Sign in to follow this  
Jazzbass

overriding the governor

An M3 I was in recently had a speedo which went to 320kph.

The service manager at the local BMW agent told me that he doesn't believe the governing (set to 250) can be overridden. He said some people claim to have worked around it, but he thinks they're all bullshit. So are the higher speeds on some speedos just a wank factor?

I find that hard to believe. Surely the governor can be tricked??

Anyone here with a perspective on that?

I think some chips can remove speed limiters, not sure about the later model cars though.

Read somewhere BMW will de-restrict the CSL if you have the right race licences, not sure if theres any truth to that.

It's just a chip, it can be changed. My Legacy has a 180k limiter on it, tested in UK at 233k. From memory, a chip will unleash the lot. Companies won't admit it for liability reasons.

is a 140k/h limiter unheard of? cos thats what it feels like in my 320i, on the 4th gear in the auto box it cant go beond 3000rpm's.

and the fuel usage gage goes down most of the way which feels like some thing is over riding the peddle .

or is my car just gutless.

sure pain to be using all that fuel and not enjoying it as i should be. hopefully itl change when i attempt to change the motor and box this week.

sorry going off topic.

do you need somthing to replace the limiter or does the space neednt be occupied?

Edited by bem-on

Guest Andrew

is a 140k/h limiter unheard of? cos thats what it feels like in my 320i, on the 4th gear in the auto box it cant go beond 3000rpm's.

and the fuel usage gage goes down most of the way which feels like some thing is over riding the peddle .

or is my car just gutless.

sure pain to be using all that fuel and not enjoying it as i should be. hopefully itl change when i attempt to change the motor and box this week.

sorry going off topic.

do you need somthing to replace the limiter or does the space neednt be occupied?

yes thats unheard of - there is no 140 kph limiter on your car.

It may just be super slow.

is a 140k/h limiter unheard of? cos thats what it feels like in my 320i,

you poor, poor bastard...

my deepest sympathies to you

we will put somthing together contear.

think about it on the flipside. going faster = more wastered fuel.

you work at a petrol station. you sure must bear the brunt of people who dont like petrol prices going up.

thanx man, sounds real good.

its funny as, works been real good its like dead for most hours and my boss put a computer on the front counter so i can study and stuff. its got jetstrem so im on the net most of the time.

catch up with you soon Tim

na if you have a long enough straight you might just get 180km/h like i did didnt take to long but man the autos suck. im doing a manual next year now i cant afford to this year :(