Sign in to follow this  
elmarco

Ultrafast broadband

Have to ask the question as to why Telecom are only supplying cat 5e from the fibre converter / vdsl box inside client premises. 5e only supports 100 mb/s over 90m max, as opposed to cat 6 which will push 1GB/s over 90m. With a price point of less than about $1 per metre max difference it's difficult to understand why. Sooner rather than later there will be a domestic fibre product capable of pushing 250 mb/s, and it will incur yet another cost to the end user for cable upgrades.

Typical Kiwi shortsightedness when it comes to infrastructure spending :( Yet another reason why central government should never have gotten involved in this!

Have to ask the question as to why Telecom are only supplying cat 5e from the fibre converter / vdsl box inside client premises. 5e only supports 100 mb/s over 90m max, as opposed to cat 6 which will push 1GB/s over 90m. With a price point of less than about $1 per metre max difference it's difficult to understand why. Sooner rather than later there will be a domestic fibre product capable of pushing 250 mb/s, and it will incur yet another cost to the end user for cable upgrades.

Typical Kiwi shortsightedness when it comes to infrastructure spending :( Yet another reason why central government should never have gotten involved in this!

Cat5e will support 1 gig @ 90 meters plus connections , it's cat 5 that is 100 m/bit over 100 meters. Not too fused with cat6 , can't see using 10gige over 30 meters spec for a couple of decades at least and it doesn't quite have the Bend radius of cat5e which will suit the install.

Edited by Neal

I got it installed recently, provided by Snap.net.nz.

Chrous were a nightmare. We live down a shared driveway, and when i signed up on the 3rd of Feb we were told 8 weeks MAX. It finally got installed 20th June. No communication from Chorus at all, despite my many attempts to get updates from them.

It was a bit more complicated as we decided to run conduit to my landlords place next door at the same time to save doing it later, but we were the only house getting the fibre connection (fibre cable can be blown down the conduit later).

Other than that, they bored under the drive way, made a small trench at the end of the drive to split the conduit to both places, and then bored more to get it to both places. Very tidy install, rather impressive really, but the time it took makes me wonder if it was all worth it in the end. Snap were good through out the whole process and set us up with temp ADSL in the mean time, but only after a month of no internet at all.

I got it installed recently, provided by Snap.net.nz.

Chrous were a nightmare. We live down a shared driveway, and when i signed up on the 3rd of Feb we were told 8 weeks MAX. It finally got installed 20th June. No communication from Chorus at all, despite my many attempts to get updates from them.

It was a bit more complicated as we decided to run conduit to my landlords place next door at the same time to save doing it later, but we were the only house getting the fibre connection (fibre cable can be blown down the conduit later).

Other than that, they bored under the drive way, made a small trench at the end of the drive to split the conduit to both places, and then bored more to get it to both places. Very tidy install, rather impressive really, but the time it took makes me wonder if it was all worth it in the end. Snap were good through out the whole process and set us up with temp ADSL in the mean time, but only after a month of no internet at all.

Same job I had done but they ran it to all 5 flats. I also had no contact over the whole time kinda disappointing service from them. I think the biggest downside is you are locked in for 12 months and the only way to get out of it is to pay the full contract out. :/ how are your speeds with snap?

I live around 1.5 kms from the city center here in chch and our suburb is not even on the radar to get it , I would have thought with all the ripping up of our roads this would have been the opportune time to do it.

Sorry Jason it doesn't seem to work like that that calls for the use of common sense. The powers to be work in mystery's ways if it runs like normal you will have a nice new road and footpath for say two weeks then they will come and dig it up for one reason or another. i.e. road is re-sealed then come back two days later and re-set man hole, point survey covers and then repair some of the depressions go figure.

It makes me wonder around here , Our road has been completely ripped up and I mean ripped completely up and redone 6 times since the feb quake , seems crazy to me.

In china, our guys saw them laying a concrete path around the factory one day then another guy out there the very next day carving it up to lay a pipe. Surely there are big savings to be made in construction costs just coordinating these planned activities?

Same job I had done but they ran it to all 5 flats. I also had no contact over the whole time kinda disappointing service from them. I think the biggest downside is you are locked in for 12 months and the only way to get out of it is to pay the full contract out. :/ how are your speeds with snap?

Yeah, Chorus are terrible. The work they do is great, very impressive, but the time frame and lack on contact sucked.

Im on the 30/10 plan, and this is what im getting ATM. Very good really. Would be interesting to see how close to 100 i'd get if i changed plan.

Posted Image

Yeah, Chorus are terrible. The work they do is great, very impressive, but the time frame and lack on contact sucked.

Im on the 30/10 plan, and this is what im getting ATM. Very good really. Would be interesting to see how close to 100 i'd get if i changed plan.

Posted Image

Agreed. They can't even fix our problem.

Somewhere between our house (Orakei) and Remuera is a glitch in the line which causes our internet to drop intermittently (sometimes 15+ times a day) which is a real pain in the ass.

Chorus have been here countless times attempting to fix it at the actual house but for a permanent fix need to dig up half of Auckland apparently!

Thankfully moving in 2 weeks to a property with fibre (being installed)

Posted Image

The product from Chorus (being consumed by your ISP) is a Layer 2 30/10M service.

You are performing a Layer 3+ speedtest, therefore taking into account the layer 3+ headers it is technically impossible to achieve a full 30/10M rate.

Just FYI :) and no it's not false advertising perhaps just poor expectation setting by ISP's.

i dont know what any of that means, but its more than fast enough for me! :D

I think what he meant was that 30/10 advertised is between Chrous's network and your ISP, where the Speedtest is between ISP and you. Hence the lost of some speed due to overhead, server delay/latency, etc...

Chorus completed install today. on 30/10 M/bits plan. Marked improvement over the ADSL2 14/.5 M/bits before.

Just got mine installed today. Before and after, both over Wi-Fi

Before...

ADSL%20over%20WiFi%20.png

After...

Fibre%20over%20WiFi.png

3274726933.png

Took awhile to find a configuration where I could pick up the house's fibre connection properly; I was sitting on 20-30mb/s but managed to arrange everything and this was the result! Very happy.

Edited by Tristan

The roads are done in layers,sewerage,stormwater,water,power,telephone,thats why there is multiple works,the top layets cant be done until the layer below is done

Got fibre at our home office in takapuna getting about 90+/40+ on the 100/50 plan by snap.

Pretty hard to go back to normal adsl from that.

Saying that also have vdsl via telecom at my parents house getting about 60/9.5 which is basically almost as fast as you can go on vdsl.

Vdsl in my parents house because fibre is not scheduled for a long while in their suburb.

Either service is worth it though. Let me know if you guys want some speedtests done. :)

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk