Sign in to follow this  
sam726

What to expect with E24 ownership?

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking at purchasing an E24 as a classic daily driver. Specifically i have a 1979 633CSI Manual on my list. I have owned an E34, E36, E46 but nothing as old as the E24.
I suppose i just want to know what to look out for when getting more information from the current owner, what major problems present themselves and also where the main places are to check for rust. Also i understand there are a few changes on the older ones (like what i'm looking at) compared to newer models so any disadvantages of going for an older model would also be good to know.

Basically any hints, tips, advantages, disadvantages and opinions from current or past owners would be awesome! :)

Cheers,

Expect crappy mileage and horrible rust, especially if its Ex UK.

My father had a 635csi.

Looked ok but sills and bottom of the doors had rusted out pretty badly, Also his had metric wheels so tyres were a bitch to find.

Dont know much else sorry, except they look amazing with a little work like front lip etc

Expect crappy mileage and horrible rust, especially if its Ex UK.

My father had a 635csi.

Looked ok but sills and bottom of the doors had rusted out pretty badly, Also his had metric wheels so tyres were a bitch to find.

Dont know much else sorry, except they look amazing with a little work like front lip etc

Yeh I've heard about rust. It's ex-Germany from 1987. The guy said he has done the rust in the front two guards, next to the struts and said there's nothing structural apart from that, only a small bit of surface rust on one of the doors. I don't think it has metric wheels as they are off a newer shape M model.

Looking amazing is one of the main reasons i want one :D

Watch that surface rust carefully, also undercarriage rust too. so I suppose it is LHD? salty roads in germany too. the E12 based E24 is a nice machine but personally, I'd look at a post '85 machine, but that's me.

Hmm, after you buy it, Id be expecting ya to have lots of loooong conversations about it with admirers when you are out & about in it......... :)

Personally id be wanting at least a '82\83 635csi with the E28 suspension and the stronger M30 engine, parts & upgrades would be alot harder to get otherwise.

Watch that surface rust carefully, also undercarriage rust too. so I suppose it is LHD? salty roads in germany too. the E12 based E24 is a nice machine but personally, I'd look at a post '85 machine, but that's me.

I'm waiting for more photos & info about the car but from what i hear its mainly one spot on one of the doors. Its actually RHD which i don't completely understand myself since carjam says imported from Germany 1987, so been in NZ most of its life.

Looking at parts online at eBay and others it seems a lot of things such as suspension arms might show as only suitable for 1983+, so is it fair to say that the main suspension setups changed around early-mid 80's?

Personally id be wanting at least a '82\83 635csi with the E28 suspension and the stronger M30 engine, parts & upgrades would be alot harder to get otherwise.

I'm starting to think this too. Didn't realise just how extensive the changes were between different models of E24. The one I'm looking at seems like a great deal, but maybe for good reason since its harder to upkeep than a later shape E24.

double check where its from

lost of imports came from UK in the earlty days

if the speedo is in miles then most likely from the uk

just check on car jam .

where is the car i may know it??

you need to get these cars up on a hoist to check the underside , you can spend a lot of money on rust etc.

also yes the later e28 based chasis is normally better bet

most body parts , lights , trim is all e24 specific , rare and expensive ,

mechanical and some electrical stuff is not too bad to get especially if its the later e28 based stuff 1982 onwards

double check where its from

lost of imports came from UK in the earlty days

if the speedo is in miles then most likely from the uk

just check on car jam .

where is the car i may know it??

you need to get these cars up on a hoist to check the underside , you can spend a lot of money on rust etc.

also yes the later e28 based chasis is normally better bet

most body parts , lights , trim is all e24 specific , rare and expensive ,

mechanical and some electrical stuff is not too bad to get especially if its the later e28 based stuff 1982 onwards

I think I've now talked myself out of the one i wanted. Would be best to try and find a nice later model E24

Was thinking about this:

http://www.autotrader.co.nz/used-cars-for-sale/bmw-633csi/1133717

I think I've now talked myself out of the one i wanted. Would be best to try and find a nice later model E24

Was thinking about this:

http://www.autotrader.co.nz/used-cars-for-sale/bmw-633csi/1133717

looks ok , cheap enough too for a manual car

633i has less power of corse i think about 200hp

where as the 635csi have 218hp 310Nm

another cheap early one.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-611347341.htm

also early ones have funny brake setups ..

here's a nice one , easy enough to convert to manual with the correct gearbox and pedal box etc .

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-637561406.htm

just be prepaired to keep it a long time and have some money set aside to tidy/service and change/fix things etc

I like the last one, but needs the first one's wheels on it...........

NZ new counts for lots in my book, particularly at that age - even though kms are up a bit, its never seen salt on a road anywhere, although you can'nt cover yourself completely in that it may have lived by a beach sometime in it's life I suppose. I think its probably 1k or so too expensive with its current price.

The LHD one at Turners has been for sale for ages, & gets progressively cheaper as time marches on. I'd avoid it personally, no matter how cheap it gets - LHD is a PITA, & in comparison with the NZ new one - it'll always be a bit of a orphan really I think...

would only consider a late late one,unfortunately nice ones are rare and will command a good price

looks ok , cheap enough too for a manual car

633i has less power of corse i think about 200hp

where as the 635csi have 218hp 310Nm

another cheap early one.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-611347341.htm

also early ones have funny brake setups ..

here's a nice one , easy enough to convert to manual with the correct gearbox and pedal box etc .

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-637561406.htm

just be prepaired to keep it a long time and have some money set aside to tidy/service and change/fix things etc

Think I've been strayed away from getting one now, especially an earlier generation one. I thought that parts were not too bad to find, looking at the likes of eBay and such, but infact now i can see the difficulty in getting parts for those based off an E12!

would only consider a late late one,unfortunately nice ones are rare and will command a good price

Theres an M635CSI on TradeMe asking for 30K so i know what you mean!

Think I'll stay away from an E24, now that I've thought about it more.

Will be in the market for a nice daily drive E46/E39 to tie me over until next year, once someone finall buys my Mazda that is!