Sign in to follow this  
Ahmedsinc

SP Tools

Looking for recommendations for a set of metric spanners. Have seen SP Tools around for what seem to be reasonable prices, has anyone owned / used these before?

Would love to go to Stahlwille or similar but I don't really have the coin to splash out 1k on spanners for what is after all only a home workshop.

Any advice welcome!

Looking for recommendations for a set of metric spanners. Have seen SP Tools around for what seem to be reasonable prices, has anyone owned / used these before?

Would love to go to Stahlwille or similar but I don't really have the coin to splash out 1k on spanners for what is after all only a home workshop.

Any advice welcome!

Haven't seen SP, but I brought heaps of Teng stuff pretty cheap (like 3 sets of spanners, 4 socket sets, pliers... all sorts!) on a run out special, I don't know who usually stocks it now.

I haven't broken any of it, and that's an acheivement! I used them for all sorts of crap, and abused it even, but it's tough. I do stuff like using the 19mm spanner as a leverage bar on a 13mm hoping that either the bolt will come undone or snap off.

Haven't seen SP, but I brought heaps of Teng stuff pretty cheap (like 3 sets of spanners, 4 socket sets, pliers... all sorts!) on a run out special, I don't know who usually stocks it now.

I haven't broken any of it, and that's an acheivement! I used them for all sorts of crap, and abused it even, but it's tough. I do stuff like using the 19mm spanner as a leverage bar on a 13mm hoping that either the bolt will come undone or snap off.

Good to know man, have seen a lot of Teng gear around lately but don't know anyone that has abused it. Would be stoked if I could get my mitts on Sidchrome as well, but Jezus they go for a lot secondhand!

Also hard to find sets that include an 18mm :angry:

If anyone knows of / has a good low profile workshop jack for sale that'd be handy too. Sick of not getting enough clearance / nearly being killed by my $80 Ripco special. Working on cars is fun, ust not when they threaten to fall on you! :ph34r:

What are you doing under a car when it's just on a jack? Please stay safe.

I've got an sp tools spanner set. Sizes between 8 and 24. It does miss 18mm other then that it's handled a bit of use. Can't lock the sp spanners together to get more leverage. A little longer then the usual spanner

I like them but find myself using Barco gear when it's a hard to get bolt

+1 on what James said, are you not using axle stands Matt?

I'll concede to being an amateur. Not suicidal though. More that my little jack is just nearly impossible to use, and I have an abstract sense of humour. Most people think it's autism, but whatever.

Will keep hunting about on tardme then. Maybe one day a decent set will pop up that some other bugger doesn't beat me to first!

As a mechanic ive got a cheap set of Fuller spanners that ive used for almost ten years and theve never given me any problems. I regualty join two spanners to make a longer one but I dont abuse them, you need to know what there limits are. I also have a set of starwille spanners (imperial) and these are much better to deal with and the thin wall ring end is a huge plus ( I never extend spanners with this set).

One big key is never use the open end if its tight because its a really easy way to turn a small job into a big one.

SP tools are ok and will be more than ample for home use.

And great advise on the stands as said above. ive seen cars fall of jacks and it happens quicker than you might think.

Edited by Steve K-B

SP tools are reasonably well priced for what they are as a mid ranged quality tool. Autostop stock them and id be happy to pass on our workshop discount if you want a competitive price.

I went with Teng as I know their quality is bested by only a few other manufacturers and their price is a hell of a lot cheaper than snap-on, Stahlwille and the likes. Their spanners are almost identical to snap-on minus the gripping ridges in the open end of the snap-on. Stahlwille's thinner ring end is very handy but not necessary imo, where there's a will there's a way.

When it comes to abusing Teng they have a lifetime warranty for any type of breakage due to incorrect operation or manufacturers fault so abuse away.

http://www.tengtools.com/finetoolsapi/Fine...%2792620%27/%3E

Auckand engineering supplies do a 15% discount for bimmersport members...

edit: please don't be a fool and get under a car without stands, you can pick up a pair for next to nothing. A bigger jack isn't safer, just means it'll fall from greater height.

Edited by André3000

Can do a better deal then 15% off on most items.

I have a long series Gear wrench branded non ratcheting Ring and open set polished finish from 8-22mm in 1mm rises including 18mm probably the only set in shop that includes 18mm?!

Nice spanner set with lifetime warranty.

Retail= $220inc

Can go to 30% off on this set $160 inc

Will look into low profile jacks and get back to you. .

Thanks.

Am in the engineering industry and have bought tools for employees of different brands.

Most of the made in china just wont go the distance.

I have bought lots of second hand Stalwillie off trade me, and at a fraction of the price, it just takes time to get what you want. If you are not in a hurry to get all the tools, shop around and get brands that will last, it will be cheaper in the end.

Sorry cant upload pics as getting a timezone warning??

anyway can chuck in a free Gear wrench T-shirt as well.

Hi,

Another good place for tools if you are not in a hurry is ebay America, I brought a set of 9 1/4 drive snapon tube sockets in a snapon box like new for 90.00 nz dollars.

I have Stahlwille metric and imperial sets which I slowly built up over a number of years by buying the size spanner I needed when I could afford it, nothing wrong with either of your choices both good choices.

Dave

Edited by 87M3@NZ

And great advise on the stands as said above. ive seen cars fall of jacks and it happens quicker than you might think.

edit: please don't be a fool and get under a car without stands, you can pick up a pair for next to nothing. A bigger jack isn't safer, just means it'll fall from greater height.

Yes I use stands. As mentioned earlier, I'm an amateur, not suicidal. I own four of them, my only issue is not getting enough clearance with my current jack to gain a suitable working height under the 3er. With my increasing girth I need more room than I used to in years gone by.

Perhaps my brand of humour is a little more obscure that I thought. Didn't mean to cause any alarm.

18mm is a pain to find, but without one I can't get the front struts out. Yay for odd Germans!

@Miles; Sounds good mate, let me know how you go with the jacks too :)