Sign in to follow this  
Fryday13

E36 Front & Door speakers

Hey

I've just bought some 2-way speakers to replace the front and door speakers (woofer for the kick panel and tweeter for the door as I understand it) I found somewhere a brief description of how to get to the kick panel speakers, I'm at a loss for the door, is it Torx head screws?

Also is the stock door speaker a tweeter? and if so is there a stock crossover that I can just replace with my new one? I'm quite happy to use any original wiring but I want to find the best way to go about it.

Cheers

Hey

I've just bought some 2-way speakers to replace the front and door speakers (woofer for the kick panel and tweeter for the door as I understand it) I found somewhere a brief description of how to get to the kick panel speakers, I'm at a loss for the door, is it Torx head screws?

Also is the stock door speaker a tweeter? and if so is there a stock crossover that I can just replace with my new one? I'm quite happy to use any original wiring but I want to find the best way to go about it.

Cheers

Check out the link in terms of getting the door cards off.

http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f92/e3...o-doors-t19986/

Consider putting the tweeters on the dash in the corners by the windscreen. Have done this on a couple of E36s which gives a good sound stage and pulls the sound up and forward.

yes you will need a torx screw driver to remove the door cards , use the factory wiring the amp that is in the boot has all the crossovers built in etc if it has it overwise if its a non amp car then use you crossover.

or remove the capacitor from the back of the factory tweeter

Cheers, I'm pretty keen to keep everything stock looking hence the door card removal! Thanks for the tutorial though!

Also, amp. . Where and how? I saw a photo on here somewhere I believe where it was behind rear seats? (sorry still very new to BMW's)

And so if there is an amp both signals run from there? And if there is no amp the crossover is by the tweeter?

Cheers, I'm pretty keen to keep everything stock looking hence the door card removal! Thanks for the tutorial though!

Also, amp. . Where and how? I saw a photo on here somewhere I believe where it was behind rear seats? (sorry still very new to BMW's)

And so if there is an amp both signals run from there? And if there is no amp the crossover is by the tweeter?

i might be wrong so listen to these other guys first, only had two E36s, but my understanding is if there is no amp, then there is no tweeter, and vise versa, its part of the premium audio pack or whatever they called it in the E36 generation.

but yes, if you got the amp it is definitely in the boot, pretty sure behind left hand side boot liner

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

i might be wrong, only had two E36s, but my understanding is if there is no amp, then there is no tweeter, and vise versa, its part of the premium audio pack or whatever they called it in the E36 generation.

but yes, if you got the amp it is definitely in the boot, pretty sure behind left hand side boot liner

Ahh ok, I shall Have a good look tomorrow morning for the Amp. Had a wee bit of a chat with the Owner of Street Soundz today about the speakers, He says it does have tweeters but I had totally forgot to talk to him about the wiring. All goes well I will be able to do this without breaking my fancy new looking car.

Ahh ok, I shall Have a good look tomorrow morning for the Amp. Had a wee bit of a chat with the Owner of Street Soundz today about the speakers, He says it does have tweeters but I had totally forgot to talk to him about the wiring. All goes well I will be able to do this without breaking my fancy new looking car.

when you find what you think might be the amp, find the part number, plug that number into a site called www.realoem.com and that will help you confirm what part is it, also cross compatibility etc.

BMW part numbers are almost always 7 numbers (sometimes 11 numbers to get a more accurate result), and usually start with a 1 at this age. will be presented usually like 1 xxx xxx etc. just truncate the numbers before that if there are any, might be x xx(1 xxx xxx) etc if that makes sence.

Head unit will also give an indication. Some had Sony's HU with built in amps like the NZ new E36's ( rebadged xr u550s). Wife's Jap 96 328i had the 3 way front system which the gear looks like Philips oem, But I changed the head unit and added a 4 change amp and went two componets. Placed the crossovers under the dash but left the door speakers / wiring alone. Either way it wouldn't be hard to tap into the wires coming from the amp.

Raj of Street sounds owned a e36 325i coupe as a demo car a number of years back. Knows his e36's.

Head unit will also give an indication. Some had Sony's HU with built in amps like the NZ new E36's ( rebadged xr u550s). Wife's Jap 96 328i had the 3 way front system which the gear looks like Philips oem, But I changed the head unit and added a 4 change amp and went two componets. Placed the crossovers under the dash but left the door speakers / wiring alone. Either way it wouldn't be hard to tap into the wires coming from the amp.

Raj of Street sounds owned a e36 325i coupe as a demo car a number of years back. Knows his e36's.

Ahh mines German imported straight to NZ. Original owner flew to Germany to pick everything out he wanted. Stock headunit is the "Businessman"? I believe.

Just trying to figure out really if it does split the signal and where that is so its easy for me to just go and access it, or if it doesnt split the signal in which case i'll have to add in a new wire to most likely the tweeter from the woofer.

These damn Euro cars and their crazy placements, 90's Japs seem so incredibly easy now :P

And to Andy, I'll check the part number if it is there. And see if it helps. Looks like I've got a lovely day ahead of me.

Cheers Everyone, I shall report back

If yours is a standard Business Radio set up in a Export market car destined for NZ , then it will have 5.5 inch drivers in the kick panels and tweeters in the door panels, the tweeter have a built in crossover capacitor.

Pillar mounted mid/ highs would be much better but no one appears to do a nice kit, nor does there appear to be an upgrade for the door mounted tweeters.

Ahh ok. I have so far succesfully got the doors off (A breeze as it turns out) have taken the tweeters out and am now making a custom like job of adding the tweeter spacer to the front of my tweeter then siliconing the front of the spacer to the mesh wall unit. So will not look different.

The woofers however in the kick panel are proving infinitely more difficult than I had thought. Started on the drivers side removed the bonnet release. The panel would then not come out. I had remembered seeing somewhere to take the underside of the steering wheel out. So I attempted this and got stuck as it wouldn't come out without the removal of the center console which seemed not quite right to me.

And so here I am, Tweeters drying and none the wiser as to how to get to the kick panel.

Taking photos of everything though on the odd chance anyone ever tries the DIY version again.

Maybe try this:

Link

Danke! the whole push forward part is genius! managed to get the passenger panel off yesterday evening and trace the tweeter wire. hoping today to be able to solder in the crossover and woofer. Then Try my luck with the driver side!