Sign in to follow this  
lord_jagganath

Oversized Tyres.

I am thinking of getting these with decent rubber,

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=638488940

However, my existing rims are 225/60-15.

Tire Size Comparison

Specification Sidewall Radius Diameter Circumference Revs/Mile Difference

225/60-15 5.3in 12.8in 25.6in 80.5in 787 0.0%

235/60-16 5.6in 13.6in 27.1in 85.1in 744 5.7%

does that 0.7% make all the difference? Would it be too high?

which make these http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=638678581 attractive as they look good and are only 0.9% oversized. (and 250 cheaper). Gotta love style 5s though.

Edited by The Juggernaut

Oh .. Yes

That was just to show that the tire is 5.7% larger in radius than the stock. What I am concerned is is that legal?

It's legal as long as the tyres don't stick out from the fenders. which they won't. The next thing to ask is...is it practical? And that's when www.willtheyfit.com comes in.

too big ,thats std e38 7 series profile etc .

Good point guys, the acceleration is leisurely as it is ... 5% increase would lead to even less acceleration ... but better top end i suppose..

Other option is to get it and put lower profile tyres ... 55, but there's that added cost.. :sigh:

oh well, will keep exploring.

I think 17x8's on an E34 are the way to go, good balance between looks,performance and comfort. Tyres are around the same price also or even cheaper than 16's but not as expensive or harsh as 18's.

Actually... those taller may may give you slower accelleration, lower top speed (struggling more) AND higher fuel consumption. Possibly.

6% is quite a noticable increase in gearing. You may find it needs to change down a gear more often, and use more throttle to acheive the same speeds.

Not really comparable, but as an example, I once fitted tyres that were 7% over of an 850cc Daihatsu Mira (came with the mags). 5th gear was basically unusable, on a particular hill where 4th would normally hold 70K until the sharp top corner, I had to change into third and use full throttle up the entire hill, and it still slowed down. Even after I accounted for the odometer mis-reading, my fuel consumption was HORRENDOUS - I think it was something like 40% more fuel used!

Same Wheels, $270 but in Palmy..... didn't you get the car down that way??? then just need tyres to suit! They were on my watchlist, so I can ask them to relist, if you want.

Edited by Allanw

I think you'll find it won't make tooooo much of a difference in terms of 'real world driving', & hey - your speedo might even become accurate........ ;)

You have a point there, Allan. Fuel consumption may be higher. It's just that at the moment I feel that the speedo is over reading, 100 is actually 95kph. (no way of confirming this at the moment) Got the car from Tauranga actually, but I can get a freight company to pick up from palmy for under $150 bucks.

The borbets look good though...