Sign in to follow this  
Arma

Some idiot broke my driver's side wiper

So was driving down Queen St while it was raining its ass off and some idiot decided to come and wipe the windshields of all the cars stopped at the traffic light. He came and wiped mine before I could tell him to stop and it must've hit the driver side wiper blade and now the blade doesn't turn, only the passenger side turns... argh! (He ran off, and it was kind of hailing so I didn't chase - didn't realize the problem till the wiper blade spin came to its next interval anyway)

Could it be a connection came off or something that stops the blade from spinning? I have no idea where the connections are or how it works. I can still move it freely with my hand but the electrics just not working. The blade still looks fine.. just doesn't spin. Hoping I won't need to get the whole unit replaced, god knows how much that'll cost in NZ.

Any inputs guys? Anything I can check? This is for my e39 530i. Will probably take it in to have it checked tomorrow (coming to you Glenn!)

Thanks in advance

Edited by Arma

So was driving down Queen St while it was raining its ass off and some idiot decided to come and wipe the windshields of all the cars stopped at the traffic light. He came and wiped mine before I could tell him to stop and it must've hit the driver side wiper blade and now the blade doesn't turn, only the passenger side turns... argh! (He ran off, and it was kind of hailing so I didn't chase - didn't realize the problem till the wiper blade spin came to its next interval anyway)

Could it be a connection came off or something that stops the blade from spinning? I have no idea where the connections are or how it works. I can still move it freely with my hand but the electrics just not working. The blade still looks fine.. just doesn't spin. Hoping I won't need to get the whole unit replaced, god knows how much that'll cost in NZ.

Any inputs guys? Anything I can check? This is for my e39 530i. Will probably take it in to have it checked tomorrow (coming to you Glenn!)

Thanks in advance

Swap the one over from your other E39

Bad luck.

Take it apart and look at whats broken? Seems sensible.

Probably stripped the mechanism where the arm bolts to the post. A mate did something similar & there was nothing that could be done except replace the entire mechanism...

Good luck!

The spindle nut is probably loose. The screen was replaced recently wasn't it ??

The spindle nut is probably loose. The screen was replaced recently wasn't it ??

I had the windscreen replaced in the last year by Smith & Smith, Manukau.

I hope it's just a lose nut :D

Hope it doesn't rain today, so I can actually drive the car to you.

Edited by Arma

http://i1146.photobucket.com/albums/o526/A...zps4dc598ef.png

http://i1146.photobucket.com/albums/o526/A...zpsc89d01cd.png

Parts photos of the wiper set up have a look and see what might have come loose or been broken. Like Glenn mentioned check the wiper spindle nut, under the plastic cover hasn't come loose.

Turns out the nut did indeed come loose. Most likely was not tightened when windscreen was replaced, and then became loose when the dude hit the wiper. Phew.

Thanks for the help guys. :)

Edited by Arma