Sign in to follow this  
elmarco

Tyre recommendations

The Golf needs some new boots. Its currently wearing Dunlop Sport Maxx but apparently they are end of life (wasn't that impressed by the wear life on them anyway so not too disappointed).

Criteria:

- must be quiet & good for touring

- good wear

- budget of around $200 a corner

- no directionals

It's a daily driver so no need for high performance, but I won't go anywhere near the cheap imported rubbish. Size is 205/55/16 at the moment but open to suggestions on what I can put on the same rim (will 225's go on there happily?).

I've had toyo teo, Pirelli p7, Goodyear eagle & Bridgestone ecopia suggested. Any feedback on any of these? Anything else I should be considering?

Ta.

i love my re001's i have two sets.

i hear the 002's are even better. you'd be crazy to not consider them

RE002's apparently not suitable for a light car like a Golf - they are designed for heavier cars like the 3 series (so a couple of dealers i got prices off told me). I have them on my e90 and they seem to be fine - but not sure they are the best option for the wifes shopping trolley.

I suspect it is more to do with the sidewall stiffness giving it a ride like a skateboard on chip seal. I gave them a chance to sell them & both guys at different dealers shied away....

I've gone with the P7s in the end. Will see how they go.

Yeah that's the trade off alright. The re002s on my e90 do expose the rattles in the car on chip seal. It's a shopping trolley & family bus with occasional long distance so comfortable ride is more important than high performance.

Interested to hear how you get on with the P7's, we put a set on our 'runabout' E36 325 because the price was right. Much better overall than the Direzza's we had previously, smoother ride, quieter, more balanced feel but lacking a touch of turn in. The surprising part is my son has done 2 track days in the car at Puke and they performed amazingly well, obviouly the ultimate grip was not there, but the car was a joy to drive at the limit and has minimal tyre wear. Overall a surprising result from what was a bargain buy.

I work at Tonys tyre service and would personally recommend getting a set of re002 re050 or MY02s

Also keen to hear about the pirelli's, sold a few through my old work and found the re002 to be a firm tyre for the good grip and feel but gave a few cars in the customers view "too much feel/ felt like riding on rocks" as mentioned earlier they have there place. I've found with my customer base the Toyo C1S was great for quietness and the Toyo Proxes 4 have had great results on MK5 GTi's all customers love the quiet supple ride with that little bit of bite. I'm in there market myself now for some new treads for my e30. but have a more interesting size to find something on, 205/55R15 looking at the P4 but also thinking about a yokohama option or Michelin. which model P7 is it?

Yeah that's the trade off alright. The re002s on my e90 do expose the rattles in the car on chip seal. It's a shopping trolley & family bus with occasional long distance so comfortable ride is more important than high performance.

Sorry to dig this up.

I am due for new tyres in the next few weeks and have been offered a great deal on some Bridgestones.

Options were the RE050A and the RE002.

Looking at the RE050A's tread wear rating I dont think I would even get 10,000km out of a set of those, they do lok like very good tyres though, noted a car the same as mine scored a record lap around the Nurburgring with them fitted.

I love my car but it is hungry on tyres, so it looks like the RE002 are the way to go. Looking for something with a stiff side wall and good dry grip.

Ive done 14,000km on my 050A's since new and thats including 3 track days and plenty of hard street cornering running 2 degrees camber front and rear with toe-out in rear. While I haven't measured the tread depth it looks to be at least 3\4mm left.

A haven't tried the RE002 but these have been the best street tyres ive used for what they cost me, the 050A's have higher load index than RE002 which one of the reasons i went with them. Im running 235\45\17 with 97 index and sidewalls very solid.

Cheers Jared, have been told the cops use them on they get good millage too.

It seems they have different compounds and load ratings for different sizes though and in my cars size (235/35/R19) they are very soft with a UTQG of 140, thats not far off a semi slick.

The RE002 has a UTQG of 220 so should get better millage, would hope for 20,000km.

My car is just on two years old and coming up for 60,000km and this will be its fourth set of tyres so I am looking for something middle of the road without compromising performance too much.

Yeah that is low, mine are 220. Sounds like 002's would better in that case.

Thanks Ron, I have been told the wear ratings are not a good indicator from the men selling the tyres also, not sure what to believe.

I do think it is size and application specific though.

People over sea's where the RE050a is OEM on the limited edition version of my car are getting 11-17,000km out of them, I know I will be at the low end of that so I think I will avoid them, even at the lower cost I can get them for that is only 6 months worth of driving for me.

Ultimately I have been happy with the Good Year Asymmetric II's, main complaint is that the side walls were much too soft and they make a strang noise when hard breaking, performance wet and dry has been good though as has the wear rate.

Think I might just go for the RE002, they are cheap enough and from what I can gather offer good dry performance.

Edited by apex

Ive always thought that wear rating numbers are only accurate when comparing tyres of the same manufacturer. Wouldn't surprise me if RE002 are better in the dry than 050's as they are summer performance tyre and newer tech.

If you get a chance Ron, can you check the UTQG and load ratting on the side wall of your RE050A's. Just curious.

I am tempted to stick with the asymmetric style tyre TBH, I have found them to be a better all rounder, am frankly amazed at how far tyres have come in as little as 3 years.

I have a feeling the RE002 is designed for the boy racer and people who buy tyres bassed on what they look like.

I don't know too much about tyres (other than I'd really like to get shot of the Champiros on my rear wheels but they were brand new when I bought the wheels and I can't justify $3-400 per tyre at the moment) but would like some advice on a set of tyres a spare set of wheels I've picked up.

Bought the second set cheaply to throw on for the add track day and to throw in if the car's in the shop for any reason to protect my RSIIs, but not sure what would be a good vs affordable tyre for that. My track time is for fun rather than competitive times so just want something that will grip okay in wet or dry, will be fine on the road to get me to and from the track, will last a while and doesn't cost the earth. An all rounder.

Sounds like the perfect tyre, right? 235/40/17

Thanks, so that is the same as the 91 and 140 ratting in my size. Just trying to figure if I am better spending a bit more and going with the Good Years again as I know I will get better wear out of them.

That F1 jargon has got to be some clever marketing for dumb people.

Slightly off topic. Does anyone have a RE002 245/40/18 second hand for sale? Also do we still get sponsored by Mag N Tyre?

The 050 is definitely a notch up from the goodyear but it does have a stiffer casing and sidewall which works really well on my 328 with firmed up Konis & M3 geometry set up for sport driving.

Very consistent turn in, great feel and no shoulder roll at some quite silly speeds through corners

what are you fitting them to again?

http://www.renault.co.nz/i/files/e-brochur...5_online_v4.pdf

Problem is the front wheels do a lot of work and these cars are a lot faster on the road than they are on paper, it destroys tyres! To get an idea of its performance, its the fastest FWD in the world and hold the Nurburgring lap record for a FWD, at track days and on club drives its as fast as new BMW M3's and Audi RS4's.

Ultimately I think I need to keep saving for some Michilen Piolet Super Sports and have the best of both worlds, dynamics, wet handling and a good 300 wear rate. May have to go down the tirerack rout again.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...romCompare1=yes

Edited by apex