Sign in to follow this  
ari000

worn valve stem seals

bought myself a manual 1996 328i M52B28 sedan a few weeks ago, the water pump fell apart in the first 20 minutes :)

Car is blowing some white smoke at idle and after doing a little googling worn valve stem seals fits the symptoms pretty well.

So my question is if i have to get this done what other stuff can i do at the same time to improve performance and kill 2 birds with one stone?

New valve set, M3 cams???

I'm new to the forum sorry if this has been addressed, tried a search but couldn't find anything specific

Thanks

Edited by ari000

New valves, new valve springs, camshaft, may aswell do head gaskets too

New valves, new valve springs, camshaft, may aswell do head gaskets too

Cool thanks, looks like the lsd and exhaust are going to have to wait awhile

No probs. I had the same thing sort of. I was originally going to adjust my valves 'cause they were ticking like most e30's do, but then decided to get a new camshaft, valve springs, rocker eccentrics (maybe you should do that too), headgasket set and cambelt. Saves doing it later while you've got it all in pieces.

Yeah makes sense to take care of it all at the same time and hopefully save some time and money in the long run. Any idea how long i can run with the worn valve seals? the smoke isn't excessive at the moment

Might pay to have it looked at to confirm it's valve stems.

worn bores or rings from being over heated, stuffed pcv valve

worn bores or rings from being over heated, stuffed pcv valve

Thanks for the replys, really appreciate it.

If worn bores or rings would it be cheaper just to get a new engine put in?

are you sure its white smoke and not white steam??

are you sure its white smoke and not white steam??

Hmmm I am in wellington and it's super cold. I'll check next time but i'm pretty sure it smells like the cars burning oil or running rich or something

Hmmm I am in wellington and it's super cold. I'll check next time but i'm pretty sure it smells like the cars burning oil or running rich or something

Smell of burning oil & running rich are two completely different smells. From above advice of possible causes - best confirm the culprit before diving into things.

After having a look today it is steam, there is abit of water in the exhaust which is hopefully condensation. It's used abit of water that could be from it circulating after water pump replacement and oil but i did drive from auckland to wellington so that could account for it. Will go get a compression test done to be on the safe side since i drove it overheated for abit to get to the mechanics when the water pump failed.

Anybody reconmend a good BMW workshop in wellington?

I'm sticking with it. Bought another M52 with 120,000 ks. Just annoying I have to wait to buy fun stuff now

Ah gay as