Sign in to follow this  
smint400

pod filter and intake

does anyone know where I can get a pod filter for a bmw e92 320i and a f20 116i?? the engine bay looks really packed... not sure how or what to do before it would fit...

You might find the aftermarket filters don't make too much of a difference to a stock motor besides a slight increase in induction noise. Plus the MAF sensors tend to sh*t themselves when the filter oil makes its way through the intake.

Your engine ends up breathing hot air from the engine bay that has the effect of reducing horsepower. So you basically waste whatever time & $ you spent on the filter.

Better off buying OEM spec than the usual K&N / HKS / other crap from repco that make claims that usually can't be substantiated I reckon.

Or look at a proper cold air induction kit from Dinan or similar. More expensive but at least they put the R&D into their designs

You might find the aftermarket filters don't make too much of a difference to a stock motor besides a slight increase in induction noise. Plus the MAF sensors tend to sh*t themselves when the filter oil makes its way through the intake.

Your engine ends up breathing hot air from the engine bay that has the effect of reducing horsepower. So you basically waste whatever time & $ you spent on the filter.

Better off buying OEM spec than the usual K&N / HKS / other crap from repco that make claims that usually can't be substantiated I reckon.

Or look at a proper cold air induction kit from Dinan or similar. More expensive but at least they put the R&D into their designs

thanks for that! do you know approximately how much would it cost for a cold air induction kit??

sorry for sounding stupid lol not much knowledge about cars ... would you be able to fill me in on the MAF sensor issue? and how does oil gets into the filter...? just want to learn more

thank you! :lol:

Edited by KLW

If your filter is oiled like a k&n reusable filter the intake will slowly suck the oil particles up and that can interfere with the maf.

thanks for that! do you know approximately how much would it cost for a cold air induction kit??

For a car as new as yours, I have no idea. Google is your friend! Dinan would be a good place to start looking, Turner Motorsports may offer something too.

sorry for sounding stupid lol not much knowledge about cars ... would you be able to fill me in on the MAF sensor issue? and how does oil gets into the filter...? just want to learn more

thank you! :lol:

Again, Google will answer most questions. Oil on MAF sensors is a universal problem. Plus the foam type filters will start to disintegrate as they age, sending foreign matter into your engine. Which is never good.

If you're chasing more horsepower you might find it easier to sell what you have and get into a Bimmer with a bit more oomph than the 116i and 320i can offer. A hypothetical 5hp gain on a daily driven street car will make no noticeable difference, moving up to say a 325i, with 95bhp more than your 120bhp 116i, will.

Just my 2c

Edited by Ahmedsinc

If your filter is oiled like a k&n reusable filter the intake will slowly suck the oil particles up and that can interfere with the maf.

oh right! thanks did not know that some air filter are oiled! so basically a pod filter will be useless because it sucks in hot air so it will kill the torque

At this level on such newer cars I would leave it as standard if I were you.

hm... yea probably won't do anything to the f20 because of the warranty but the e92 has been around since 2008 so thought could do something to it ... not worth selling because it's pretty much worth nothing now comparing how much I paid for it back then..

Did some quick googling apparently no power gain bit the car will sound better also apparently the k&n filter kne2021 will be a direct swap for the e92 and will fit in the original air box so won't suck hot air in. Sounds like good news and actually quite cheap on eBay! But quite worried about the maf sensor issue and am getting mixed opinion from other forums. This is the actual k&n release regarding this matter http://www.knfilters.com/MAF/massair.htm

I believe MAF issues come from using too much oil on the filter. Could also happen if you run a K&N panel filter, which doesn't seem to have such a bad rep.

I have been running a K&N cold air induction kit in my E36 for 3 years with no issue, but maybe my older beemer isn't as sensitive to the MAF issues as the newer models might be, or it's an issue waiting to happen and I've been lucky. The sound is choice, but I didn't notice any difference in power. The headshield provided with the kit is just ok; I am looking at getting some heat shielding material to wrap around it to make it more effective.

Oh and the insurance company didn't like me putting that in my car, they tried increasing my premiums and heavily ramping up my excess for this "performance mod". I told them to shove it, and changed to another provider who had a good laugh when I told them.

You could find better things to spend your money on than pod filters and intakes for these two cars; whether it's on car-related things or not.

;)

You could find better things to spend your money on than pod filters and intakes for these two cars; whether it's on car-related things or not.

;)

Agreed.

Although if you are still adamant about getting a pod filter, turner motorsport had some non-oiled (dry) aFE ones I *think* from what I had a glimpse of last time I was browsing. Never used one of these and no idea of what outcome you would get from installing them other than a slight change in sound.

;)

True. Stick with OEM paper if you can.

Personally I would spend the saved money on a nice jumper or cardigan... or some car cleaning products, a clean car or a nice jumper is more impressive than a induction roar on a 320i.

Agreed.

Although if you are still adamant about getting a pod filter, turner motorsport had some non-oiled (dry) aFE ones I *think* from what I had a glimpse of last time I was browsing. Never used one of these and no idea of what outcome you would get from installing them other than a slight change in sound.

I just received my AFE pro dry airfilters from turner motorsport. probably no real power gains but at least they are re-useable so you are saving at each service as well as the environment.

I changed (from K&N) when i read up about oiling MAF sensors. Switched to new MAF sensors solved my occasionally stall issue but haven't improved power that I can feel.

At least I know that the MAF's are new and there's no possibility of oil getting on them.

What Graham says...

Posted Image

Dinan will probably do a good CAI kit but to get any appreciable benefit you'll need their Stage 1/2 engine tune so you're looking at around NZ$1000+ shipping and you'll have to do without your car for a few weeks while you send your ECU to the states for the tune. Trust me, I've done a lot of research on this for my E39!

I've dynoed a few ideas on my race car and had similar results as other race guys doing the same thing.

Result: BMW OEM plastic air intake boxes are extremely well designed. Crafty crouts didn't leave a spare 10hp sitting there waiting for you to bolt something different on a standard engine.

If your seriously changing the motor specs then yes maybe you need more flow. The standard setup is hard to get much more power on a stock engine with stock size AFM and TB's.

hm... thanks for that guys! probably save the money for tints then!

hm... thanks for that guys! probably save the money for coke 'n' hookers!

Onyamate.

Onyamate.

It's going to be a fairly nasty hooker with the change from a pod filter after you've paid for the coke.

Bro, $300.00 will go a long way in Papatoetoe, the coke may not be quality and the hooker may not be a female but you will definitely have an interesting night.

Keen as on that jumper.

Bro, $300.00 will go a long way in Papatoetoe, the coke may not be quality and the hooker may not be a female but you will definitely have an interesting night.

Keen as on that jumper.

LOL!!! honestly couldn't stop laughing!!! I guess I will be staying in to study for my exams next week!!

It's going to be a fairly nasty hooker with the change from a pod filter after you've paid for the coke.

That's what the coke's for.

Keen as on that jumper.

At least the manwhorebeasties there are an improvement on what loiters in Southmall after dark!!