Sign in to follow this  
Kevin3

BMW e36 central locking

Hi all, I have a 1993 e36 which only came with one key which I think is the spare. The car has central locking, how would I know if it also has remote central locking?

This is the key I have, thanks

Posted Image

Your car does have central locking, as in lock/unlock the drivers door or bootlid to lock/unlock all doors.

The key in your photo should be the main key. Not the spare.

As far as I know e36 models did not come with a remote key.

So no, your car won't have "remote central locking" to lock/unlock via buttons on the key.

My 328i had remote locking, as does the m3 but that also has a factory alarm. Have a look behind the rearview mirror and see if there's a whole heap of wires going into it. That's what mine had aswell as a red knob under the mirror where as my touring doesn't have remote loving and has just a normal rearview mirror

Edited by euroriffic

Okay I duno what I'm talking about. I just remembered that my last e36 did indeed have remote central locking.

And I remember it having a red knob under the rear view mirror too.

Must sleep. Brain malfunctioning.

Edit: my car was a 1996 model, not sure but I think they must have started around then because i didn't have remote keys for my 1993 model e36.

Edited by QUBE

thanks for the replies, I had the rearvier mirror off before and definitely no wires going in to it. There was a little red bulb in one of the blanks infront of the gearstick but it wasn't connected to anything. I must have a look tomorrow if there are movement sensors at the top of the A pillars. I think it is very unlikey it has the remote central locking really. I think I can still get a blank key with a light though?

i would dought it kevin , mostly later ones came with it and only as a option

Get a built sheet and see if a remote option is in your car at all. Would save a lot of guess work.

Even, maybe ask at a dealer to see if you can get a remote for your car. They can cross check this for you through VIN number.

e36 had remote locking for sure as mine had it. :)

Edited by SpikeyLemon

My '94 m3 has remote central locking so could be as early as then?

Check out http://www.rubmw.ru/vincode/eng/

Chuck in the last 7 didgets of the VIN (you can get this from carjam or the plate in the engine bay) and see if you can find anything about remote locking.

note my e46 comes up with

S305A FERNBEDIENUNG F.ZENTRALVERIEGELUNG Remote control for central locking

and my old e36 (1994 with remote locking) comes up with

S306A FERNBEDIENUNG FUER ZV/DWA Remote control for central locking

Even E30 can have it from the factory. my alpine white E30 i cut up several years ago now had BMW central locking (yes using a BMW alarm). The option is certainly there.