Sign in to follow this  
BMWZ42.2I

Engine Oil

I would say that put only oils you know and trust in your engine. Its is the life blood of an engine and you should buy the best you can afford in the limits of the engine type. The biggest things people over look is how the oil performs under hot operating temperatures and how it performs on cold start, on top of this is how long the oil holds its performance after 8-10000ks. Last thing you want is the oil breaking down after a few thousand ks. This is why you pay $$$ for the brand oils.

take a couple of containers to the closest bmw dealer and get the proper stuff

Hello everyone,

I need to change my engine oil very soon. I drive a 2003 BMW Z4 2.2I. I heard it's best to use 5W-30 100% synthetic oil. I found some cheap japanese ones on trade me. http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=615089504

What do you think about this one? I never heard the brand before though.

Your engine would be an M54.

You need oil that is ACEA A3 rated, AND BMW LL-01, according to BMW. That oil lists neither, and very little info is available. Just buy something decent that works. Castrol Edge 0W-40 A3/B4 is usually on the shelf at Repco, and IS suitable according to BMW - it's a high shear oil as required. There is a 0W-30 version available as well.

Since when has cheap been good? If the cost is a problem, buy something for half as much, but change it twice as often :blink:

Interesting one... I'd like to think it's good being sourced from Japan but now days there are products out there that ride on the 'Made in Japan' or 'Made in Germany' image of them instantly being a good product, yet are just generic cheap products repackaged in a cunning way or just made cheaply from the beginning.

As whats been said above, you're probably best to stick to tried and proven oils on the market with widely available servicing track records & reviews which also have the proper ratings your specific car requires.

Penrite HPR 5 will do both those things.. (and it's regularly on special for around $50 per 5L)

they even claim on their website it's BMW/Mercedes warranty approved.

Edited by antil33t

Penrite HPR 5 will do both those things.. (and it's regularly on special for around $50 per 5L)

Their info is a little ambiguous, but it does state ACEA A3/B4 and BMW LL-01. Just double check it's on the bottle, in case there are other versionrs (One image wasn't ACEA A3/B4)

Thanks for the info - I hadn't found that one yet!

Their "plus 10" thing is some marketing bullshit, though I do actually prefer the slightly heavier 40 oil (just makes me feel better!). My favourite is 0W-40, though 5W-40 isn't that disimilar, and certainly makes little difference in our climate. It also fits what BMW spec for the M54: 0W or 5W, and 30 or 40.

Thanks!

The PDF is a little more useful than the crazy website which seems to state a pile of things then say another pile.

http://www.penriteoil.com.au/pis_pdfs/5HPR...June%202013.pdf

the variances might be the fact there was an old HPR5 before it all became "full synthetic"

Probably is just marketing, but it's a good price for what it offers.

have always used castrol in the past, but using Penrite now because Castrol didn't do the oil i needed for my car.

the only non brand name you can use is Repco home brand, i forget which oil it is, but look along the shelf and you will see a brand name in identical bottles. but range is very limited.