Sign in to follow this  
m325i

MP3 solutions

Anyone got any cool solutions to hooking up your mp3 player/ipod?

I have a panasonic mp3 head deck, but the line in is only for the CD changer. The unit wont select the line in source unless you have one of those adapters like the alpine one. These are about $300 = too much.

FM transmitters suck, IMO, so they are out.

So the only option i see is a new head deck. Im not the best with wiring etc.

I was wondering if the plug in the back of mine would be the same as newer panasonic models. Then i could just do a straight swap, without having to rewire. (my head deck is pretty modern, so i thought this may be a posibilty) Posted Image

Thoughts?

Oh and btw, im no apple fanboy, just wanted 60g's

Guest Andrew

Hi - the wiring is pretty simple - you could probably ask someone to help.

But all chances are the plugs are similar if not the same.

Hi - the wiring is pretty simple - you could probably ask someone to help.

But all chances are the plugs are similar if not the same.

You know the single plug that all the wires go into. If i can get a panasonic with AUX and the same plug that would be ideal.

I have the manual, so figuring out what wire is what should be easy, but a plug n play would be a dream.

I love plug n play.

I love plug n play.

Me too.

I had an iTrip.. you are right, they do suck. I bought a new head deck to replace my Alpine one, Panasonic 5400W (has AUX IN) very pleased with it so far.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Nice.

Yeah i have found out that at least one panasonic i can get will be literally plug n play.

I was thinking of cuting a hole in the bottom of the ash tray and poking the dock connector through there.

My other option is a charger cradle + line in like you have above.

Me too.

I had an iTrip.. you are right, they do suck. I bought a new head deck to replace my Alpine one, Panasonic 5400W (has AUX IN) very pleased with it so far.

Yeah they good head units. i bought one for my sister, but it got stolen three weeks later. So she bought another one.

That one also got stolen, but by my Dad - he threw it in his bimmer. Unfortunately they look out of place in the e30 dash, but are pretty good units for the money.

Whats that m325i? more info please, link??

I've got a Kenwood HU in my E34 for which I got a cable to plug into the CD changer port that has RCAs on the end, then I took the cig lighter out of the ash tray thing and put the cable in there. Is all hidden from view when not in use, just lacks the charging bit...

I did the same sort of thing for the wifes S15 with Pioneer HU, both the cables where about $100

In my LandCruiser I've got a tape adapter :P am still thinking about what I'll do for that, may look at the Alpine options although they seem expensive and I'm not sure if the cost is worth it.

E36 OEM tapedeck yo.

Cassette adapter is all you need.

Plus i live with the knowledge that no one would ever steal ym stereo:D

Plus Ipod shuffle fits into ashtray perfectly.

Edited by Dnz

How come?

I admit to being a bit thick on the flash audio side of things.

I am looking at getting an iPod, mainly to use in the car, as I have been ripping all of my CD's to mp3's.

I was looking at the FM transmitter, and thinking it was a good idea, as I have a reasonably new Pioneer Single CD Car Stereo, and don't really fancy having to change it.

Cheers

Grant

How come?

I admit to being a bit thick on the flash audio side of things.

I am looking at getting an iPod, mainly to use in the car, as I have been ripping all of my CD's to mp3's.

I was looking at the FM transmitter, and thinking it was a good idea, as I have a reasonably new Pioneer Single CD Car Stereo, and don't really fancy having to change it.

Cheers

Grant

If your pioneer has a line in (or Aux) then it will be sweet.

FM transmitters suck for the following reasons:

1) quality will be poor because it is 'compressed' to be send via fm.

2) reception can vary, if you travel and have an iTrip say, you cant easily change the frequency you are transmitting on, so 88.1 may have a real station on it in Gore, causing interferance

3)AUckland has the most clogged FM dial anywhere in the world, there are few gaps where you can transmit a clean signal.

even if you were getting perfect reception, the sound quality is worse than a normal FM radio station.

My bro just got a 'special' FM transmitter, which is meant to be the best by far, (far superior to itrip), and that is only barely acceptable.

I admit i was excited when i first saw fm transmitters, don't believe the hype.

As i said if u have line in, just get a headphone to RCA cable ($15), and you will have near perfect sound.

EDIT:

how are you ripping cds? iTunes?

google afterdawn, and then search a program called Exact Audio Copy. (EAC). It is quite tricky to set up, but there is instructions on the site.

EAC will rip even you damaged discs perfect, no skips, pops etc.

If you have to use itunes, prerences>importing>custom use VBR encoding.

ooonst oonst oonst

Edited by m325i

There is another sort of FM transmitter you can get ... you can now get FM transmitters that plug straight into the Aerial and the aerial plugs onto the FM transmitter plug ....

The sound quality is sooo much better ... it's sorta like an aux in ...

how are you ripping cds? iTunes?

google afterdawn, and then search a program called Exact Audio Copy. (EAC). It is quite tricky to set up, but there is instructions on the site.

EAC will rip even you damaged discs perfect, no skips, pops etc.

If you have to use itunes, prerences>importing>custom use VBR encoding.

ooonst oonst oonst

I am ripping my CD's using Windows Media Player, it seems to work ok.

But I'm no huge audiophile, so it sounds ok to me, should I not be using WMP?

I take it that is I get an iPod, then I can still upload files ripped using WMP (i.e. I don't need to use iTunes or other specific software)? I take it that mp3's are all the same (apart from the choice of quality you choose to rip them to).

I'll check over the weekend for a line in on the Pioneer in my car.

Cheers

Grant

Are you sure that you are ripping them as mp3's, and not WMA?

WMA wont play on an ipod.

Look at it as a long term investment. even if you aren't a paedophile, it will suck in the future when your only (digital) copies of your music have skips or pops etc.

If your discs are mint its probably ok, but i thought that, then a few months later you notice a few tracks have squarks/pops etc.

Get rid of WMP, itunes is far easier/better, IMO.

EAC will give you mp3's virtually identicle in sound quality to the cd. If you listen to your cd then your WMP rip, i bet you will be able to tell a (slight) difference.

If your not to fussed about that, id still recommend itunes, esp if you are considering an ipod.

There is another sort of FM transmitter you can get ... you can now get FM transmitters that plug straight into the Aerial and the aerial plugs onto the FM transmitter plug ....

The sound quality is sooo much better ... it's sorta like an aux in ...

Still doesn't compare to an AUX IN though. If anyone is considering getting an iTrip or similar I would strongly urge you to save your money, they are really not worth the effort..

..however..

..if anyone has an iPod mini and desperately would like to get an iTrip mini despite what I've said, I'm selling mine :)

I know aux in is better .. but that option was for people that DOESN'T have aux in ...

I got it sorted.

I bought that craddle above, but have decided im not going to use it now.

Had to get a new head deck with AUX in, (so if any one is looking for a Panasonic 4x50w mp3/wma head deck PM me).

I am just using the line in, and have a bright blue ( :rolleyes: ) monster cable coming out into the coin tray infront of the gear deely.

pic to come

Bit late I know, but I have one of these. Comes with a car charger, and doubles as a nice hard case to protect the pod.

The sound is fine - clearly worse than CD, but if I want hifi I'll listen somewhere without tyre noise and tappets. Mine is set to 105.7fm, been all over the country with it (upto Paihea, west to New Plymouth, Auckland-Wellington, round the central south island) and have not had to change it at all.

The best thing about it is that it is so easy to use in other cars.

looks sik man, gj!  :puke:

gj? the :puke: confused me. thought you might be hating on my blue, bizzartch. Edited by m325i