Sign in to follow this  
Etwenty1

e30 manual conversion PFL into FL

Have decided to convert my FL 325i E30 using a manual box from a PFL M20.

Trying to get the parts list sorted, have decided to do the RMS and re-kit the shifter linkage so its nice and tight.I like the look of a DSSR selector and new bushes but this will add $2-300 to the costs.

Any comments on whether this is worthwhile or is the OEM setup ok if its all new?

Seems i may need a different CSB and pilot bearing.

Theres plenty of info online but any insight on this specific swap is appreciated.

Regarding the clutch, is there a way to measure/evaluate the cluch for wear? Is it a good idea to machine the flywheel surface if the clutch is not being replaced?

Cheers

I would just re-kit, the old steel shifter plate type one was always crap IMO, But will be fine if you change all the mounts, knuckle bushing and shifter cup bushing.. You may be limited with upgrades for the shifter linkage but worth checking.

I would buy a new clutch since it's a heck of a job why bother use a used clutch, may aswell go new to avoid having to remove the gearbox again. It's one of those "While you're there" type things, Like the rear main seal.

Edited by e30ftw

my FL E30 has a PFL gearbox installed (was great being rid of the useless 4 speed auto), it was from a 1987 Tech 1 2dr, along with the flywheel, pedal box, drive shaft etc.

A spigot bearing was installed, I don't recall it having to be from a PFL model.

I re-kitted all the shifter parts I could to firm up the gear shift and installed a Z3 Shifter at the same time.

I just used the clutch that came with my manual conversion parts as it seemed to be quite new, a year later its still fine.

Annoyingly I now have a spare FL Gearbox from a 1990 Tech 2 that had one 85,000ks but don't really see the point in changing it again.

At the time the PFL gearbox was what came up for sale however.

From what I recall, some of the shifter bushes etc were changed on the newer gearbox, but i don't know the details.

+1 for Z3 shifter.

Check what version of Motronic the FL is, might need the position sensor and speed sensor in the bell housing.

Anyone know where to get Delrin bushes for the shifter linkage in NZ?

Urgently need a part to complete my conversion, i have the older style steel shifter barrier and need the rear support.

Not sure what it look like but this is where it goes, linking that rubber bush to the floor pan.

post-2170-0-26153500-1386231251_thumb.jp

finally done tonight, just a couple of questions for the veterans :)

1 am looking at the throttle linkage where the accelerator cable attaches. I have some spare wings/tabs now the kick-down cable is gone. Whats the best way to tidy this up? grind them off?

2 It took a bit of adjustment to get the pedals at the right height, brake switch etc. My clutch pedal seems to have a notchy feel at the top. It returns back on the sping and stops next to the brake pedal - 9-10 inched off firewall but tap it and it will then return another inch or so to sit quote high. I have the eccentric bolt not the adjustable push rod arrangement. Whats this mean? master cylinder worn?

Edited by etwenty1