Sign in to follow this  
Markw336

E30 m20b20 timing adjustment

hi all i have recently aquired an 1988 320i beemer and ive noticed it was a little bit slow for the size of the motor and my dad has pointed out to me thats its the timing because its also quite hard to start which also leads me to think that hes right

it has an m20b20 motor i cant seem to find much on it so if anyone knows how to it would be greatly appreciated on the knowledge on how to adjust the timing

Being 88 - is it a pre facelift (chrome bumper) or F/L car? If pre - has a distributor on LH side of engine to adjust timing in usual manner. If F/L car - it is Motronic which is full engine management & ign timing is controlled by ECU

ok well it apears to be a facelift as it has a plastic bumper and what i thought was the dizy isnt as the leads go in sideways so with this being the case what would cause the car to run retarded timing other then the timing belt not being put on properly even tho i have idea when it was last replaced

I'd do the timing belt, and check it's on right.

They need to be done every 4-5 years, regardless of milage, and the milage varies, but I wouldn't leave it to 100K.

ok well it apears to be a facelift as it has a plastic bumper and what i thought was the dizy isnt as the leads go in sideways so with this being the case what would cause the car to run retarded timing other then the timing belt not being put on properly even tho i have idea when it was last replaced

The unit in the front at the end of the cam is the distributor, but that's all it does - distribute HT spark. The timing controlled by the ECU.

As above - first check that cam timing is correct, if unsure of it's age - replace it

I'd do the timing belt, and check it's on right.

They need to be done every 4-5 years, regardless of milage, and the milage varies, but I wouldn't leave it to 100K.

I 2nd this. Its probably 1 tooth out and while you are there put a new one on

They come slow like that from the factory.

They come slow like that from the factory.

I thought I already replied to this thread and said this - If it's a 2.0 auto, they are slow!

i still dont think it should be as slow as it is plus its hard to start and idles rough after starting for a few seconds then comes right also the plugs and leads are new but im buying a timing kit and water pump tomoro but going to check the timing tomoro after work

check for vac leaks , bad icv , worn out afm , worn out dizzy and rotor , worn plugs , dirty air filter , stuffed fuel pressure reg , do a compression check.

and yes the 320i auto are a bit slow off the mark , tall gearing and rev happy top end power , but not much torque down low.

bring it around if you want me to look at it

brent@bmworld.co.nz

papakura

ok so i took it to a mechanic and we couldnt find the timing lines on the motor so we didnt do that but he took it for a drive and had a thought the torque converter might be playing up and then we chucked a scanner on it and it had the ekp relay code on it from doing a little bit of research that appears to be the fuel pump relay so probally going to pull the timing covers off tomoro and have a look

ok so ive done the timing now the old belt was 1 tooth out and the tensioner was making a light bearing noise, i also replaced the viscous fan and the squealy belt so now the car runs and sounds a thousands times better still seems to take a bit to start but starts slightly easier

ok so ive done the timing now the old belt was 1 tooth out and the tensioner was making a light bearing noise, i also replaced the viscous fan and the squealy belt so now the car runs and sounds a thousands times better still seems to take a bit to start but starts slightly easier

:) told ya