Sign in to follow this  
jaimzthedrummer

E36 M3 goodness coming my way!

Hey everyone,

So, this Saturday I'll take ownership of my very first BMW. An E36 M3 in beautiful Avus Blue.

Attached photo is from the TradeMe auction, so some of you may have recognize it. I bought it site unseen but had a good friend test drive it for me, and had Coombes Johnston go over it with a fine tooth comb. Quite a list of things to fix up, but nothing serious... and this is a keeper for me so I'm in no hurry. :-)

Turns out I know the guy who imported it in '97, so I have some good insights into about two-thirds of its life.

Hopefully this will bury a few "fun car" demons for me. My last attempt was importing an R32 GT-R from Japan myself. It looked good on the auction paper, but when it landed I discovered it had serious structural rust so I had to let it go.

I'm looking forward to showing up to a group meeting at some point. I've already spent some time at the BMW Race Series and it seems like a really tight nit group with lots of support and knowledgable peeps.

Take care!

James

Edit: Oh yeah, I'm an Aucklander. :-)

post-51120-0-35649900-1381389212.jpg

Edited by jaimzthedrummer

Nice!! Welcome to the site - hope ya have fun here. Bet its a bit like waiting for Xmas as a kid for ya at the mo - you'll be restless waiting to get into that for the first time..........?? Cheers.

Had that one on the watchlist for a while. Very good price. Hope you enjoy it :)

Yeah, I'm restless as! I've driven a few BMWs before but nothing higher spec'd than a 320 or so. Can't wait!

Ben, I was pretty surprised at the price too. Made me wonder why it hadn't been snapped up sooner - hence getting a full and proper check done on it. About 90% of the problems are superficial. Door trim, Aircon, stone chips, headlining. Stuff like that.

When it was brand new it was stolen from the dealership in UK and had the engine stripped out. When it was recovered it had a new VIN number put on (because...er... that's what they do..?) so maybe some potential buyers got put off because if they checked, it didn't have an M3 VIN. Who knows.

Your M3 looks very tidy!

James

I noticed something funky going on with the door trim in the photos. Looked like it might've had a non-M sport front door transplanted at some point? Anyway I'm sure you'll have a blast restoring it to its rightful condition. :) Immensely fun car to drive with a power band the size of the African Sahara, and handles like its on rails.

Good spotting. Yeah the driver's side door trim is missing.

Looks like it's body colour rather than the black I've seen on yours and other M3s. Any idea if this was a factory option?

The car ended up scraping along a tyre wall at Taupo at some point (previous owner's wife at a track day!). Don't think the door was replaced but can find out from him.

And yeah, restoration is the name of my game. Not interested in big horsepower. I'm sure it's enough as it is (and only going to the back wheels... I'm used to all-wheel drives!)

I'm looking forward to learning a decent heel-toe technique too. None of my previous cars' pedal boxes have been easy to do this on. I've heard the 3-series pedals are excellent for it. Bottom-hinged accelerator probably helps.

Fun and games! Can't wait! :lol:

• Like 1

I've found mine terrible to try heal tow as the gas pedal is so much lower than the brake but that might just be me.

Also welcome from another e36 m3 owner. I did see your car also on trademe and thought it was a bargin. I've just been through the process your going to encounter fixing up wee bits and pieces to make it new again. I'm surprised no bushes or mounts were picked up on your pp inspection. Must still be in good condition.

• Like 1

Good work james glad you got it and hope to see you around with it soon.

Thanks guys. I can feeeeel the love. ^_^

When the previous owner swapped out the suspension for the Koni Ground Effects set (about 10 years ago) he did all the bushes etc, powder coated all components and sealed the underbody. Bonus.

See you guys at the next meet. I see there's a dyno day this Saturday but I don't think the car will arrive in time!

James

Nice one James!

Drop by anyway, to have a chat and have serious HP envy ( or in your case just before gratification :P )

Great Car. Factory spec e36 M3 with those wheels hard to come by now days.

Sweet. I'll see how I go for the dyno day. I haven't been to one since I had my VR-4 Legnum! Ah... the memories.

Got a meeting from 10am-2pm so that might rule it out.

So, my M3 has arrived! :P

First impressions: It feels quite old, but potent. Very similar to the Audi RS2 I took care of a couple of years ago. Power delivery is different to what I was expecting - not quite as much torque down low as there could be, but above about 4krpm it feels more at home... and starts making a great sound!

Lots of little bits and pieces to fix up, so I'll be trawling the forums to find all the little tricks.

First up is to change the engine and drivetrain oil (I'll also drop the sump pan out and check on that infamous oil pump nut), find some driver's door trim, find out why the left wiper is binding against the bonnet, and make my way around all the nooks and crannys cleaning up the grime.

Fun times ahead! Look forward to my first club meet!

James

• Like 1

Looks like a satisfying little daily project. Had this on my watchlist for a while but was a tad above my price range, good to see it went to a good home!

Hi, nice m3. You have purchased the exact car I am looking for. Maybe you can see if they had an extra one! :).

I'm not sure if it's you but I drive past a house in Remuera every night after work and there is one of these sitting in the driveway. I have been meaning to stop in and see if they are interested in selling...is there any chance this is your car?

Hey everyone,

So, this Saturday I'll take ownership of my very first BMW. An E36 M3 in beautiful Avus Blue.

Attached photo is from the TradeMe auction, so some of you may have recognize it. I bought it site unseen but had a good friend test drive it for me, and had Coombes Johnston go over it with a fine tooth comb. Quite a list of things to fix up, but nothing serious... and this is a keeper for me so I'm in no hurry. :-)

Turns out I know the guy who imported it in '97, so I have some good insights into about two-thirds of its life.

Hopefully this will bury a few "fun car" demons for me. My last attempt was importing an R32 GT-R from Japan myself. It looked good on the auction paper, but when it landed I discovered it had serious structural rust so I had to let it go.

I'm looking forward to showing up to a group meeting at some point. I've already spent some time at the BMW Race Series and it seems like a really tight nit group with lots of support and knowledgable peeps.

Take care!

James

Edit: Oh yeah, I'm an Aucklander. :-)

The vanos is amazing when the seals are right. I would say your lack of power down low is because of the vanos seals being worn.

When I changed my seals I had a power increase of 11kw.

Nice car mate, I'm sure you will love it. The handling is superb. Multilink in the rear..... :)

Nigel Aston

Hey guys,

Sorry for the late reply, haven't checked up for a while.

Richard, I live in Ellerslie mate, so it can't be mine. I do drive through Remuera a bit though, so maybe you've seen me on the road. I'm happy for you to come visit anytime (send me a PM), but I'm not interested in selling I'm afraid. I'm just getting started with this thing. ;)

Nigel, thanks for the headsup about the Vanos. It's only my to do list, but ain't at the top. Gotta budget all this out otherwise it'll get out of control pretty quickly!

Might catch up with you gents at the next meet.

James

• Like 1

Hi, nice m3. You have purchased the exact car I am looking for. Maybe you can see if they had an extra one! :).

I'm not sure if it's you but I drive past a house in Remuera every night after work and there is one of these sitting in the driveway. I have been meaning to stop in and see if they are interested in selling...is there any chance this is your car?

I know the car you're talking about (or at least another one in a driveway in Remuera), and it is for sale, albeit overpriced and complete with dog hair (see: http://bimmersport.co.nz/topic/46530-e36-m3-dreamer/)

Here's the auction: http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/e36/auction-653500593.htm

He has since taken the photos with his dog on the leather out of the auction. Lol..

Edited by Tristan

Hey mate. Good to hear your are in it for the long haul. I'll be there soon! Just gotta find my car!! Definitely keen to take a look at your car and also hear what you looked for etc. Drop me a txt 021620633 or let me know if your going to one of the meets with the club and ill catch you there.

Hey guys,

Sorry for the late reply, haven't checked up for a while.

Richard, I live in Ellerslie mate, so it can't be mine. I do drive through Remuera a bit though, so maybe you've seen me on the road. I'm happy for you to come visit anytime (send me a PM), but I'm not interested in selling I'm afraid. I'm just getting started with this thing. ;)

Nigel, thanks for the headsup about the Vanos. It's only my to do list, but ain't at the top. Gotta budget all this out otherwise it'll get out of control pretty quickly!

Might catch up with you gents at the next meet.

James