Sign in to follow this  
Steve K-B

Steering quickner

I don't particularly like how slow my steering ratio is so started to look into a couple of options. Z3 rack looks like the go but has any one used a steering quickner before? Ive been told you can loose a bit of feel through the steering wheel but would like to hear if from some one who actually has one.

I have no idea if there even road legal...

Another option could be to use something like this http://slrspeed.com/applications/e36-race/

You could go without the control arms. And the roll center and bump steer might be a little off depending on your ride height

Not sure if legal though. A bit more legit then this sort of thing http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-...n-629759730.htm

have you noticed the answer to every question on the SLR speed website is basically yes give me money no refunds....

i have seen people use steering quickeners but only in hotrods where they cruise around, i believe due to the ratio dropping on the way back if you double the speed you halve the feedback and correction force.

those kits will be good if you want stupid lock but your e36 should have enough lock as is, you just need it faster.

Stock E30 rack = 4.0 turns lock-to-lock

E30 M3 rack = 3.5 turns lock-to-lock

All E36 rack (except '95 M3) = 3.2 turns lock-to-lock

'95 M3 rack = 3.0 turns lock-to-lock

Z3 rack = 2.7 turns lock-to-lock

im not sure about overall lengths, if it doesnt actually move the tie rod ends the same difference you may be fighting a losing battle.

but z3 rack looks a winner, if you cant get one a m3 rack isnt far behind.

long story short, easier to find a new steering rack halfway through a targa if it breaks than it is to find a new quickener.

just an update

Z3 non-M racks are all the same.

- LINEAR ratio (same rack travel per input turn across the entire rack length)

- 53.5 mm of linear rack travel per 1 360 degree rotation input.

- 144.5 mm of total rack travel (translates to 2.7 turns L2L)

- installed 13.9:1 ratio

Z3 M racks and '96+ E36 M3 racks are the same.

- PROGRESSIVE ratio (rack is slower on-center, quicker towards L&R rack locks)

- 45.5 mm of linear rack travel on-center per 1 360 degree rotation input.

- 145.6 mm of total rack travel(translates to 3.2 turns L2L)

- installed 15.6:1 mean ratio

- Same p/n rack as E36 non-M, but locks were modified to shorten gear travel from 154.7 to 145.6mm

'95 M3 racks are the slowest and shortest of all US-spec E36 racks, until 200 deg of rotation from on-center.

- PROGRESSIVE ratio

- 39.0 mm of linear rack travel on-center per 1 360 degree rotation input.

- 117mm of total rack travel (translates to 3.0 turns L2L)

- installed 17.6:1 mean ratio

M3 rack is actually inferior as it doesnt move as far due to different steering geometries on m3 spindles.

I'd say that those SLR versions with the rose joints will require a certifier to have a good look at them. The other issue is that they are going to wear quickly with the dirt and dust they'll be subjected to on the road. I've avoided using adjustable rose jointed arms for these two reasons.

also

sport quick rack from some e46 models

3 turns and linear

have most types in stock

I should of said shorten the steering knuckle. But not in the way that the trademe link has done. Welding to cast will not pass a cert.

This will increase the "steering quickness". You will gain more lock(if you don't adjust your limiters) and you will get there in the same amount of turns as before.

yea anything welded no matter how well on cast iron will not stand up to rally.

it can be welded but first hit will shear it.

Thanks for all the info and replys.

That SLR stuff looks pretty good but not ideal in a rally environment and im not going down the road of welding my steering knuckle.

A Z3 rack is what ill will probably go for but I was hoping to find someone who had a quickner in a rally/race car but maybe its just the hot rod guys who run them.

Ill PM you Brent.

Cheers

slightly unrelated but i have heard of people adjusting racks to give better feel and more feedback through the wheel by reducing the amount of power assist

not sure if bmw racks can be done like this, in saying that going for a faster rack should give a heavier feel anyway.