Sign in to follow this  
Phil-540i

Hi there - heres a bit about me, & 'Karma', a blue 540i

Hi there Guys & Girls. :) As always, theres a story, so here's mine as an intro...In my teens I had all sorts of fast 4's & V8's etc, but then got stuck in nearly 25 yrs of owning utes & 4WDs, which has revolved around work mostly, even though most have been modded a bit for what they are used for. In fairness, I 'needed' a car once for work, so brought a supercharged Commodore, chucked some police rims on it, used it, sold it. I've never really liked BMW's (said in a hushed whisper...!!), but I've got a good mate who does - so that's been a great opportunity for my amusement with his BMW bikes & cars at times over the years. But, I dislike Japanese cars & motorbikes too though at some levels - I find them lacking in character, & they have no soul or heart - are much like a F & P fridge on wheels to me. Hence, as 'a toy' sorta thing, I've only had Ducati motorbikes....... :)

Time marches on, NZ driving standard continues to drop, I'm now of a age that begins with a '4', & instead of another Ducati - maybe a 'project car' is what's needed. Look at all sorts of stuff, nothing really inspiring as such. Hmmm - I quite like the look of those E30 BMW's - could buy a 2 litre one of those, try to get the 2.8 motor & box into it maybe, trick it a bit - have something fairly kooool. Start doing some research on it......look at E30's a bit harder - do a bit more research on BMW's in general.

Then find a NZ new 540i for sale, do some research as I've no idea 'what it is', but looks ok, & 'has potential'. Start finding terms on internet like '4 door German supercar' from the 1990's - picture me rapidly gaining interest!!! (If it goes fast & handles well, it MUST be goooood, surely!!??) Maybe I'm still 'a boy' at heart......haha!!

Yea, needless to say, I own it. Which was kooool, until my partner piped up & said "That's a mid-life crisis car!!"...which then had me wanting to resell it!! It's gonna stay though - me & it are gonna get to know each other a bit better. Its fantastic to drive, & I'm picking has lead a fairly pampered & sheltered life by its previous owners - first owner being BMW NZ themselves.

So there's a bit of the story.....on a guy that really likes his 540.....I'll put some pics in the 'rides' section sometime. I'm thinking she's gonna be knick-named Karma, as I've got various mates going "You've brought WHAT.......??" :)

Cheers - Phil

Welcome Phil, nice story.

Very cool - I've always had a soft spot for the 540s. To me, the E39s are the handsomest BMWs ever made, second only to the E38.

Very cool - I've always had a soft spot for the 540s. To me, the E39s are the handsomest BMWs ever made, second only to the E38.

pity he bought an E34 then.

;)

pity he bought an E34 then.

;)

Lols!! Yea - just clicked that I'd left that bit out. Yes, its last of the E34's. Bit ironic really, as I 'thought' I was getting a E39 until I went & picked it up. For me, its probably better in someways than the later model - bit more 'old school' or classic type shape to it.......takes a bit to impress me with vehicles, but this certainly 'ticks some boxes'. I'm lucky though too in that it has been well looked after by previous owners. Same lays ahead for it too, with only 'minor tweaks' planned really......

I've learnt lots bout BMW's in a short time, specially given I never even used to know the difference between a 320 & a 328..... :rolleyes:

E34s are great. Nice old school feel. Should suit you better than an e30 me thinks. Keen for some photos!

Have same car Phil, nice when you flick it into sport at the lights and give it the jandal.

Have same car Phil, nice when you flick it into sport at the lights and give it the jandal.

Yea, develops a whole new personality once that switch gets flicked....... :D Power & handing & comfort & overall size of it would be what I like most about it......I'll have to watch that I don't end up starting roadside chats with 'Hello officer......'

I'm living in hope though that who-ever ticked the box for NZ new cars NOT having cruise control on them, maybe ended up with a 316 as their penance company car.........like we will even give it electric headrests, but nah, no cruise........what were they thinking that day......??!!

QUBE - I think you're dead right there........a tweaked E30 would probably have ended up not ticking all the boxes that this does.....pics soon.

+1 nice wheels.

probably alot more rare than an e39 too.

post up some shots

An e30 is nice in its own right. But a totally different level of comfort and luxury the 5er has.

Good choice on your mid life crisis car! Hahaha

An e30 is nice in its own right. But a totally different level of comfort and luxury the 5er has.

Good choice on your mid life crisis car! Hahaha

Cracking up at that!!! Well if nothing else, hopefully it'll be less brain damage & $$$$ than having a blonde on the side......and probably less trauma than picking myself up off the road when some muppet in a people mover 'didn't see' a Ducati........

I doubt I'll be wishing I brought golf clubs instead........!!! (I haven't got the patience or attention span for golf......) :rolleyes:

Lols!! Yea - just clicked that I'd left that bit out. Yes, its last of the E34's. Bit ironic really, as I 'thought' I was getting a E39 until I went & picked it up. For me, its probably better in someways than the later model - bit more 'old school' or classic type shape to it.......takes a bit to impress me with vehicles, but this certainly 'ticks some boxes'. I'm lucky though too in that it has been well looked after by previous owners. Same lays ahead for it too, with only 'minor tweaks' planned really......

I've learnt lots bout BMW's in a short time, specially given I never even used to know the difference between a 320 & a 328..... :rolleyes:

Haha - whoops! I'm not sure I ever even realised they made a 540 e34. Nice buy :D

Yea, develops a whole new personality once that switch gets flicked....... :D Power & handing & comfort & overall size of it would be what I like most about it......I'll have to watch that I don't end up starting roadside chats with 'Hello officer......'

I'm living in hope though that who-ever ticked the box for NZ new cars NOT having cruise control on them, maybe ended up with a 316 as their penance company car.........like we will even give it electric headrests, but nah, no cruise........what were they thinking that day......??!!

QUBE - I think you're dead right there........a tweaked E30 would probably have ended up not ticking all the boxes that this does.....pics soon.

Good thing about about E34\E32's is you can plug and play many options, all the wiring\plugs are there for cruise control so you just need to find a stalk, actuator\throttle cable and computer and plug it all in.

Lots of benefits in owning an E34 over a E39.

Good thing about about E34\E32's is you can plug and play many options, all the wiring\plugs are there for cruise control so you just need to find a stalk, actuator\throttle cable and computer and plug it all in.

Lots of benefits in owning an E34 over a E39.

Hi Jared - Yea, I'm picking its a gooooood thing on being E34 instead too - few less of them around too I believe. Re the plug & play bit there, I'm lead to believe that the E34 wiring harness had that as a generic wiring haress up to around 1992ish, but after then, it all became model & spec specific, thus can'nt be retrofitted......??!!

If its possible, I'll certainly be keen to look at doing so........ ;)

Jared..I had a 1992 535 a few years ago and sold it when I got a company car. I don`t work for that company any more ( ahem..) and now I`m in a NZ new E39. It`s a magic car, and only 20 HP down on the E34. But the E34 had that look..Oh sh*t so does the the E39...I don`t know really, maybe the E34 is a bit more seat of the pants but my local mechanic can work on my E39 too. I just love the I6`s...............

e 34 much more seat of the pants car than a e39,I have driven an e34 535i manual,a e34 540 6 speed manual ans a e39 six speed manual...my pick for daily driver,e34 540 six speed,my pick for overall fun,e34 535i manual,my pick for nicest car e39 540 six speed,but for me they TOO nice.

Pics please Phil

Finally, I have got some pics up.........heres the link.........

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....t=0#entry496017

Hi Paul - Id love to have a go in a manual one - rare to find though really from what I've heard. Everything else I've got is manual, so in some ways its a nice change having a auto as a 'Sunday car'. I tend to like ZF auto's in general though, even in Range Rovers etc they tend to be a good box.......

good work

, yes they go quite well as a manual , but i hear what you say the ZF auto's are quite good .

heres my old e34 544i 5spd manual i had....

building another one up soon

have a 540i touring auto , but have a 4.4L and 6spd waiting to go into it.

Finally, I have got some pics up.........heres the link.........

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....t=0#entry496017

Hi Paul - Id love to have a go in a manual one - rare to find though really from what I've heard. Everything else I've got is manual, so in some ways its a nice change having a auto as a 'Sunday car'. I tend to like ZF auto's in general though, even in Range Rovers etc they tend to be a good box.......

It took me a year to find my 535 manual,and over the course of many more years i drove the two E34 540 six speeds in Wellington ,neither were in as good cond as my 535.The e39 540 six speed was a friend of a friend.Oh and there is (or was) a white E34 540 six speed for sale in Welly recently.I got my 535 from Auckland

HI!

Just having a laugh at the "mid life crisis car" part LOL.

I couldn't think of anything further away from that stereotype....

HI!

Just having a laugh at the "mid life crisis car" part LOL.

I couldn't think of anything further away from that stereotype....

:);) Yea, cheers - that's sorta my thoughts too really!! Like, if it was a MX-5 (or a Porsche) with a 25 year old blonde seat-cover, then yes, I'd accept it's maybe looking like I've brought a mid-life crisis car...... (her 'thoughts' on it maybe being so lost a bit of steam when a couple of days later its being suggested that her 23 yr old son should maybe buy it off me, for what I paid for it, so he can then do nasty things to it more suited to whizz-bang ricers - umm, NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

:D So, being just a bit of a country-boy really, :rolleyes: that 'doesn't like BMW's', :rolleyes: it's probably easy to understand that I don't like chrome. :rolleyes: Never have. :rolleyes: Never will. :rolleyes: On a vehicle, it's right up there with alloy - its about as handy as a ashtray on a motorbike / milk bucket under a bull sorta thing. Like, I'm not a magpie, so I'm just not into shiney blingy things, especially chrome & alloy. (Because, once again - I don't like chrome ;) ). I've even brought new vehicles, & gone "Yea mate, lets get rid of all that chrome $hit before I pick it up ae" (Because, once again - I don't like chrome ;) ). "Hey, those alloy wheels there on that ute - how bout ya rip the buggers off, & get em powder-coated satin black for me - then it'll look gooood! (Because, once again - I don't like chrome, or alloy ;) ). "Yea, nah - hey how bout we just order up some black ARB bull-bars for it I reckon, those stupid looking alloy bars are for Queen Street or a builder's ute, & this ain't that sorta thing" (Because, once again - I don't like chrome, or alloy ;) ). Yea, well that alloy stuff, it's only good as a beer can mate........which probably explains why I prefer Woodstock, umm from a bottle... :lol: (Because, once again - I don't like chrome, or alloy ;) ).

Anyway, having brought my mid-life crisis car, it appears Germans of that era had some sorta weird fixation with chrome. :( Oh yay!! Right, all the chrome on this thing is going AWOL - its outa here big time!!! I'm on reTard Me, looking at black out grilles, trying to find ways to de-chrome around the doors, windows & in general, hey lets just get rid of all that shiny $hit, like FFS - even the poxy towbar tongue has been chromed on my little blue beast....... :rolleyes:

So, that Autosol chrome polish I brought the other day - great stuff I reckon...........few spare hours tonight out in the shed, oh babey - looks even more smick now than what it did!! :D

Coup-de-grace on the whole scenario - I brought one of those STUPID shiny tow-ball covers too - I'm sooooooooo soon gonna be needing to have a wee lay down on a soft couch & be talking all this through with some-one in a white coat..... :(

"Yes Dr, it's blue - its a BMW, I like it, & yea, it looks ok with all its shiny bits......" :)

Edited by Blue-540i

Get some black plastidip to do the grills and towbar. That way you can remove it if you hate it. I personally like the chrome.also look up shadow line trim it suits some colours. My E34 is white so the chrome is nice.

PS... I'm 23 LOL. DON'T SELL IT TO ANY MORONS EVER.

i reckon the chrome around the grills look good on a dark coloured car.If you have pictures of E34 M5 you will see the chrome around the windowws is not chrome,as antil33t said,shadowline my 535 had the shadowline

Posted Image

1990 E34 535is 003 by kiwiproflexrider, on Flickr

Edited by kiwi535

Thanks Michael & Paul - I agree with what you're both saying there. Much as I like the shadow trims, there's high odds it'll stay with it's chrome bits intact - been washed today on top of the bling bits polish, and looks gooood!!!! I'm cursing all the pollen around at the mo, grrrrr!!!!!!! Seems to even get inside the shed!!

Posted Image

Stolen off the internet, as per below is probably fairly close to what I see it evolving into over time......subject to money etc.......haha!

Posted Image

Edited by Blue-540i