Sign in to follow this  
MISS BM

Car Ownership History

Does a car with a history of 12 owners (I would be the 13th) scream some form of worry? two being dealers, but the rest all flicked off the car within 6 months, most common being 2-8 weeks? One owner for 7 years, but things got flicked from there onwards... I guess I shouldn't judge a car by its ownership, but its the curiosity of why It was being sold so often that worrys me... Previous owner had it for 5 months before now passing on to me?

Anybody else have this problem, and did the car come out on the other end as okay, or were there more problems than what could be fixed hence the regular sales? Car has only been in country from 2002, one owner from 2003-2010, then chucked around 12/13 times from then until now.

Or am I just being an overparanoid car owner ;)

Does a car with a history of 12 owners (I would be the 13th) scream some form of worry? two being dealers, but the rest all flicked off the car within 6 months, most common being 2-8 weeks? One owner for 7 years, but things got flicked from there onwards... I guess I shouldn't judge a car by its ownership, but its the curiosity of why It was being sold so often that worrys me... Previous owner had it for 5 months before now passing on to me?

Anybody else have this problem, and did the car come out on the other end as okay, or were there more problems than what could be fixed hence the regular sales? Car has only been in country from 2002, one owner from 2003-2010, then chucked around 12/13 times from then until now.

Or am I just being an overparanoid car owner ;)

Don't know much about E38s but it could possibly influence the service upkeep of the car? You would be the best person to make that observation. Owning an older 7-series to me requires a level of commitment, and it could be a reason why people get rid of it after the novelty wears off. There are also a lot of hustlers out there buying cars purely to flip it on and make a quick buck.

Now that you have purchased the car I would say forget about the ownership history and just enjoy it

Now that you have purchased the car I would say forget about the ownership history and just enjoy it

+1

My current M5 has 8 owners. I have to admit I had to check as to why that was...plenty of dealerships mostly but a few short term owners.

It had full service history so I went for it.

It's been the best car I have ever owned. 6 years now and counting.

Short answer, it's an E38.

And with yours being modified it's probably been owned by a lot of people who bought it (most likely on finance) because it was cheap, and it was a "pimpin gangster" BMW. Then when it came to ownership and maintenance costs they all realised they couldn't afford it so flicked it on.

Short answer, it's an E38.

And with yours being modified it's probably been owned by a lot of people who bought it (most likely on finance) because it was cheap, and it was a "pimpin gangster" BMW. Then when it came to ownership and maintenance costs they all realised they couldn't afford it so flicked it on.

Yeah it looked pretty mean before I had it, was on 22s so can understand the draw. But I got it cheap because it needed work. And the person before me had no idea about anything.. He didn't even know where the battery was... Hence the ownership for 5 months and flicked it off before the wof came about. Oh well, to date its only cost me $320 for fixing the things it needed (starter motor, brake rotors etc)

Not sure how much getting the bushes done will prop up the costs. Id counter in the fact I need a new bumper and trim.. But that wasnt the cars fault, was the male behind the wheel... So all in all not a lot, but I guess when you dont know what you are doing or where to go it can be rather daunting. I think it has a permanent home with me though... Not until a nice 740 comes around ;)

how do you know how many owners your car has?

Got a full car jam report, and comes with the confirmation of your purchase from NZTA

Or a MotorWeb VIR, very comprehensive report on a vehicle.

Would not worry too much, have brought cars brand new before and ended up the third owner some how.

Cars like the 7 series trade hands a bit, especially when they are still worth money, people buy them and get paranoid at service costs or have buyers remorse when they realize what they drive like, and when they reach retirement age they get passed from rest home to rest home after shitting the bed multiple times.

I have the perfect 740iL for you !!

2000 facelift...iL...178k, 1 NZ owner, Gunmetal grey,black leather...$9900

I have the perfect 740iL for you !!

2000 facelift...iL...178k, 1 NZ owner, Gunmetal grey,black leather...$9900

I do wish!! Im spewing now over the fact my mate totalled the 740iL.. 110ks, NZ new, service history, 96 and never had any problems with it. Loved that car.. And loved the fact we picked it ip for 4.8k 2 years ago now. Its now sitting on trade me as a wreck for parts... RIP you sexy blue bmw

Maybe I should start considering an upgrade... Hmmm

Maybe I should start considering an upgrade... Hmmm

thats how cars get new owners every 6 months! :)

fwiw i was the 4th reg owner of my 1990 535 which i bought in about 2002,and i am the 2 reg owner of my 2005 120d

Edited by kiwi535