Sign in to follow this  
misgvous_1

question for the masses

hey guys

i got a bit of a prob.

i own a 1989 E30 3181a4. and apart from it being an 18 its a great car. but the paint is sh*t. the clearcoat has gone and the bonnet and boot are suffering from wat the painter liked to call crazy crack.

my question is is it worth gettin the whole car redone?

i was quoted 1500-2000 by a painter for mates rates and if i help out with all the ground work

i was thinkin of keepin it the same colour but putin a couple of coats of clear coat over the top to make it look wet.

i have got plans for this car in the distant furture.

cheers

jamie

post-2-1125316441.jpg

Does the whole car need respraying or just the bonnet and boot (and probably roof)

Would be cheaper surely if you just sprayed the bonnet and boot and then at least you can still drive around.

Unfortunately, people who own red cars (we've all been there) have to learn that their paint deteriorates faster than all other colours.

Personally, if you love the car, I'd go with a full respray, but you might get away with just the bonnet & boot and a decent cut with a fill clear coat spray.

Bear in mind the costs of above are almost more than the car is worth.... but if you have plans.... go fer it!

Homy D Clown mite b able to do ya a deal, doesnt he have that sorta hookups.

haha family owned panelshop kinda counts as hookups..

respray budget around 3k for.

Clear coats over the tops not gonna help anything.If youve got big plans live with it.Noone wants to ruin loverly paint if your guards need rolling with those loverly big ass wheels youve got planned. B)

Otherwise part respray might be the go like Carl says.

BTW get in there and help with it and learnm as much as you can.Spraying a car isnt as hard as it looks,just takes practice and knowing where to start!

Edited by DirtySix

thanks for your help guys

I'd do your other plans first and live with bad paint. Its just paint.

i could live with it if it was jus bad paint. but the paint is startin to come off the bonnet and causin it to rust in places.

i myt have to go for the bonnet and boot

got qouted 500 jus for that. myt get the bumpers and mirrors colour coded while im there. and cus its a mate doin it

cheer

Edited by misgvous_1