Sign in to follow this  
bem-on

323i computer?

heres the thing, i was having a look at my wiring today cos my temp gage had been playing up and i found that my 320i is running on a 323i computer.

when i bought the car of this old guy he said that the engine had been change but failed to mentioned any thing about a bigger engine.

so my question is could my 320i really be a 323i? or do they run the same computer and such?

i doubt the bigger engine for they way it performs.

There are numbers on the case. check them and i will look at the two spare computers that i have for 323i.

What year is the car.

there is a number on the block down by the sump, that on both of my 323i motors starts with 23xxxx xxxxxx

I wonder if that is the designation? <_<

the computer has a sticker on it that reads BOSCH 078 (0 280 001 301) and in vivid 323i computer 84

the number on the block looks like its been taken off. theres no numbers there just a rectangle with two screw holes on each side. theres a number on the injectors that read 23.0357.00 and 11 in a small circle and 84 in another.

the cars an 84

Guest Andrew

and to answer your question about the computer -

the 320 and 323 pre 88 shared the same TYPE of FI and computer - but not the same ECU exactly

88+ there was no 323

Guest Andrew

the computer has a sticker on it that reads BOSCH 078 (0 280 001 301) and in vivid 323i computer 84

the number on the block looks like its been taken off. theres no numbers there just a rectangle with two screw holes on each side. theres a number on the injectors that read 23.0357.00 and 11 in a small circle and 84 in another.

the cars an 84

Bosch Motronic 087?

You have a 320 -

OK.

as checked with the two ECU's at home. What you have is the same. Same numbers.

I would assume then that the motor may also be 2.3lt.

Have checked on the spare motor. The number is on a flat piece of casting directly below the distributor, behind the power steering pump.

On all 3 of my 323i motors it starts with 23 xxx xxxx.

Have yet to compare with a 2.0 motor if that number is differant. Anyone got one that they can see?

Also is L-JET.

Edited by Hartage

Well, seems that the first 2 numbers do indicate the engine capacity...

looked through some of the motors I have here, first numbers always same as capacity ie

20 6E B xxxxxxx is a 2 litre M20 motor

25 6E 1 xxxxxxx is a 2.5 litre M20 motor

20 6K x xxxxxxx is a 2 litre M20 motor

27 6E B xxxxxxx is a 2.7 litre M20 motor

25 6E x xxxxxxx is a 2.5 litre M20 motor

Don't have any 2.3 motors here so can't absolutely confirm the 2.3 bit but seems pretty certain that it would follow suit.

learn something every day.. B)

Guest Andrew

"BOSCH 078 (0 280 001 301)" I'm sure is a motronic ECU - as I'm holding one right now?

ECU 078 and various firmware revision.

As topless and Hartage have said, the only way you're going to know what engine you have is to check the casting number on your engine, it'll be a 20 or 23, the ECU isn't really conclusive so I wouldn't go on that if I were you.

The number is on the front left of the engine, around about where the power steering unit is.

the numbers are 20 6e b 22713611 so im guessing its a 2lt which has left me confused. im guessing that the injectors may be the only thing that were changed, that or the engine was off a facelift e30. but 88+ there were no 323i right? and Andrew the computer runs motronics right? so that suggest that who ever write 323i on the computer was wrong.

does any one have motronic injectors could they confirm these numbers that were off mine? hate to be running the wrong ecu

or would it be easier if i post a pic.

hay cheers guys, this has been very helful

Does the car run alright, do you really need to bother with all this???

Carl,

you lose sleep over the fact that you are .02 of a sec slower round the track at manfield.

:P

nah it doesnt i have a problem with 4th gear doesnt rev past 3000rpms and im sure this may have some thing to do with something and theres parts im needing and this would help to ensure that i get the right ones.

thanx

Carl,

you lose sleep over the fact that you are .02 of a sec slower round the track at manfield.

:P

Insolent swines the lot of ya

If it ain't broke...make it better