Sign in to follow this  
kiwi535

give me the learn on e 60/61

any real world experience here with these?iddeally would be a 530d but now that i am a torque addict a 545 or 550 might fit the bill

Well I bought a NZ New 2005 E61 touring about two months ago so can make a few comments.

Jap imports need coding for the radio to work in NZ. Budget around $300.

Japanese nav won't work either. Around $1500 to get sorted. My nav works and I have to say the interface sucks, direction arrows in the head up display useful though.

There is no 'standard' option package on these cars. When looking some cars had the check book thrown at them, yet didn't have the small options like seat warmers. NZ new ones are the worst for this. Download the options for cars you look at as not all are readily visible.

The larger 8.8 inch screen indicates professional nav which also indicates a much more capable system.

An AUX in jack was a cheap option rarely seen before 2005. USB for MP3 was a freaking expensive option available after 2005 which is even more uncommon. You can replace the CD changer with a black box for Ipod control for around $600.

These often had runflats and some have no spare wheel.

Post Sep 05 have push button start and some systems revisions.

If their infinite wisdom BMW placed electronics under the spare wheel. These cars leak water into the spare wheel. Smart. Cost a colleague $2400 for a new module and myself a tow-truck ride a week or so back. Check it out.

Mechanically these cars are fairly good, the electronics are iffy and costly. Also not all are covered by most warranties.

Most 530d's I saw on the market were UK imports.

I'd say the E61's go for around $4000 more than the equivalent E60.

Buy the black E61 M5 on trademe :-)

Thinking of changing again Paul?

As you know I used to have an E60 (2004). You'd be best try to buy the later model as it would've come with lots of (cool) options. Engine was also revised at 2005/2006?

Unusual to have NZ New with Nav, HUD etc. Richard is very lucky to have all those toys. Fuel consumption was the factor I traded mine in as it wasn't as economical but as I thought it should be.

Thinking of changing again Paul?

As you know I used to have an E60 (2004). You'd be best try to buy the later model as it would've come with lots of (cool) options. Engine was also revised at 2005/2006?

Unusual to have NZ New with Nav, HUD etc. Richard is very lucky to have all those toys. Fuel consumption was the factor I traded mine in as it wasn't as economical but as I thought it should be.

have driven a 530d and lately a 525it,both NZ new.The touring was absolutley loaded had every option i think ,lane deviation,dynamic dr,HUD,navigation,comfort seats,(heated and ventlated and massage) and much more.While that was appealng in its own way i am really after a wee bit more room than the 120,but i still want something thats a wee bit different and or dynamic,or both.Didnt realise how L O N G the tourings were.So i am still looking.Have got my eye on a 535d.After the diesel i was a bit surprised at the fuel consumption of the 525,but i dont really trust the OBC on a test drive car.I was also pleasantly surprised by the auto.Dont love them but could live with one

Might have to see if i can find a highish spec 3 series touring to try

I'm noting a large difference between the 530i 6 speed auto and my previous 1999 528i 5 speed auto. I used to use sport mode all the time around Auckland to make sure it was in the right gear (especially up inclines). The 530i has a lot more torque and I've never needed to use sport mode. It never lugs like the 528i tended to do.

Consumption isn't the best. My 528i averaged around 12.5 l/100 in Auckland traffic. The 530i touring is doing around 14.5 l/100, largely due to the extra weight of a wagon I guess.

The 528i did 8.0 l/100 on the open road. Drove to pukekohe and back at the weekend and the 530i was showing 9.5 l/100. Wife is off to Taupo tomorrow so will zero it before she goes. She drives like a Nana so it will be a best possible reading at the end of the trip!

I test drove a couple of 525i's and the lack of torque was noticeable relative to the 530i.

Wow the 525it was really good. I'm a spec whore, wpuld've bought it.

I'm not sure 3er would be able to have the same options like 5er.

any real world experience here with these?iddeally would be a 530d but now that i am a torque addict a 545 or 550 might fit the bill

I have NZ new E60 530i sedan, was looking for a 530d touring, but could not find one, there is a 525d Motorsport Touring in Auckland now

I have NZ new E60 530i sedan, was looking for a 530d touring, but could not find one, there is a 525d Motorsport Touring in Auckland now

yes a 530d will be 10000 more than a 530i.

Well today my wife did Auckland -> Taupo -> Rotovegas -> Auckland in the 530i and it averaged 9.0 l/100.

I'd hoped it would do slightly better. She did mention how easily the car got up to 120 kph so maybe she didn't drive as slow as I expected... :unsure:

Well today my wife did Auckland -> Taupo -> Rotovegas -> Auckland in the 530i and it averaged 9.0 l/100.

I'd hoped it would do slightly better. She did mention how easily the car got up to 120 kph so maybe she didn't drive as slow as I expected... :unsure:

My wife can drive slower than I do, and will STILL use more gas. Apparently the car has an on/off pedal, not a throttle.

My wife can drive slower than I do, and will STILL use more gas. Apparently the car has an on/off pedal, not a throttle.

Same here, and mine will brake at the last moment using more brake pads and fuel all in one.

We had a E60 quite a few years ago, one thing that sticks in my mind is the lovely V8 engine ours had, was the cars best feature.

It had active steering that was a bit annoying and clunky, had a DVD based GPS system that was useless, a gearbox that dumb and a sunroof that had a mind of its own.

We had the 05 M545i and averaged 11.3L/100, not bad for a V3, was as good/bad as a Commodore V6 of the same vintage.

Well this weekend did AKL-Huntly-Cambridge (via bypass) - Rotorua - Hamilton - AKL.

Average 9.6 l/100 with cruise set around 107-110 whenever I could. A few passing maneuvers. Admittedly that route is uppy downy windy all the way so not good for economy.

Have to say I'm not impressed. The weight of the wagon can't be that bad. BMW figures for open road are 6.0l/100 :unsure:

Will check engine codes and start looking at plugs, filters etc to see if there is any reason for poor economy.

Well this weekend did AKL-Huntly-Cambridge (via bypass) - Rotorua - Hamilton - AKL.

Average 9.6 l/100 with cruise set around 107-110 whenever I could. A few passing maneuvers. Admittedly that route is uppy downy windy all the way so not good for economy.

Have to say I'm not impressed. The weight of the wagon can't be that bad. BMW figures for open road are 6.0l/100 :unsure:

Will check engine codes and start looking at plugs, filters etc to see if there is any reason for poor economy.

that doesnt sound bad to me!As you say NZ roads are all hilly and windy and windy(as in moving air).a far cry from a flat smooth windless autobahn at 90km hr

Their are many factors that can effect this what sort of gearing does it have compared to the sedan plus the extra weight it has and can be fitted in it??. The 2002 e39 530i I had used to return me 735-750k for a tank full of 95 mainly highway work if it was 98 a little more. The use of cruise control is ok on flat straight sections of road but any incline, hill work forget it turn it off. With the e60/61 did they really change much engine wise/ fuel economy?. The diesel option would fit right in with the extra torque which is what is needed and I don't see why they should be that much more expensive with the higher rego costs, RUC charges, possible extra maintenance cost (could be wrong on that one). What had you hoped for fuel wise?.

Do these have a temp gauge? My E90 doesn't & poor fuel economy can be linked to a stuck open thermostat & the engine running too cold. Be worth checking the live temp if it doesn't have a gauge. I don't believe it will throw a fault code either but see what you find.

Do these have a temp gauge? My E90 doesn't & poor fuel economy can be linked to a stuck open thermostat & the engine running too cold. Be worth checking the live temp if it doesn't have a gauge. I don't believe it will throw a fault code either but see what you find.

That's a good point - the gauge on the E39's is VERY buffered - it will read normal from about 70-75C, but the engine is running rich until at least the mid 80's. You have to use the live data to diagnose a problem anyway Dunno how it's done on an E60/61, but the E39 is via the OBC (unlock etc). I assume it's in the I-Drive thing somewhere.

The thermostat will bring up a code if the electronic parts has failed, but it just runs hotter if that's the only problem (not really good either to be fair).

My Mate with the E39 540i Touring got mid to high 9's on a trip from Auckland to Wellington and back. Our manual 525i can easily get 8-8.5 on a trip up north with the family in the car, and I have acheived 7.0 from Whangarei to Warkworth, by myself with very little traffic.

I wonder if BMW had fixed the Vanos seal issue by then??? Probably not!