI.

Probably going to move it? all the other options look painful to get.

is a porsche wrecker up the line from me, was quite competitive. i used a Porsche 944 Booster. but if i did it again i would import an E30 iX one i think or see if the factory E34 V8 one would work. would be easier than slotting the firewall and moving the E30 one across

edit: troy bet me to it

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

Yup, E34 V8 one mounted to firewall is what I use. If you use it, you need to get the mounting bracket that goes with it.

I lightly slot the holes in the bracket so it moves the booster down and across, then do the same to the firewall. My booster sits pretty much right against the strut tower and about 1 inch clearance between booster and manifold.

Slotting it isnt a big deal, only takes 10mins.

Pity I'm nowhere near mangere.. lol

my dad is good with metal (coachbuilder) and I was going to see what he reckons. Might even try find a 540i Vac booster.

Buy the manual 535 that's here and use the booster from that then put the rest in the touring, then put the computer and loom from that in the e30. It was ment to be I tells ya!

Edited by euroriffic

Mk1 Golf booster bolts straight in using same Master Cyl and everything and it's a smaller overall diameter.

You just get slightly less brake assistance.

Buy the manual 535 that's here and use the booster from that then put the rest in the touring, then put the computer and loom from that in the e30. It was ment to be I tells ya!

you talking about the alpina one someone posted up? yeah but its a 535i not 525i. if it was, this is really not a bad idea at all. dont think it had the alpine rear kit though just front and sides.

Mk1 Golf booster bolts straight in using same Master Cyl and everything and it's a smaller overall diameter.

You just get slightly less brake assistance.

And in an e30 with horrible brakes to start with... thats pretty suckfull.

Yea that's the one, and no matching skirts and rear. but remember his touring is a m50b25 so can use that computer and loom for the e30

Nah, I'd never put anything other than an M5x in the E34. not interested in M30's lol. it's not tidy enough to worry about making awesome.

What do you need to use for temp sensors on the M52 to OB1? Ive read somewhere you need to splice wires as the m52 has one four wire temp sensor and the m50 has two? Also the timing cover has different coolant connections? The sumps are different in an m50 and m52 also (the dipstick area). Could be wrong...

What do you need to use for temp sensors on the M52 to OB1? Ive read somewhere you need to splice wires as the m52 has one four wire temp sensor and the m50 has two? Also the timing cover has different coolant connections? The sumps are different in an m50 and m52 also (the dipstick area). Could be wrong...

correct, need to tap into the head and install a separate sensor. unless your name is Josh (Hybrid) probably not easily doable. Timing cover has same coolant connections in my experience only metal on a non vanos M50 and plastic on the rest. need M50E34 sump dipstick tube and dipstick, and also the mounting hardware. if its off a very late E34 then it may have a bracket on the dipstick for some of the emissions gear, dont worry about that

I already have an M50 Sump/Pickup and Dipstick

Posted Image