Sign in to follow this  
Arma

e39 ATF Reservoir Hose Leak

Another little, and hopefully not big, problem. :) This is for my 2001 e39 530i

Just noticed something, and it's something I did not notice a few days ago - and I don't think it was noticed when I was having my new cooling parts installed last week:

The hose coming out from under my ATF fluid reservoir is leaking fluid. I think it is the power steering hose, but I may be wrong. After taking a closer look at it I've noticed that the clamps on both of the hoses that come from under the reservoir have come off / snapped (see photos). Googling it seems like others have come across this issue a fair bit before. Question is, how could BOTH clamps have snapped/come off and fluid started leaking so much in the last few days? There is a fair amount of fluid/oil under the engine bay (where the guard is), and there seems to be some oil all around the area of the reservoir as well - e.g. on the intake manifold there is oiliness on the side - was wondering whether this could have been caused by some belt or fan spraying the leaking oil onto the manifold?

My main questions, however, are:

Is this likely to be a 'Get new clamps' job, or is it best to get new hoses?

How difficult (time-wise) is the job, for a mechanic?

Is it safe to drive the car to the workshop; distance will be ~3.5km? Have garaged the car and am driving my 520i around atm - didn't want to risk driving the 530i with the leaking fluid... (On another note, the 520i disa valve died zzz :D)

Anyway, here are some photos:

The hose that's leaking. I think the one next to it is leaking too.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Can see the clamps are not closed. And also, what appears to be, some oil on the intake manifold.

Posted Image

Can see the clamp loose here too. Is this the power steering hose?

Posted Image

Dampness / oil on the intake manifold. How'd that get there?

Posted Image

Edited by Arma

Those clamps havent broken. Your just seeing the tail of the clamp. Try tightening them and just check the power steering resevoir fluid level.

And yes, they are both power steering hoses. One is a return (the smaller one) and the other is the pump supply hose.

Edited by *Glenn*

These could have been tightened and area cleaned in 1/2 the time it that it took to post this topic....

M3 had the same problem, pretty common on all e36s and e39s I'm guessing. Like Ray said, a pretty simple task. I was replacing the fluid when I did mine but just get a big sirenge and suck up the fluid in the resivour, unbolt it to make life easier to remove clamps, and hoses, suck abit of fluid from them so you don't spill it everywhere, give hose inners a wipe with brake clean and the bits on the bottom of the resivour. I used a wee smear or atv silicone to give it a good seal then put hoses back on with new clamps, cleaned all the leaked fluid off everything then bolt back in and top up fluid. Job done!

Hi, replace the "O"ring in the power steering reservoir cap these get flattened by people over tightening them repeatedly. The reservoir hoses go hard over time, engine heat etc if you have enough hose cut the hard end off and re clamp them if not replace the hoses.

Those clamps havent broken. Your just seeing the tail of the clamp. Try tightening them and just check the power steering resevoir fluid level.

And yes, they are both power steering hoses. One is a return (the smaller one) and the other is the pump supply hose.

Ah right. I'll try tightening + checking fluid level once I'm back at the old house today. I might bring it to you early morning tomorrow if things don't look good / I'm unsure.

These could have been tightened and area cleaned in 1/2 the time it that it took to post this topic....

Had to get back to my city place in a rush last night, so only managed to snap a few photos before leaving the car at my old garage. :) Though I must admit I'm scared I'll get p/s fluid everywhere if I play with the hoses!

Cheers guys