Sign in to follow this  
MilesP

Imported E36 transmission

I am missing my BMW to much so I want to go back to an E36.

I am looking at several options and one that I am considering is a 318ti with the M44 twin cam engine.

I had a 1996 323i imported from Japan and the gearbox was average. It wasn't rough but was jerky between the initial gears. I think that this is referred to as Jatco jerk.

I have noticed though that the 318i and ti does not have the same 5 speed auto. My question is do they suffer from the same problem?

Another question is would a low kms 5 speed jatco transmission have this issue? There is an 83000km 328i on trademe atm :rolleyes:

the 318i 318ti 318is all use the GM brand of 4 speed automatic gearbox , not the best gearbox around but they seam to last for ages , dont have the jerk . but a bit sluggard .

its a large gearbox over engineer for a 4cyl , weighs heaps .

they are a pretty old unit like holden HQ trimatic with a overdrive added to them

best to buy a manual 5spd one or convert a auto to a manual ,

my mate has had 2 318ti with the auto's both where converted to manuals , and both cars got about another 150km per tank of gas.

he drives from manurewa to pukekohe each day and with the auto's use to get about 550-600km per tank

now that they are converted manual he gets about 650-770km per tank, and thats driving any odd way a/c on or off etc.

i have another mate with a 318ti auto and he complians too his 330i gets better millage.

so the 316i , 318i , 318ti 318is all seam to work better when manuals.

Edited by Brent HARTGE535i

My budget will b 3500. I had the 5 speed on the 323i and while it was ok it felt a bit bogged down all the time so a manual would be wicked. There are a few out there but looks like its hard to find a good manual for cheap :(

..... its hard to find a good manual for cheap :(

There's a good reason for that B)

There's not that many of them, and they are WAY better. :D

$1500 and i can make it a manual

Yeah I thought that. I could be keen to get a tidy cheap auto E36 and get it converted. I sent an email to the local guys here and am keen to see what they come up with. TBH I would love a 318ti with the twin cam engine and a 5 speed.

Id Do what he says, He knows what he is doing :P , My Bimmer is being repaired by his team, and im happy so far :)

I really really want that car but I just cant afford it right now :(

I had the GM 4 speed in my 1998 1.9L E46 318i sedan.

As soon as I purchased the car I had the tranny flushed and it shifted like new, at 150km.

The only grip I can muster is that when going up a steeper hill or when overtaking, the kickdown to what I imagine was second gear, was more sluggish than letting it change down to 3rd instead. I suppose that is to say that the torque and power curves were badly matched to the gear ratios.

Incredible economy, however.

I had the GM 4 speed in my 1998 1.9L E46 318i sedan.

As soon as I purchased the car I had the tranny flushed and it shifted like new, at 150km.

The only grip I can muster is that when going up a steeper hill or when overtaking, the kickdown to what I imagine was second gear, was more sluggish than letting it change down to 3rd instead. I suppose that is to say that the torque and power curves were badly matched to the gear ratios.

Incredible economy, however.

I had an E46 318i as well with the same box but the E46 is quite different to the E36. Or am I wrong?

What would be the better car for daily driving? I drive about 40km a day and I do a mix of 60kmph and 100kmph.

I like power but just needs to make me smile when I put my foot down. I also need economy and reliability.

Would I be better suited to an M44 or an M50/52?

Also which would be the cheaper to convert to manual?

I noticed that almost all manual conversion kits on trademe don't include diffs. Would I need a different diff if say the car was an auto 318ti?

Forgive all of the questions :rolleyes:

Also just had a chat to the local guy and he basically said that while you are doing the swap and it costs around 5-600 for a 318i/ti you should do the fluids and master/slave at the same time so installed would be around 1800 - 1900.

early 1998-99 e46 318i have a sleightly different 4spd gm trans , better at changing but seam to pack up more often.

later 2000 318i have a 5spd gm trans better again.

buy my 328i m-sport coupe convert it to manual (can do it for you if need be)

they return pretty good ecnomy etc..

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....showtopic=45181