Sign in to follow this  
actletpone

5/7 series buying advice $3-4k

I know someone looking for a 5 or 7 series with $3-4k to spend.

I have some idea of the e34 5 series and know how cheap they are at the moment.

But how does the e34 compare to the newer 5 series and how does the 5 series compare to the 7 series?

What would you recomend for a $3-4k budget? in terms of reliability, low maintenance cost etc.

if you find anything newer than an e34 for $3-4k it will most likely turn out to be a money pit.

can be done but depends how much car you want.

520i you can do

540i would probably be crap.

can go real hardcore with something like this

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=612162956

anything newer will either be expensive as it will be fixed up or be cheap and risk needing work.

if you afford to dump the car if it goes wrong you could get an e39 525i for that money just dont expect to many extras

if you find anything newer than an e34 for $3-4k it will most likely turn out to be a money pit.

Word

It's easy to spend $3-4K on an E39 or an E38.... AFTER purchasing one!

most BMW's that seem cheap, are going to be poorly maintained. they may not have problems, but they may have a lot too!

value for money a 7 series is prolly the way to go.as they are even less popular than 5 series.

An E34 525i, 535i or 540i or an E32 735i or 740i would be the go as people have mentioned.

If you can do the work yourself and you probably get an ok E39 528i for 4k but there are more parts that can go wrong\more to replace having a more complex suspension, electrics and engine. They also don't have as good build quality.

An E34 525i, 535i or 540i or an E32 735i or 740i would be the go as people have mentioned.

Sounds like that is the way to go. They are looking for a good condition reliable daily driver, newness is not really an issue. So how does the e32 7 series compare to the e34 in terms of reliability etc or are they pretty much on par with each other?

E34 definitely, it's 8-9 years newer.

Sounds like that is the way to go. They are looking for a good condition reliable daily driver, newness is not really an issue. So how does the e32 7 series compare to the e34 in terms of reliability etc or are they pretty much on par with each other?

e32 and e34 share many parts,esp say a 535 and 735.m30 are a sweet engine but thirsty.a later model e34 525 would prolly be the pick(m50)

Yep pretty much the same, E32 is just bigger and heavier version of the E34 with more features usually, they are usually cheaper as they're not too popular as kiwi535 mentioned.

Its the stop\start around town driving that makes M30 drink alot but open road its not much worse than M50 or M60, M30 makes up in being a nicer engine to work on, less complex and cheaper.

Yep pretty much the same, E32 is just bigger and heavier version of the E34 with more features usually, they are usually cheaper as they're not too popular as kiwi535 mentioned.

Its the stop\start around town driving that makes M30 drink alot but open road its not much worse than M50 or M60, M30 makes up in being a nicer engine to work on, less complex and cheaper.

Yea, m30s are pretty bloody simple engines. Depends what you think thirsty is. My only m30 experience is very uneconomic but it's a very run in engine. An e34s m30 shouldn't be to bad.

Most E34's ive owned averaged around 13L per 100km driving around Hamilton, open road its usually around 10-11 but that's usually going constant 110 and odd passing, you probably could get down to 9L if you tried and car was in good shape but i couldn't care myself as i don't drive the car for the fuel economy.

Yea, m30s are pretty bloody simple engines. Depends what you think thirsty is. My only m30 experience is very uneconomic but it's a very run in engine. An e34s m30 shouldn't be to bad.

its the only aspect of my 535is i was disapointed in.its was very hard to get below 10 l 100 k on the open road and i tried.around town its somewhere 13-17 per 100 depending on how start stop it is.

its the only aspect of my 535is i was disapointed in.its was very hard to get below 10 l 100 k on the open road and i tried.around town its somewhere 13-17 per 100 depending on how start stop it is.

try 20L per 100k in my 2.8L M30...

Must be very run in then or you live in traffic

I remember getting stuck in Auckland traffic once for about 1 1\2 hrs and was averaging 29L per 100 and i was driving a manual 535i, only other time ive seen that consumption was cruising at top speed.

355000ks, ticks like hell, piston rings are probably shot, the list could go on forever...its using 0L per 100k atm since its sitting in the garage waiting for its donor engine.

sorry for thread jack*

My 535is averaged at about 19l/100km, that's city driving

I'd go for the latest E34 M50 w/Manual I could find... the M50 is such a good unit. unfortunately they are not that fast, a bit thirsty because they are a bit heavy....

I have an E34 M50 Touring /Auto and it's thirsty as hell. Slow though... (but has 100kg+ on the sedan)