Sign in to follow this  
BMRBOI

What would you do? M50/M52

Hi guys,

Just seeking opinions on what engine to use in my E36 coupe e36 coupe, currently it has the M50b25tu (413) with auto box 220xxx kms in it.

I was going to replace it with my M50b25 non-vanos including (402) loom, ecu and manual conversion (engine) I know the concept sounds silly but it has lower kms 170xxx and I freshened up gaskets approx 4-5000kms.

Now the issue is I have the freedom to mix and match, I could run the M50b25tu with the manual gear (I would then have to freshen up gaskets on this engine $$$) but would have the issues of rev hanging from the auto ecu.

Or the other option is to find a bare M52b28tu and run it on the OBD1 413 ecu and loom with the manual conversion (still will have the rev hanging issue)

Performance wise, for the hassle and cost would the extra .3L be worth the gain in power? Or should I stick the non vanos gear in there and enjoy the heart of the old car.

Thanks Niroy

Edited by BMRBOI

Do u mean 2.8L, not .3L?

2.8L-2.5L=0.3L

go for what is most reliable. going manual will make the biggest difference to performance.

Sorry missed the word extra

Do u mean 2.8L, not .3L?

Care to elaborate? It would be just a bare m52b28 (new general gaskets fitted) with all obd1 electronics and m50 intake manifold with m52 exhaust manifold matted with 325i non cat exhaust. The gearbox is the factory m50 one with lightweight flywheel and carbon Kevlar clutch.

M52 B28 and do it properly far superior engine to the M50B25

Yep I agree with the manual, in my opinion the non-vanos is more reliable due to not having vanos. The front end will be coming out regardless to fit the sedan gear in so pulling the engine out wont be much of an issue in terms of time.

go for what is most reliable. going manual will make the biggest difference to performance.

Non vanos has heavier valve train, larger valve stems etc.

Is vanos that unreliable? I thought it just got rattly / f**ked seals. Just rebuild the vanos while it's out.

That's a bit of extra money for a new engine and seals. Swap in the non vanos gear and spend the extra money on a cam or something else that will make you grin.