Sign in to follow this  
Seanv

E46 Exhaust Q's

Hi guys, Ive got access to a welder and am going to give fabricating my own exhaust ago. Car is a 323i

I want a nice deep sound, and was wandering if anyone has tips/pointers they can give to get this?

(ie. What to cut out, what to swap out, etc)

Don't want to spend much and want to use as much of the stock exhaust as possible.

Current exhaust is very similar to this and already has CAT's removed

Posted Image

Any feedback would be great :) cheers

Probably best to get or make some nice headers in dual 3-1 style, linked to an OEM M3 mid section with twin cats and twin resonators/balancing H pipes running twin pipes to a free flow muffler, the rear box is the key IMO, so either get an off the shelf one, but they aren't cheap 500-1500.

Or get a stock M3 one, open it up around the body seam. Remove all the guts, and link the inlets to the outlets with quality perforated stainless steel tube of a thicker gauge, and pack the muffler with quality exhaust noise absorbing packing, there are a bunch of different types from what I've seen. Then weld it back up... should work well. The trick is to get it right to reduce any raspy notes, but that is the nature of these I6 motors so it's hard to avoid.

Edited by Michael.

Have a look at the dual system run on the 325i. If it is like the one on the 2001 325i M sport I had it was nice and quiet at idle but give it a rev up or put your foot to it and it wasn't have bad. Might be bit more than you want to do re your description just a thought.

Have a look at the dual system run on the 325i. If it is like the one on the 2001 325i M sport I had it was nice and quiet at idle but give it a rev up or put your foot to it and it wasn't have bad. Might be bit more than you want to do re your description just a thought.

Yea I was looking at doing that, cause i had similar on the e36 n that sounded real nice! now where to find one....

I heard super sprint mufflers are pretty quiet? anyone had experience

Ask around the wreckers somebody should have something even if you have to buy it in pieces.

I heard super sprint mufflers are pretty quiet? anyone had experience

I have one on mine, it's not quiet.

I have one on mine, it's not quiet.

Haha indeed, I've heard you driving past me on Campbell Road. ^_^

You can get different centre and back box mufflers for supersprint, this is why some are different sounding to others. Christean, you have a SS 'race' exhaust, about as loud as you can get. SS are pretty pricey for what they are.

Remus has good representation in NZ now .. the quality is a lot better for your dollars too.

As for performance. Remove any 2 into 1 into 2 or any where it collapse to a single pipe.

The tone is controlled at the centre muffler, Back box will give you the final tone. Beware of straight through type back box mufflers unless you're going for all out war.

Beware of straight through type back box mufflers unless you're going for all out war.

haha!