Sign in to follow this  
Phil-540i

How bout we lean 'further / harder'......

... we have F1 powerboats for that, no longer can you compete on the basis of the guy with the best technology won? that is how great racing was done, with technology.

Nah, the best racing is done when the fastest guy is the one with the least tech.

• Like 1

It's funny isn't it... When we're goods playing touch or soccer on the local playing field we do everything we can to make the teams as even as possible. If one side's killing it, we swap some players around. I don't think it's because we have an innate sense of fairness as kids, I think it's because we enjoy it a lot more if it's challenging, especially if we manage to win.

As we get older, we lose that. It's no longer about the challenge, it's about winning at all costs. Crushing the competition. Weird, I think.

A level playing field will stop the Larry Ellisons of the world buying victories.

About Larry Ellisons, didn't you know what ORACLE stands for?

O ne

R ich

A *sehole

C alled

L arry

E llisons

Do you know why American girls like kiwi men? Cause we can be on top for a week and still not come first.

• Like 1

Its a win for NZ

both boats were built here, most of the sailers are from NZ.

either way the bigger the sport gets the more money comes into NZ and the better our technical and manufacturing section gets.

Government would be better off puting that money into tertiary development of this kind of industry.

that being said ORACLE have proved that a plane is faster than a boat, something that we have all been wondering

A level playing field will stop the Larry Ellisons of the world buying victories. Victories are far more satisfying when won on the merit of the competitors not the equipment.

Huh? Have you never watched the americas cup? Its entire history is rich guys doing whatever they can to win (including getting the lawyers out) & this one is no different. The NZ public has been fooled into thinking its a nationalistic sport - its not. ETNZ had a wealthy backer as well.

Ive always been a fan since Australia II (with the exception of the legal wrangling) and must admit i was skeptical of this regatta when only 3 challengers fronted up. But the finals racing has been nothing less than spectacular - i'd happily watch another series of AC72 racing. ETNZ choked - but not when everyone assumes it was at the end. They had their chance & needed to shut the door when it was 8-1 & there were a few tactical errors that really hurt them in the end. After Oracle started coming back the writing was on the wall I'm afraid & the last 4 races were just inevitable after they had found the boat speed.

Would have been awesome to see it come back again - but i think the Oracle team have done a f**king great job winning it after staring down the barrel.

• Like 1