Sign in to follow this  
bravo

Non-bmw manual conversion

I have no loyalty to BMW parts in this particular car - its a damn 320 for starters! The auto may or may not be able to be fixed and I have already been threatened with public humiliation if I even consider putting another auto in (as if I would!)

Anyway, finding an appropriate donor car is proving difficult, and I can forsee the dollars adding up anyway, so was wondering if anyone had heard of anyone out there who had amrried a non-bmw manual in? At this stage price no-object - I don't really care - I just want to know wether its been done.

a 325i or 320i manual wreck shouldnt be too hard to find...they not as uncommon as you may be led to believe. i know Vent (dan) was selling a kit not so long ago

non bmw...surely you could use the current bellhousing mated to a box? probably do able...but not cheap and there is all the added hassle of making the shift work, and pedal box etc

hows the new susp setup treating ya?

Semi-copied from a PM I sent Andrew:

I measured ride height after I emptied my boot - 55mm drop rear 40mm front. About 120mm min ground clearance.

Judder bars own me now. Had the full boot (sub plus old front struts, old rear shocks old springs) and a full backseat on sunday and ground clearance was about 100mm.

Car looks good (front could poss be lower for some tuckage and rake, but that'd prob be detrimental to handling/balance) and I'm pleasantly surprised at how different the car handles. I haven't pushed it enough to notice the extra understeer Andrew predicted, but I have noticed much less oversteer, and when I do get the tail out, it seems much easier to control on the throttle than before. Very flat cornering compared with the old setup.

Also kind of glad I decided on yours - after driving on Northland roads I've decided its plenty firm enough and Andrews would make driving more tiring.

Thanks again for all the hours put in.

Anyway, that aside, anyone put a non-bmw 'box in??? Or anyone got a 320, 323 or 325 manual wreck lying around I could buy??? Preferrably f/l so I can pillage other parts, but anything with a good cond 'box, clutch and diff considered

Just a spare pre-fl auto box sorry :D

We (Bimmersport) will shame you if you take it off my hands.

i have a complete 87 520i manual that goes mint. even with the k jetronics and extra weight it out performs my 320i easy. i was going to put the box in the 320i but i need to get rid of the car as its taking up alot of space i dont have. so if you want it make me an offer.

Edited by bem-on

anyone got a 320, 323 or 325 manual wreck lying around I could buy???  Preferrably f/l so I can pillage other parts, but anything with a good cond 'box, clutch and diff considered

Brent? Edited by BMW POWER

Most people seem to go for the Supra 'box, or Nissan (whatever goes on the back of a RB25DET) don't they? I know they're tough and can handle plenty of power. No idea how hard it is.

I put 325iM springs and bilsteins in the convertible, best I can measure is 115mm to the jacking points/sills. I can now offer to grade gravel roads with the spoiler for a small fee. Minimal understeer, very flat cornering, lots of fun.

Brent?

Already been in contact - he's keeping an eye out.

bme-on - what's involved in putting an e34 gearbox on an e30 - do you know?

The verdict on the auto (as of about three hours ago) is that the seal hasn't gone like I thought, it's just getting tired and I ran it on almost no fluid for awhile I think as my dipstick is a bitch to read. So I can still use the car, but need to start looking at manual options.

I would love to chuck a wee supra or celica box in, but don't want to figure it out from scratch if I can help it, so I'll probably go BMW unless someone has done it and is willing to spend some time giving me advice along the way.

Thanks for the feedback.

I'll post a want to buy thread in a couple of weeks - I made a very hefty purchase today and so will be broke for a couple of weeks till that is sorted out.

Cheers

Just a spare pre-fl auto box sorry :D

We (Bimmersport) will shame you if you take it off my hands.

hey surge, never got to ya about some parts in the end i might need some soon so will give you a yell, have you changed your car to manual now? was it very hard to do?

e28 2lt m20 engine. its the same box and all you need for the conversion. Tim was going to do it for me and still will if you dont want it. i dont really mind the auto. the cars slow any way <_<

I'll let you know. Mechanic couldn't find my so-called leak, and the oil has stopped pissing out of it (self fixed????)

I still want to do a manual conversion, but if the auto can last me a couple more months, I might do the conversion over the xmas break when I can trek down country for a few days and twist somebodies arm to help me do it.

Edited by bravomikewhiskey

Gearbox is shagged - what were you wanting for your one bem-on.

PM me or 021 634747

Cheers

ill have to get back to you on that. Tim may be doing a box conversion for me this weekend so if he does ill be using the box.

Edited by bem-on

i got a place to do it in. at the moment ths weekend is busy but the 8th is looking good.

contear have you read the conversion thread yet?? do so if you havent.

you will need a few parts before i will touch your car. By memory they are listed all there. Any you dont have PM and i will point you in the right direction.