Sign in to follow this  
vtgts300kw

Drivers Footwell Wet Carpet

There's a leak somewhere. Any likely places other than a hole in the floor?

None of the sides seem damp, just the bottom, and most damp around the pedals, probably just due to the slope.

There's a leak somewhere. Any likely places other than a hole in the floor?

None of the sides seem damp, just the bottom, and most damp around the pedals, probably just due to the slope.

E30?

Does it have a sunroof? Drains may be blocked somewhere down the tubes.

Under the vents on the windowwiper panel may be rusted out.

Firewall rust?

Could water leak through the hole that the master cylender goes through?

Some common e30 related probs.

also the little "elephant trunk" on the firewall just below battery box often gets clogged up

Has the sunroof, it the drain appears to be draining normally.

Have taken some of the carpet away ( can't figure out how to take the accelerator off? ) and its not damp, it's SOAKING.

the accelerator pedal has a cir-clip at the top, take it off and slide the dowel pin out...

poke a screw driver at the footwell (you can do this from under the car if easier) just to check for the obvious first.

Edited by _Matt_

the accelerator pedal has a cir-clip at the top, take it off and slide the dowel pin out...

poke a screw driver at the footwell (you can do this from under the car if easier) just to check for the obvious first.

Yeah I've taken the clip out, I meant how do you unclip it from the floor?

i have a problem with that and its coming from the heater/fan unit if so most of the water will be just behind the clutch pedal best thing to do is take seat out and lay under the dash and get a mate to to hose the sh** out of the car and should show where the leak is coming from

Yeah I've taken the clip out, I meant how do you unclip it from the floor?

just pull up really hard. or a wide area pry bar, and push down, up against the carpet.

also the little "elephant trunk" on the firewall just below battery box often gets clogged up

This is what caused my E30 to leak. There are a few good write up's with pictures floating around on the web if you need some pointing in the right direction.

Good luck

just pull up really hard. or a wide area pry bar, and push down, up against the carpet.

i just avoided pulling incase i broke the pedal at its weakest point :) I just pulled the carpet over the pedal when i took mine out.

Thanks guys. Gonna be a long, shitty day tomorrow I can tell.

How do you take of the door sill trim? I've got the actual sill trim off ( it just clips off ) but the piece on the top lip of the sill that goes over the carpet.

Edit: Just checked the elephant trunk, that sucka was blocked completely. Is this "likely" the cause of the issue? The sunroof drains appear to be fine, and there are no noticeable gaps in the firewall ( slave seals etc )?

What would be happening if this trunk was causing it? Where is the water backing up to and where would it be entering the cabin?

And finally, what's the best way to dry out the carpets and footwell?

Edited by vtgts300kw

its a bit of a crap design really. what i did on my twincam project back in the day, you should see how its straight and then it sort of pinches together at the end right? i just took a hack saw to the end of it and got rid of that pinched/tapered bit, and never had the problem again. from memory, rotate it 90 degrees one way or the other and it will pull out. but been about 4 years since i did it now

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_